Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa [No longer Hilton after 3/23] {THA}

Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa [No longer Hilton after 3/23] {THA}

Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by tide
I like the Hilton. It's spread out so it doesn't feel crowded, even with large tour groups. The local news reports that fewer China tour groups are coming to Phuket now because of the recent incident with a tour boat sinking so now's the time.

I recommend you rent a car at the airport and drive. You need transport given the Hilton's location and the size of Phuket island/peninsular. Taxis are expensive. Grab doesn't really work. Scooters are dangerous.
Thanks for the encouraging remarks about Hilton. You're making me feel better about the Hilton option. As for the car, I just can't do it. After I turned 30, I started becoming loathe to try new places, and this is only the second time in the past 10 years that I'm going to a new country. I'm a bit nervous as it is about going to Thai, even though this is supposed to be an R&R trip (only booked it because I wanted to go somewhere cheaper than our usual HKG and because wife wanted to check it out). No way I'm adding the stress of driving.

@escape4
Thanks for the additional feedback. If I decide to go with Hyatt (which is looking less likely), I will definitely pass on Regency Club access. Thanks also for the additional clarification regarding the "beach" in front of HR.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The hotel rates you quote I find very expensive for even November. I would look for better value elsewhere. Admittedly, in general hotel rates in Phuket are far higher than in other parts of Thailand but USD 950 for 4 nights - that is ridiculously expensive IMO. Did you consider Khao Lak? (about 80 km/1 1/2 hours drive north of the airport - it is not Phuket). You should be able to find nice beach properties there.

I wouldn't base my choice of hotel on the possibility of late check-out. Most properties in Thailand are very stingy about late check-out so I would count on a 4-5 PM check-out if that is what you are expecting. A 1-2 PM check-out is often what you get.
Well, Hyatt would've been a lot cheaper if I had status with Hyatt that's the equivalent of Hilton Diamond. If I did, I'd be looking at maybe the lowest-category room (with expectation of upgrade) and everyone in the party getting free breakfast. Instead, at Hyatt, I'm having to book the breakfast-inclusive package in room category one tier up from the lowest, plus I have to pay additional for kids' breakfast since the bnb package only pays for 2 adult breakfast. So it totally adds up.

Thanks for suggesting Khao Lak. I'll look into it for sure. Unfortunately no Hilton/Hyatt/IHG up there, but I will look into it some more.

Not expecting 4pm checkout, but I really hope to get at least a 2pm checkout. If not, that would suck. In Asia (except Jpn where they tend to be stingy), 2pm checkout has never been a problem as a Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum or IHG Gold. Mind you, I've only been to HKG and SIN!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Holiday Inn at Mai Khao. Near airport. I moved there
for 2 nights after the Hilton. Really enjoyed it and nice Beach assuming the weather calms down. Also it is area where turtles come to lay eggs, and it is nature protected area. Prices were very cheap as well even for pool access rooms etc
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks for suggesting Khao Lak. I'll look into it for sure. Unfortunately no Hilton/Hyatt/IHG up there, but I will look into it some more.
For most Asian countries you need to look beyond the chain hotels. First of all you pay a significant premium for such properties and secondly there are many more (no-brand or other brands) hotels out there. Asia has several luxury hotel chains that most Americans have never heard about. If you have no status with HYATT or IHG then no reason to stay at these hotels. Just my two cents..
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:03 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Just completed a quick overnighter, as I needed Honors stay credit, and it was a convenient (& nostalgic) location for us to call in on after many years! Not much has changed since we first stayed in about 2004! The grounds & (most) of the public spaces are apparently in good repair, but there are many signs of wear & tear evident if one gives more than a passing glance. All staff interactions were very pleasant & I was warmly welcomed as a Diamond/returning guest.

I booked a standard King & was pre-upgraded to a King Sea View Junior Suite in the Lotus Wing. These rooms whilst convenient for the Exec Lounge are very tired (same decor as 14 years ago) & if I was here for more than a night or two - I would choose a renovated/much more upscale option. Having said that, everything was in good working order. A welcome amenity of fruit, chocolates & macarons was waiting for us, which was thoughtful.

The Exec lounge put on a really good spread in the evening; satay/samosas/beef skewers/arancini balls/sandwiches/salads/cheese/bread & cakes/deserts. Easily enough for dinner if one chose. Drinks were proactively offered, including spirits/beers/cocktails - staff were excellent. Breakfast (7am-11am) was also well catered, with cooked to order eggs, plus the usual buffet staples. Biggest issue is that Happy Hour starts at 5pm & finishes at 6.30pm - which is silly early, quite frankly.

If the price is right (& the pitfalls are not considered an issue) this place can make for a decent choice for families - if looking for a decidedly upscale option - then look elsewhere.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by NoY
I booked a standard King & was pre-upgraded to a King Sea View Junior Suite in the Lotus Wing. These rooms whilst convenient for the Exec Lounge are very tired (same decor as 14 years ago) & if I was here for more than a night or two - I would choose a renovated/much more upscale option.
Thank you for your review!
Question: Is there a particular part of the resort that's renovated? If so, do you know where and how would I "choose"? Via OLCI room selection or email request to the hotel?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:26 am

Right now, there's a "flash sale" going on where it's THB 3080 + tax per night for the standard room.
I've been keeping track of room rate off and on, and this is the cheapest I've seen. Our trip is coming up in 2 months.
Do you think this is about as good as the rates get, or should I continue to hold off?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:07 pm

Do you think this is about as good as the rates get, or should I continue to hold off?
Not likely, that it will get cheaper, but you can never be sure.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:49 pm

Right now, there's a "flash sale" going on where it's THB 3080 + tax per night for the standard room.
I've been keeping track of room rate off and on, and this is the cheapest I've seen. Our trip is coming up in 2 months.

I dont recall seeing anything under 3000 before
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:45 pm
NoY

Thank you for your review!
Question: Is there a particular part of the resort that's renovated? If so, do you know where and how would I "choose"? Via OLCI room selection or email request to the hotel?
I do not know exactly which rooms are renovated but the resort will, no doubt, be able to advise you of this. I believe I saw something about this somewhere in this very thread & seem to recall that it was the "standard" rooms. Best of luck!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:40 pm

I went ahead and grabbed the nonrefundable rates. It's been a while since I've done such thing, but I couldn't pass it up.

Originally Posted by NoY
I do not know exactly which rooms are renovated but the resort will, no doubt, be able to advise you of this. I believe I saw something about this somewhere in this very thread & seem to recall that it was the "standard" rooms. Best of luck!
Thank you, I will find out when I check in. I booked Deluxe Plus Seaview room, and that room type is supposed to be in Andaman wing based on their website. So I guess that's where I'll be barring an upgrade.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:22 am
NoY

I went ahead and grabbed the nonrefundable rates. It's been a while since I've done such thing, but I couldn't pass it up.

Thank you, I will find out when I check in. I booked Deluxe Plus Seaview room, and that room type is supposed to be in Andaman wing based on their website. So I guess that's where I'll be barring an upgrade.
Looking forward to a trip report
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:01 am

Most likely you will get a Junior Suite, Lotus Wing, which is same as Exec Lounge.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Andaman wing is renovated, for what that's worth. I reviewed the Deluxe Suite with photos earlier in this thread.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:18 am
NoY

Originally Posted by gav0106
Most likely you will get a Junior Suite, Lotus Wing, which is same as Exec Lounge.
....which will be very dated, so the OP may indeed want to discuss this with the hotel either before or on arrival @:-)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NoY
....which will be very dated, so the OP may indeed want to discuss this with the hotel either before or on arrival @:-)
By now, the Ikea quality furniture in the updated rooms is going to be less than pristine as well.

To me, the biggest downside of the Lotus wing is the noise from the circular atrium.
gav0106 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.