Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2003, 8:56 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks hhonorman. This is very helpful!
Old Mar 23, 2003, 4:20 am

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Just got back after staying a week at the Rome airport Hilton on a GLON, and the above information is quite accurate.

We were upgraded to the executive (5th) floor as well, it appears that all golds were upgraded, since we met a few other HH golds during the stay. For my family of three, no problem and no charge for an extra rollaway.

Good breakfast, and also good lunch time snacks after 11:30am to about 3:00pm.

The info on the shuttle is correct, they do not check whether you are a guest or not. For someone needing to get to the airport from the downtown area, you could save yourself about 45-55 Euros by taking the shuttle to the hotel, and walking by the clearly marked covered wallway for 5-10 minutes to get to the airport terminal.

We left the hotel after 6 days, and checked two pieces of luggage at the hotel, before moving to the Rome Hilton Cavalieri. There were no charges for the luggage when we returned to pick it up, and they even drove us to the terminal in their smaller shuttle and saved us lugging the bags.

The regular shuttle runs on the following schedule:

From Hilton to Rome at via del Teatro Marcello 42 (the only stop it makes, about 10 minutes walk to the Colosseo):
10:00 am
12:30 pm
15:30 pm
17:30 pm
19:30 pm
21:30 pm

Back to the hotel:
11:30 am
13:30 pm
16:30 pm
18:30 pm
20:30 pm
22:15 pm

There is a cafe right at the Rome shuttle stop, with about 6-8 tables on the sidewalk. You can have a light snack of sandwich and coffee while waiting for the shuttle for about 5 euros.

Every shuttle ride took at least 30 minutes, but less than 40 minutes, with the exception of traffic jam during the Rome antiwar protest. It appears that the route the shuttle take is not really subjected to heavy heavy traffic, and therefore the length of the trip varies very little at different times of the day.

The shuttle is a large tour buses, probably seats 45-52 people. We were told that they have the lower luggage compartment, although we never got around to using it. I don't see any problem with landing at FCO, walking to the hotel, and taking the shuttle to Rome if you so desire.

The shuttle keeps a very very prompt schedule, literally leaving on the minute as scheduled. It might be a good idea to sync your watch to the shuttle clock right above the driver.

The 60'x 36'indoor swimming pool appears to be free for all hotel guests, with a locker room and shower facility and towels, open until 11pm. The fitness center operates on the same hours, with about 10 various machines.

Beware of the foosball table, you have to ask for the ball at the gift shop, and they charge you room 3 euros without telling you of the cost. We used the ball for 10 minutes while waiting for the shuttle, and would have brought our own ball the next time instead.

The hotel cafe is decent, and actually have better food than several other places we ate except the Pergola at the Cavalieri. The dinner buffet is 35 euros per person, and is frankly overpriced in my opinion for the relative small selection it offers. The executive concierge desk recommended us a restaurant in the seaside town of Fumicino, and it was a disappointment, 140 euros for the three of us without wine, and the food was marginal. I will look up the name of the restaurant and edited this post. They also recommended Spitzi de Mare, althought we did not try it.

The shuttle to Fumicino runs on the following schedule:
From Hilton:
21:00 pm
22:45 pm

Return from Fumicino to Hilton:
21:15 pm
23:00 pm

This is the same bus they use for downtown Rome, and you should not have any problem with seat capacity.

Other misc information:
It appears that the best exchange rate was at the money changers near the Vatican, no commission, and offering 91-92 euros to the dollar. At FCO and at the Hilton hotel, we only netted about 84 euros, so a big difference since we exchanged $1000 before finding out about the Vatican changers. However, on my previous trips to Rome about 10 yaers ago, the individual shops and street vendors seem to offer the best exchange rate for Lire, about 3-5% better than the money changer stores.

Stamps are difficult to find, all of the tobacco shops at the airport are out of them, as well as all the ones I asked at Rome. Also, the airport office at the far end of terminal C downstairs closes at 2:00pm. Get your 77 cent Euro stamps first chance you have, so that you don't waste time looking for them at all the tobacco shops.

For those that are intersted in the taxi rates, please feel free to email me. It cost us 53 euros getting from the airport Hilton to the Rome Hilton Cavalieri leaving at about 1pm, arriving about 40 minutes later with light traffic. Getting to the airport from the Cavalieri at 5am in the morning cost about 42 euros with no traffic whatsoever.

There is not much shopping at the airport, with only a few fast food type places, and they all seem to close by around 9pm. There is a train station from terminal A to the Termini in Rome, and cost 8.80 euro. I didn't not take the train, but was told that it runs every half hour, at seven and 37 past the hour. The first train I think is at 6:37am going into Rome, and could be useful for early sightseeing day trips (such as Florence) that leaves at around 7:30am at downtown.

When I get a chance I will probably post a Cavalieri report in the Trip Report forum, and move most of this information there as well.

------------------
International airlines seat desirability map
Old Mar 23, 2003, 8:25 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Very good report. I stayed at both the FCO Hilton and Cavalieri Hilton last month.

The FCO Hilton's breakfast selection for Executive level residents, I thought was quite good. The rest of the Executive level amenities were mediocre (as were the rooms).

The Cavalieri Executive level amenities are a different story. Outstanding service from the staff, quality food, and stiff drinks. Rooms are pretty darn nice too.

While it won't really save you any money, the concierge downstairs at the Cavalieri will arrange an airport car for you, that is about the same price as a taxi (charge was €45). However for that price you get a beautiful Mercedes sedan. I believe the car service is hotel managed.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:13 am

A word of caution to people interested in the hotel's free shuttle downtown. It is a good idea to check with the hotel to make sure where the shuttle is going to stop in Rome. Most days it is at Teatro Marcello, but one day we were they, Sunday I think, they did not go to Teatro Marcello, they stopped at Pryamide near a metro stop, which was even more convenient than Teatro Marcello for us, but could have been a problem if we had been in Rome first and were waiting for the bus at the wrong pick-up location. A quick call to the hotel should be able to clarify where the bus stops on any given day. The service is magnificent, just be aware that sometimes the pick-up/drop off location is subject to change. If you are already in Rome and are relying on taking the shuttle back to the hotel for the first time, you may want to call to verify the pick-up location. We never saw anybody asked for ID. I remember even commenting to my wife "hey, this would be a great way to get back to the airport even if we weren't a guest." Not that I would ever do that, mind you, it was just a thought that occured to me.

Edited to add: One other word of caution, the bus only holds approximately 52 people and they said that it is first-come, first-serve and that when the bus is full, it leaves. So.... If you plan on catching the last bus of the day back to the hotel, you may want to arrive a little earlier than the pick-up time to guarantee yourself a spot on the bus and not get stranded in Rome. The bus was never full each time we used it, but this was in March. I suppose in the warmer months it may be more popular and could present an issue. Not trying to alarm anyone, just wanted to make you aware that if the bus is full, that's it, they make the last run and whoever's left is on their own.

[This message has been edited by hhonorman (edited 03-23-2003).]
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:23 am

Funny...

We stayed here on the 18th too.

We were on the 5th floor, agree with the comments....I did't get the cookies!.

Old Apr 1, 2003, 9:48 pm

Absolutely new to HHonors: I have 17,000 points in my account and am wondering if it's enough for one Friday night stay at the Hilton Fiumicino?? Let's stretch it further and say, one Friday night (May 2) and another Monday night (May 5)?
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:21 pm

Maple,
The Hilton Rome Airport FCO is currently (until May 31) classified as a Classic property. As such it will cost 30k points for one free weekend night, 18k for one weekend night using point stretcher rewards, but there are no more point stretcher dates left for the period of Jan 2003 thru June 30, 2003. If you e-mail me, I can give you some pointers on how to get some more points quickly to get enough for your stay. You may want to call the hotel now and book the reward stay (you don't have to have all the points at the time of booking, just at the time of redemption) so that the free nights are not all gone by the time you decide to go.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 12:13 pm

Wow, been hard hit with the reality of how pretty much worthless my HHonors points are... but better now than later!
Old Apr 2, 2003, 12:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, HGVC, AA, UA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by maple:
Wow, been hard hit with the reality of how pretty much worthless my HHonors points are... but better now than later! </font>
If you'll check the HHonors web site under hotel rewards, you'll find you have enough points for several different rewards especially if you use them before June 1. Look for point stretcher rewards to do just what the name implies.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 2:25 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Just an FYI - I tried to get 2 award stays here (one for the first night of my trip when I arrive late at FCO and the other for the last night of my trip - leaving on early flight). My trip is for the end of May and HHonors said there is no award availability. Hope you have better luck! (I have booked a paid stay at €203 - which I consider ok giving it's high season, etc).

Edited to add that I was just re-checking the website to see if rates went down and came across this:

DAY USE - NO OVERNIGHT STAY (DU) DAY ROOMS AVAILABLE FROM 9AM TO 6PM ONLY (details)

210.00 EUR KING EXECUTIVE FLOOR
180.00 EUR KING ROOM

Thought this was interesting to post.

[This message has been edited by sk3 (edited 04-02-2003).]
Old Apr 8, 2003, 6:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jet2K:
Just got back after staying a week at the Rome airport Hilton on a GLON, and the above information is quite accurate.
From Hilton to Rome at via del Teatro Marcello 42 (the only stop it makes, about 10 minutes walk to the Colosseo):
10:00 am
12:30 pm
15:30 pm
17:30 pm
19:30 pm
21:30 pm

Back to the hotel:
11:30 am
13:30 pm
16:30 pm
18:30 pm
20:30 pm
22:15 pm
The shuttle to Fumicino runs on the following schedule:
From Hilton:
21:00 pm
22:45 pm

Return from Fumicino to Hilton:
21:15 pm
23:00 pm

This is the same bus they use for downtown Rome, and you should not have any problem with seat capacity.
</font>
I am staying at the Cavaleri Hilton.
Are you saying that i can take the bus from there to the Airport hilton.
If so how long should I expect it to take?
Old Apr 8, 2003, 7:24 pm
Original Member

We stayed here about 3 years ago on a 6 night award.

The hotel charged us about 20.00 per night in taxes/service charges. I've always thought this was strange, as I've never been required to pay this on any other Hilton award stay.

What is everyone else experiences, regarding a free stay at this hotel or other properties? Did they charge you anything extra?

Marvella
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:33 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
I am staying at the Cavaleri Hilton.
Are you saying that i can take the bus from there to the Airport hilton.
If so how long should I expect it to take?
</font>
The Cavalieri has its own shuttle, and stops at a different location, perhaps a few euros of taxi ride between the two locations.

If you get yourself to the Rome Hilton's shuttle bus stop at via del Teatro Marcello 42, you can definitely take the bus to the airport Hilton.

The Cavalieri shuttle takes about 15-20 minutes to get from the hotel to its stop at Piazza Barberini, while the Airport Hilton shuttle takes about 35-40 minutes to get from the hotel to its stop in Rome.

------------------
International airlines seat desirability map
Old Apr 9, 2003, 2:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marvella:
We stayed here about 3 years ago on a 6 night award.

The hotel charged us about 20.00 per night in taxes/service charges. I've always thought this was strange, as I've never been required to pay this on any other Hilton award stay.

What is everyone else experiences, regarding a free stay at this hotel or other properties? Did they charge you anything extra?

Marvella
</font>
Sounds like you got ripped off. I stayed free in other hotels in Europe and within Rome, and I never was charged anything extra.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 10:21 pm

Apologies for the delay to those whom requested the menu from La Pergola, a JPEG is now available here.

Edited to add that you got to have the very special olive oil that they un-bottle for each table, about 250 euros for 10 3.4 oz bottles. Same oil that is served at the French Laundry, among other top-notch restaurants.

Edited again to add Rome Hilton Cavalieri Shuttle Schedule.

[This message has been edited by Jet2K (edited 05-01-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.