Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Gradfly
Was the change on their end? I was under the impression that only guests can make that change. Also, as a Diamond, second guest is free.
It must be. I didn’t change it, just listed my second guest (my brother) at booking as I always have done. Reservation was otherwise unchanged. Still the same King Deluxe so no advance room upgrade.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:53 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Just noticed that my upcoming reservation has been changed from 1 person to 2 people, with corresponding increase in rate. Ugh. First time this has happened in multiple stays here.
I always find this a PITA at lots of hotels especially in Japan where the rate can be a day and night different if you have 1 or 2 persons in the room. A few times I had received comments on this, but everytime when I point out that as an HHonor member I am eligible for the 2nd guest stay free they do back down a bit.
Worst is when hotels offers those single bed room (which has the lowest rate) which makes the situation even more complicated.

What I'll do is just work this out with the hotel when you arrive since you do have your original reservation and rate. Just point it out to them that you have the 2nd person stay free benefit.

Cheers!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National

It must be. I didn’t change it, just listed my second guest (my brother) at booking as I always have done. Reservation was otherwise unchanged. Still the same King Deluxe so no advance room upgrade.
Hmm that's weird, I've stayed here before and added a guest at check-in with no problems. However mine were either points or point+cash stays, so rate increases wouldn't/shouldn't be expected.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
What I'll do is just work this out with the hotel when you arrive since you do have your original reservation and rate. Just point it out to them that you have the 2nd person stay free benefit.

Cheers!
Yep, what I was planning. Luckily, I guess, I still take a hard copy of my reservations with me. Ultimately it really doesn’t matter. My brother has his own room across the street. I just added him, because it was free, so that there’d be an extra key already made that I could give him to make it easier to stop by.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I would advise against this. They are not very accommodating in person and will make you prove it. This was by far the most frustrating hotel experience for us when we were in Japan a couple years ago. I would email the manager ahead of time with the link to the honors policy and have them correct it ahead of time. You don’t want to waste a half hour checking in arguing with them (which is what happened to us).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Or just have one person check in to hotel while 2nd person waits outside. Then when you're in room, send text message to person waiting and tell them to come on up.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Or just have one person check in to hotel while 2nd person waits outside. Then when you're in room, send text message to person waiting and tell them to come on up.
Given the person asking is Diamond, I'm guessing at least a part of the reason for having 2 names was for things like lounge access/breakfast/etc.
serfty and rustykettel like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:23 pm

Yep, what I was planning. Luckily, I guess, I still take a hard copy of my reservations with me. Ultimately it really doesn’t matter. My brother has his own room across the street. I just added him, because it was free, so that there’d be an extra key already made that I could give him to make it easier to stop by.
Update: ended up emailing the generic address off the hotel site and (apparently) out of date manager one that I had from a previous stay.

Reply was a sort of usual Japanese response that doesn’t address the 2nd guest stays free benefit but the rate was back to 1 person in the app. Not even sure if it was an actual rate increase on their end or the app just displaying an incorrect rate.

At checkin, no issues getting a second key, FDC marked 2 down on the breakfast stamp, and rate was as I booked it initially. No mention of a rate adjustment for a second guest.

Still not sure exactly on the difference between Hilton, Deluxe, and Premium room classifications even after staying here several times and even less sure about how those different room types appear when selecting a room in the app.

App preselected me with one on 8. I’ve stayed on that floor and the views aren’t great, so I picked one as high as I could find. Well, didn’t quite work out. Got a mid level floor, room xx14 and it was one with shower in the tub (“unrenovated”?). Not a big deal as my wife isn’t with me this time, and FDC had already set up a Jr Suite for the remaining nights of my stay.

Juniroh breakfast was offered as an option for Executive Lounge guests. Not sure if this means Golds can no longer book it as I did when I was Gold on a previous stay.

(FT is choking on attaching a copy of the Juniroh letter, will upload it later)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National

King Exec City View

View from the room

Live music at Zatta

Temporary Exec Lounge at Zatta on 2nd floor

Just started my first night of my stay here. Today was the first day of the exec lounge closure. The exec lounge functions for the evening are at the Zatta bar/lounge on the 2nd floor. While the space might be a bit bigger, I think it still has the same crowding issues as the exec lounge. We had to wait for an open table and choose to wait at one of the standing tables near the entrance. Eventually we had a table open after 10min. I think they're still working out a few operational issues. After a couple of minutes of being seated, one of the attendants informed us that the table was being saved for another party. I informed the person I was seated by the host up front and it was sorted out. It seemed like a constant stream of people arriving and staff was struggling to keep up.

Regarding the breakfast options, they listed the Marble Lounge on 1st floor and Tsunohazu on the 2nd. I didn't see Junisoh listed as an option. When asked I about it, they replied it had something to do with the exec lounge renovation. It didn't really make sense to me though. Will report back after I try breakfast.
dagangwood likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
Originally Posted by Gradfly
Just started my first night of my stay here. Today was the first day of the exec lounge closure. The exec lounge functions for the evening are at the Zatta bar/lounge on the 2nd floor. While the space might be a bit bigger, I think it still has the same crowding issues as the exec lounge. We had to wait for an open table and choose to wait at one of the standing tables near the entrance. Eventually we had a table open after 10min. I think they're still working out a few operational issues. After a couple of minutes of being seated, one of the attendants informed us that the table was being saved for another party. I informed the person I was seated by the host up front and it was sorted out. It seemed like a constant stream of people arriving and staff was struggling to keep up.<br /><br />Regarding the breakfast options, they listed the Marble Lounge on 1st floor and Tsunohazu on the 2nd. I didn't see Junisoh listed as an option. When asked I about it, they replied it had something to do with the exec lounge renovation. It didn't really make sense to me though. Will report back after I try breakfast.</em>
Once you check out, could you please tell me your room number? It would be helpful when I use app to check in. Thanks!

Last edited by dagangwood; Jan 8, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:03 am
Suspended

Can’t decide whether to book this property or the Conrad for a 5 night award stay.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:11 am

Can’t decide whether to book this property or the Conrad for a 5 night award stay.
Personally, I prefer this over the Conrad. It’s a more convenient location if you have a rail pass, though I guess that could be debatable. The Conrad is supposed to be nicer and it’s near (and overlooks, depending on what room you get assigned) the Hama Rikyu garden. But I still generally prefer this hotel for its overall location.
NoY and kapooncha like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gvaughn

Personally, I prefer this over the Conrad. It’s a more convenient location if you have a rail pass, though I guess that could be debatable. The Conrad is supposed to be nicer and it’s near (and overlooks, depending on what room you get assigned) the Hama Rikyu garden. But I still generally prefer this hotel for its overall location.
This question is raised frequently. There are a few key considerations, with two bubbling to the top.

How important is location? Tokyo is obviously a huge city and getting around can take some time, even with their great public transportation system. If you are going to spend most of your time in western Tokyo, then the Hilton Shinjuku is a great base. If venturing to the central parts, then the Conrad has an advantage.

The second question is about the level of luxury one is hoping for. The Conrad is clearly ahead in this department. Much larger rooms, on average, and the staffing level per guest is much higher, so service is more prompt and personalized.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:51 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by gvaughn

I agree. After 2 Conrad stays & 3 Hilton stays in the last few years - I will always choose the Hilton because I have been very well looked after as a Diamond & for the hotel's overall attributes. YMMV, of course.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
This question is raised frequently. There are a few key considerations, with two bubbling to the top.

How important is location? Tokyo is obviously a huge city and getting around can take some time, even with their great public transportation system. If you are going to spend most of your time in western Tokyo, then the Hilton Shinjuku is a great base. If venturing to the central parts, then the Conrad has an advantage.

The second question is about the level of luxury one is hoping for. The Conrad is clearly ahead in this department. Much larger rooms, on average, and the staffing level per guest is much higher, so service is more prompt and personalized.
It's a tough question. I was looking forward to the luxury of the Conrad, the hotel is pretty stunning. But I prefer the Shinjuku location, I like the quiet walks at night back to my hotel. For 5 nights, the points savings are pretty significant as well.

Tough call. How's the breakfast at the Hilton Tokyo? Is it comparable to the beautiful spread at the Conrad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.