Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in British Columbia, Canada {CAN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in British Columbia, Canada {CAN}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Vancouver fully booked?

Looking to spend four nights in YVR in mid-June. Not one Hilton property has any rooms available. They are all posting ‘ring us for availability’ notes. Expedia showing rooms at fairly reasonable rates for my travel dates at the Hilton and Hampton Inn.
i am attending a trade show but it is not that big a deal for a city like YVR.
reluctant to use an OTA as I won’t get my points but I think it is strange of Hilton to have nothing via their website but make availability via a third party.
eill see what my travel agent can secure.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Might have been on HH's website during the routine late night maintenance over the weekends.

I wish HH would come up with more properties in the city. It's sad when their best property is a Hampton Inn unless you need to be in Metrotown or by YVR
YOWCDNFF likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Might have been on HH's website during the routine late night maintenance over the weekends.

I wish HH would come up with more properties in the city. It's sad when their best property is a Hampton Inn unless you need to be in Metrotown or by YVR
Marriott/SPG have an insane amount of properties in the core area and even Fairmont has more exposure than HH. As management agreements expire, I would not be shocked to see a mid-range property become available for a rebranding as a Doubletree. Pure speculation on my part, but it would be way to expensive to build something brand new in the core at the moment (+ lack of space)
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
This. Odds are it wasn't just Vancouver, but every hotel in the world that was "call for availability". It's a standard thing every Saturday night US time.

Why it is that a major GLOBAL chain needs such an outage every single week - at a time which is in the middle of a work day for at least some of the countries they have properties in - is something that really makes no sense in 2018...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I'm seeing availability for mid june, at the Hampton except for June 21 - 24 and for the Hilton Metrotown except for June 18 - 22. Besides whatever conference is happening you have to remember that this will be prime Alaska cruise season.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
As a frequent visitor to Vancouver, there are times when the city is just booked.

Especially HH hotels. For whatever reason, the city can hit hotel capacity quickly and often
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I'm seeing availability for mid june, at the Hampton except for June 21 - 24 and for the Hilton Metrotown except for June 18 - 22. Besides whatever conference is happening you have to remember that this will be prime Alaska cruise season.
Thanks Jerry. I have rechecked and rates are now showing, though USD350 for a night in the Hampton Inn is a bit steep. However, it seems to be their only downtown property.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Thanks Jerry. I have rechecked and rates are now showing, though USD350 for a night in the Hampton Inn is a bit steep. However, it seems to be their only downtown property.
The HH options are thin in YVR. I've always had to book Fairmont or Marriott properties here. $350 for a Hampton Inn is insane. The Metrotown property is nowhere near downtown.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by ptownca
The HH options are thin in YVR. I've always had to book Fairmont or Marriott properties here. $350 for a Hampton Inn is insane. The Metrotown property is nowhere near downtown.
Emphasis added .
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Sometimes property will post rooms with a min/max stay requirement. So when I was on the road all the time and spending multiple nights at a property, I'd check each day individually and then each combination of days. Then I'd stitch together reservations resulting in the lowest total spend. Most properties would allow me to stay in the same room, but I always agreed to move if needed. Sometimes this got me into better rooms, sometimes not. Room rates is a pricing game and checking all combinations can work to your advantage.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Hilton's future plans for Vancouver, Canada?

In my opinion, Hilton's footprint in Vancouver is kind of weak. Does Hilton have any plans to expand in Vancouver?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:45 pm

Not that I'm aware of, but then again I don't work in Corporate Strategy at Hilton...

I do find it strange that there is such a big city that is a glaring hole in the portfolio - Taipei was another example until pretty recently - but then again the world is a big place, and statistics applies, so there's bound to be an outlier here or there.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
It is odd... I was looking for a 1 night stay a couple months ago to kick off a promo and ended up at the lousy Hampton by the airport.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by MarkCron
It is odd... I was looking for a 1 night stay a couple months ago to kick off a promo and ended up at the lousy Hampton by the airport.
I like that little Hampton. Sure it is crappy but it has some charm to it...I don't know why...maybe because I've spent too many nights there

At least you went there post renovations I assume
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:13 pm

Unless they want to build their own hotel (which would be very rare), it's not really up to Hilton. If there aren't any developers thinking of building a new hotel, they only thing a hotel group can do is to try to poach an existing hotel from a competitor. Given the significant costs involved in changing brands, that's not something most hotels are keen to do. Hilton would have to give a lot of "free stuff" to a hotel to compensate for conversion costs (physical things like signage as well as labor costs for training).

Because the hotel industry is basically all franchises, the big hotel groups really are at the mercy of third party companies when it comes to expansion. If no local developers are building (or if funding for large construction projects becomes scarce due to a recession), there's not much that a hotel group can do unless they put up their own money.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.