Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Old Jan 26, 14, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection hotel property.

Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Old Sep 11, 22, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Recently stayed under a wedding rate, had two small children with us which mean we couldn't all be in a base room. They were kind enough to confirm an advanced upgrade to alcove suite (diamond status) to accommodate us without making us book two rooms for a 5 and 1 year old. Room was nice, not my style at all but quite roomy and fairly well maintained. Service twice daily was a pleasant surprise relative to the post-covid service standards at many hotels. Kids activities at pool and kids club were a huge plus for us.

Breakfast buffet was fairly average IMO, honestly more and more would just rather a single, well executed breakfast entree than a bunch of lunch meat, not-quite-hot eggs, dry bread, etc. Outside of Asia never seems to be that good.

Taxi from city was 10-15 euro.

I think if looking for true 5* there are several in the city that look better (with rates to match - 600-1000 plus). But with kids this did have its advantages.
Old Oct 6, 22, 11:51 pm

Sofa Bed Size???

Going to be doing two 2-night stays in Rome next year on each side of cruise. Staying more central for one of them but considering this for some free night certificates for the other. I see the deluxe rooms (standard point level) have a sofa bed. The pictures make it look like a standard double size bed but room capacity says 3. Anyone know how flexible they are if we want to get just the one room for us and 2 kids???

Seems like a nice splurge hotel especially if we can get all 4 of us in one room - not a whole lot of 4 person room options for a reasonable price or points.
Old Oct 7, 22, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
As I noted in my post above, they at least by email were quite strict on occupancy even for us having a 5 and a 1 year old making up our 4 people (similar to most hotels I've encountered in Europe). That said, I have diamond status and they nicely confirmed an upgrade in advance - ymmv. So it may be worth booking as 2 since the system would block out single rooms for 4 and then emailing them to see if there is flexibility.
Old Oct 17, 22, 1:19 pm

Recent stay was a mixed bag. No recognition of diamond status other than free breakfast and late checkout. Room was smaller with limited view. Spa and exercise rooms are nice. Huge steam room. Breakfast buffet was a nice variety but lunch service was slow. Beware of Valet service as they are not part hotel and hotel was quick to disclaim any responsibility for damage to car by Valet service even if caught on hotel video, so it seems this may unfortunately be all too common. Does not take much for Italy rental car places to ding you for $500 or $1,000 or more for the Valet caused damage .
Old Oct 18, 22, 4:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by tofromord View Post
Recent stay was a mixed bag. No recognition of diamond status other than free breakfast and late checkout. Room was smaller with limited view. Spa and exercise rooms are nice. Huge steam room. Breakfast buffet was a nice variety but lunch service was slow. Beware of Valet service as they are not part hotel and hotel was quick to disclaim any responsibility for damage to car by Valet service even if caught on hotel video, so it seems this may unfortunately be all too common. Does not take much for Italy rental car places to ding you for $500 or $1,000 or more for the Valet caused damage .
You'll save a lot of hassle and money by parking yourself (totally free) anywhere along the very long public road that runs outside the hotel fence.
Old Oct 26, 22, 4:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Just wondered what experience people had of paid upgrades. Booked 5 nights on points next September in a king deluxe. Extra cost of an Imperial Room on Hilton.com was about 80 euros plus tax, but when I emailed hotel enquiring about a paid upgrade they quoted me 250 euros, which seemed very steep.
Old Oct 26, 22, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by nicholasashaw View Post
Just wondered what experience people had of paid upgrades. Booked 5 nights on points next September in a king deluxe. Extra cost of an Imperial Room on Hilton.com was about 80 euros plus tax, but when I emailed hotel enquiring about a paid upgrade they quoted me 250 euros, which seemed very steep.
What does the NOR1 show? -"Upgrade" option showing in the App.
Old Oct 26, 22, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
Do you have Hilton status? Several years ago, I had booked an 8 night standard award stay on points as a Diamond. I emailed the hotel and requested an upgrade to a larger room. Upon arrival, they took us over to the Hhonors check-in and we received a free upgrade to the Vista Suite. I'm pretty sure they would not have done this if I wasn't a Diamond.

I suggest waiting till you arrive to see what they say with the inventory known at the time. Otherwise, if no status, you can upgrade through that email they usually send a few days before your arrival.
Old Oct 26, 22, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
What does the NOR1 show? -"Upgrade" option showing in the App.
No upgrade option yet, maybe because booking is in 11 months time - think I'll hang on and see what appears closer to the time.
Old Oct 26, 22, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by jzafar View Post
Do you have Hilton status? Several years ago, I had booked an 8 night standard award stay on points as a Diamond. I emailed the hotel and requested an upgrade to a larger room. Upon arrival, they took us over to the Hhonors check-in and we received a free upgrade to the Vista Suite. I'm pretty sure they would not have done this if I wasn't a Diamond.

I suggest waiting till you arrive to see what they say with the inventory known at the time. Otherwise, if no status, you can upgrade through that email they usually send a few days before your arrival.
Yes, I'm diamond and have visited the hotel a few times - normally been upgraded from Imperial Car Park view (cant remember what they call it !!) to Imperial Rome view, so I'm going to take your advice and hang on. cheers.
Old Oct 26, 22, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
Yes, I'm diamond and have visited the hotel a few times - normally been upgraded from Imperial Car Park view (cant remember what they call it !!) to Imperial Rome view, so I'm going to take your advice and hang on. cheers.
Yes, I have heard that this hotel sometimes considers an upgrade to be the better view. Please do share what ends up happening. I would love to return to this beautiful hotel.
Old Dec 3, 22, 12:09 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Stayed here for one night a few days ago. As a diamond, I was first upgraded from King deluxe to King deluxe with Park view 3 days before arrival. There was also an email with an upgrade to Imperial room for about 100 Euros but did not bid since I would be spending most of my time in the city. During check-in, I was informed I got a double upgrade - I got a premium room with Rome view, perhaps due to a big group staying that night, saw a few guests checking-in late in the evening.

The breakfast buffet restaurant was full and we had to wait for like 5-10 minutes. They even had tables outside the restaurant for guests to use during breakfast. Maybe I got spoiled by the excellent breakfast buffet at WA DFC in January but the one here was not impressive. The sausages were not warm unfortunately. I did not see any smoked salmon (or maybe I missed it). Still, it was cool to have stayed here, enjoying the arts on display, and of course the view of Rome from the balcony.

View of Rome, the Eternal City

Views at night: St. Peters Basilica and the Castel Sant'Angelo

Long queue in the morning for breakfast.
yrtrvl likes this.
Old Dec 12, 22, 12:24 am

Im thinking of booking this as an award stay. Its being offered for 80k per night. Hope its worth it as well as if I would offered any upgrades.

Search this Thread