Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:59 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Hilton Mission Bay...

I just love the Hilton on Mission Bay. As a Diamond, you get a nice breakfast and the restaurant has great views. If you are a runner/walker, you can have a nice run in the a.m. around the bay. I love the rooms facing the water....they are really nice and the balconies are actually large enough to sit outside and enjoy the view!

Great gym also...free, of course, to Gold/Diamonds.

Dawn
Old Apr 11, 2004, 9:38 am

San Diego Properties

Doubletree Mission Valley is a great property but as many times as I have stayed there have never been upgraded to a suite, but the bar is large and nice as is the restaurant and as a Diamond/Gold you get access to the complimentary 5-7Pm reception which gives you free hors d vours (which are very good) you do pay for drinks. They also try to get you to pay for parking sometimes $8 a day. They don't always try to though.

Doubletree Club Hotel is not as nice a property as it used to be a radisson or some other companies property before. No Room service available and the restaurant is average at best. Although since becoming a diamond I have had 100% upgrades to a suite. It is nice having a suite although they are not large suites just two small rooms.

Hilton San Diego Resort was nice I only stayed there once. I don't believe that they have any suites and the property has a bunch of buildings not just one main tower. It is setup sort of like a motel in that you enter you room from the outside so security is not as good.

Stay at the Doubletree Mission Valley if you can afford it. Oh yeah stayed at the Hilton Mission Valley and did not like it.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 2:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Thanks

I think the ability to search only goes back to the new board, there isn't any way that there are only 17 threads on the board that have San Diego in them
I did try though.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 3:40 pm

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)
Thumbs up Hilton Mission Bay

I'm a Gold and stayed at Hilton Resort on Mission Bay last May. We were upgraded to a beautiful waterfront room and given the breakfast certs without asking. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We also finished every evening with a long walk on the walk/bikeway that circles the bay.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 4:42 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by dmanphoenix
Stay at the Doubletree Mission Valley if you can afford it. .
Yeah, the DT Mission Valley is rather nice. And it's right next to the light rail station so it's easy access to places. Shuttle to and from airport is convenient. Pool area is very nicely done. Easy walking distance to some grocery stores, etc. so you can get resupplied with drinks and fruits, etc. Not bad at all.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I've stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown for a week (not by choice... got stuck there on 9/11). Frankly (and I know you don't want to hear this), I thought the Hampton Inn down the street was fabulous. It was one of the NICEST HI's I have every stayed in (and I stay in a lot) and much nicer than a lot of the Hiltons and Doubletrees where I stay. They had a great art collection in the hotel... both in the downstairs lobby (lots of blown glass) and in the rooms.

The Embassy Suites is your typical "open up on the courtyard", free drinks at night ES. Unless they have remodeled since I was last there, it was very average.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 6:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I'll hear nice and Hampton Inn together, it's just that most of them are cookie cutter buildings without any character. Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Try the Hilton Gaslamp downtown. Very nice hotel !!! ^
Old Apr 12, 2004, 6:21 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where do your friends live?

If DT or you are meeting them there, Gaslamp would be my #1 choice. If they are out in the 'burbs or you want to be near Del Mar beach, the DT Del Mar had surprisingly nice rooms when we stayed there last month while our house had no power.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
We had a very nice stay at the Hilton Torrey Pines a couple of weekends ago. As Gold we were upgraded to a golf course view. But this hotel may not be convenient for being near your friends.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:52 pm

My vote is for...

the Gaslamp Hilton. You are right downtown and will enjoy the Gaslamp. I do agree with littleleaguemom about where your friends are though. If your up around Rancho Bernardo, the DT resort there is very nice and the golf course is very nice.

Let us know where your friends live and if your going to want to do anything on your own. That way we may be able to help a little more.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cordelli
I'll hear nice and Hampton Inn together, it's just that most of them are cookie cutter buildings without any character. Thanks.
that would be the hampton seaworld/airport
Old Apr 15, 2004, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
Thinking of visiting some friends in San Diego for a weekend at the end of the month, which Hilton property do people recommend, or more important, which ones to stay away from? Looking at Hilton or Embassy level or Doubletree Suites level, not interested in HGI or HI this trip.

Many Thanks all.
I have stayed at the Embassy Suites in La Jolla a few times and liked it a lot and it was only a 15 min drive to San Diego.

I have also had the unfortunate experience with having to stay at the Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport Area. Stay away from this location. This property is run like a pre-school with out a teacher! Worst of all the location is “In the hood” and one of the highest crime area’s in San Diego.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:51 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
What's with the prices at Hiltons in San Diego? Thinking of doing a weekend run there in Jul/Aug (Specifically looking at Jul 31st) but it seems all weekend rates are $250+. Don't remember it being that expensive when I stayed at the Gaslamp before, is there something going on that weekend or is this normal? Even the airport hilton is $160. Welcome to california?
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hauteboy
What's with the prices at Hiltons in San Diego? Thinking of doing a weekend run there in Jul/Aug (Specifically looking at Jul 31st) but it seems all weekend rates are $250+. Don't remember it being that expensive when I stayed at the Gaslamp before, is there something going on that weekend or is this normal? Even the airport hilton is $160. Welcome to california?
Let me think... summer in San Diego sounds like a nice place to go! I suspect buzzy summer season means higher fares. Look at mid week rates vs weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.