Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Millennium Hilton Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
At least based on the pictures attached, the rooms post renovation will be a material upgrade. Staff in the EL told me that the Business Development department has not finalized what pricing will be. I would assume that there will be a non-negligeable rate increase which will take the Millenium Hilton above the Conrad price-wise more often than not, and that the difference might be warranted. I guess we'll have to wait and see the finished product before passing judgment but I think the Millenium Hilton will possibly become the #2 Hilton option in BKK behind the new Waldorf Astoria.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by escape4
I would assume that there will be a non-negligeable rate increase which will take the Millenium Hilton above the Conrad price-wise more often than not, and that the difference might be warranted. I guess we'll have to wait and see the finished product before passing judgment but I think the Millenium Hilton will possibly become the #2 Hilton option in BKK behind the new Waldorf Astoria.
Well, there is the small matter of room size... If they can price themselves above package group range, then it will have been a very successful renovation.

From your pdfs it looks like the suites are just getting new wall coverings (that wooden carving looks familiar...) and furniture, with more changes to the cramped normal rooms' layout.

The hotel is lucky that its elevator banks face the new development next door, as it would otherwise have lost more of its rooms with an unimpeded view, which I believe are its main selling point apart from the riverside location. The upscale shopping mall and associated restaurants/inevitable food courts might even diversify its customer base.
I have always thought that its (excellent) steakhouse and Chinese restaurants were too upscale for the hotel's current price level and guests (few will spend the price of room on a meal), with much of their clientele affluent locals. They are also too small to be mass-market outlets, and I hope they remain what they are (great places to use Hilton Premium Club perks...)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Etihad Gold
... comparing Millenium Hilton to SO Sofitel Bangkok is an unrelated matter. I would mention that SO Sofitel is not in the same price range as Millenium Hilton so it should not come as a surprise when moving from Millenium Hilton to SO Sofitel that the overall experience in general is better.
Yes, out of respect for the fact that this is a Hilton thread I have removed that comment.

However I must also differ on your opinion of 'unrelated... [different] price range'. Having previously stayed at both properties on multiple occasions my experience was that the advance price differential between Exec at Millenium and basic room (IMO equivalent) at SO is marginal. Sure, when the SO is in high season pricing, I forget it. These are the booking judgements we all make according to our wishes, requirements and resources. As a member of both loyalty programs I was not overly biased towards one or the other property; I loved them both. So for me this was an entirely relevant comparison when one of them let me down so poorly.

I will mention I've also subsequently enjoyed very satisfactory Hilton stays in the Sukhumvit 24 property, and the very pleasantly good value Doubletree next door.

There is so much choice in Bangkok. Hope the Millenium refurb works out well for everyone.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by paulkevin
However I must also differ on your opinion of 'unrelated... [different] price range'. Having previously stayed at both properties on multiple occasions my experience was that the advance price differential between Exec at Millenium and basic room (IMO equivalent) at SO is marginal. Sure, when the SO is in high season pricing, I forget it. These are the booking judgements we all make according to our wishes, requirements and resources. As a member of both loyalty programs I was not overly biased towards one or the other property; I loved them both. So for me this was an entirely relevant comparison when one of them let me down so poorly.

I will mention I've also subsequently enjoyed very satisfactory Hilton stays in the Sukhumvit 24 property, and the very pleasantly good value Doubletree next door.

There is so much choice in Bangkok. Hope the Millenium refurb works out well for everyone.
We are on the same page that there is a lot of choice in Bangkok - harsh competition in the city! I have stayed at more than a dozen different properties in Bangkok the last 3 years or so - I found that for the most part they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

My personal views for the three that you quoted:
- Hilton Sukhumvit basic room is better than Millenium Hilton (pre-reno). However the panoramic suite at Millenium Hilton beats Hilton Sukhumvit. I almost never stay in the basic room at MH... maybe post-reno I can consider it.
- If you have status at both Hilton and Accor, then why not compare the price of the basic room at both hotels? Rather than Hilton exec vs SO basic room. I personally compare the price of the basic room at both, and a few months in advance the flexible rates are generally in the range of 3500 THB at Millenium Hilton. Closer to arrival date, sure Millenium Hilton can be expensive 5k-6k THB if the hotel is quite full for example when there is a wedding. But you can also find pre-paid rates about 2700 THB for some weeks if you are lucky. I do not recall seeing that price level at SO.
- DT is nice but for a property without a lounge, I might prefer the new Hyatt Place. Millenium Hilton is a step above them both, although the price follows too so you get what you pay for.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
But you can also find pre-paid rates about 2700 THB for some weeks if you are lucky. I do not recall seeing that price level at SO.
I've seen the very occasional non-prepaid stay at around that at the Millennium. Made for a very nice points redemption value (I actually spent LESS points per night than I would have at the DT, which is 20k most of the time). And I concur that you'd have a hard time finding the Bangkok Sofitels at that price point. I've seen Accor properties like Pullman King Power there though (which are pretty nice but a little under the Sofitels and the MGallery VIE, though that last one might be due for a refurb and getting long in the tooth).

I very much agree that Bangkok has a lot of competitive choice for hotel options- it's a city where I feel elite status and locking into chain loyalty doesn't count for much because things like suite upgrades including nice breakfast buffets are often available at reasonable cash prices, so why pay "we're your chain" tax to stick with Hyatt/Marriott/Hilton/Accor if you don't have to?
Old May 4, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I find myself in need of a BKK property (on points) for 5 nights in August (21/8-26/8). It's pretty much the Conrad vs the Millennium. Conrad is 40k/nt and MH is 31k

I find myself leaning towards the MH after reading about the trends in lounge offerings and main restaurant breakfast quality (breakfast is possibly my #1 favorite bennie). I was last at the hotel in an exec room in May 2015 and was quite happy. Also, the points difference is enough for another night or two elsewhere in Asia.

How is the MH with upgrading Diamonds on standard room reward point stays?
Old May 4, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Amelorn
I find myself in need of a BKK property (on points) for 5 nights in August (21/8-26/8). It's pretty much the Conrad vs the Millennium. Conrad is 40k/nt and MH is 31k

I find myself leaning towards the MH after reading about the trends in lounge offerings and main restaurant breakfast quality (breakfast is possibly my #1 favorite bennie). I was last at the hotel in an exec room in May 2015 and was quite happy. Also, the points difference is enough for another night or two elsewhere in Asia.

How is the MH with upgrading Diamonds on standard room reward point stays?
FWIK, Diamond experiences vary considerably. My late wife and I circumvented a reluctant suite upgrade by offering to pay the difference, which, IMHO, proved a win/win for all concerned. Other Diamonds have been awarded suite upgrades gratis, so it really is a YMMV situation. I must say, however, that we were not big fans of the hotel. We found the rooms quite dated, and the Thonburi location quite a hindrance. The faux beach pool did not garner much appreciation, other than rendering the pool's water murky. The EL, during our visit, was overrun by boisterous tour groups, but the lobby restaurant, FLOW, was terrific for both breakfast (free for Diamonds) and dinner (extra cost). While I prefer the Conrad, it is not the best representation of the brand, but a major refurbishment has finally been inked, so my opinion may change.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyme2
FWIK, Diamond experiences vary considerably. My late wife and I circumvented a reluctant suite upgrade by offering to pay the difference, which, IMHO, proved a win/win for all concerned. Other Diamonds have been awarded suite upgrades gratis, so it really is a YMMV situation. I must say, however, that we were not big fans of the hotel. We found the rooms quite dated, and the Thonburi location quite a hindrance. The faux beach pool did not garner much appreciation, other than rendering the pool's water murky. The EL, during our visit, was overrun by boisterous tour groups, but the lobby restaurant, FLOW, was terrific for both breakfast (free for Diamonds) and dinner (extra cost). While I prefer the Conrad, it is not the best representation of the brand, but a major refurbishment has finally been inked, so my opinion may change.
Merci for the info.

I actually really liked the location (this seems to be a theme, love it or hate it).
Old May 5, 2018, 4:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Stayed there 2 weeks ago. A lot of rooms are being refurbished. We've stayed on the 24th floor and the construction was going on on the 25th floor. Woke me up from the afternoon nap after crashing from overnight flight from US. Other than that, HM is very nice. The lounge was quite empty during our 4 days there.

The strange thing happened on our second night in the lounge. Main EL attendant came to me and asked if she can have picture with me as a repeating customer or something in those lines. (I've been staying there twice a year for past 3 years). Next day I saw her again asking the same thing to another guest in the lounge. It supposed to be for some internal newsletter. Few other staff members came to the picture too, not just her

The biggest advantage for location of this hotel is that you can hit toll roads in a taxi fast, while leaving from Sukhumvit hotels can be a pain.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Stayed there 2 weeks ago. A lot of rooms are being refurbished. We've stayed on the 24th floor and the construction was going on on the 25th floor. Woke me up from the afternoon nap after crashing from overnight flight from US. Other than that, HM is very nice. The lounge was quite empty during our 4 days there.

The strange thing happened on our second night in the lounge. Main EL attendant came to me and asked if she can have picture with me as a repeating customer or something in those lines. (I've been staying there twice a year for past 3 years). Next day I saw her again asking the same thing to another guest in the lounge. It supposed to be for some internal newsletter. Few other staff members came to the picture too, not just her

The biggest advantage for location of this hotel is that you can hit toll roads in a taxi fast, while leaving from Sukhumvit hotels can be a pain.
I hadn't considered that. The last time I was there, I came in on an EK flight from Sydney that arrived circa 1:30 AM. The EK J car got there without traffic, which I chalked up to the time. This time, I am arriving at 3:30 into DMK from Bali. Good to know on the traffic situation (also, not a fan of the Sukhumvit area generally, a bit sterile for me).
Old May 5, 2018, 12:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

At the end of our trip (also coming back from Bali) we've decided to stay at Sukhumvit 22. Arrived at 8pm at BKK and got to our room after 11pm. The traffic was bad in the city.
The next day we wanted to go to Bang Kapi which is about 20km away and no easy access via BTS. Took taxi and it took forever to get there.
I've learn my lesson. If you want to stay at Sukhumvit, BTS is the only way to go. Even though, Millennium is further west from the downtown, access to that hotel is much easier via taxi, boat or BTS+hotel's private boat.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:54 pm

That is quite dependant on the day and time you will be traveling. On our last Uber drive from the Millennium, leaving the hotel on a weekday morning at 07:14, we arrived at BKK at 08:17, and that didn't include the 25 minute wait for the Uber to actually arrive at the hotel. Crossing the Chao Phraya took an inordinately long time in very heavy traffic. That's approximately the same amount of time it takes to get to BKK from the Conrad by using the BTS and Airport Rail Link.
Were you to take a taxi/Uber in the early morning or late evening hours, I would expect the drive from the Millennium to be only about 30-40 minutes.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Last edited by flyme2; May 5, 2018 at 7:59 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 5, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by flyme2
That is quite dependant on the day and time you will be traveling. On our last Uber drive from the Millennium, leaving the hotel on a weekday morning at 07:14, we arrived at BKK at 08:17, and that didn't include the 25 minute wait for the Uber to actually arrive at the hotel. Crossing the Chao Phraya took an inordinately long time in very heavy traffic. That's approximately the same amount of time it takes to get to BKK from the Conrad by using the BTS and Airport Rail Link.
Were you to take a taxi/Uber in the early morning or late evening hours, I would expect the driver from the Millennium to be only about 30-40 minutes.
That has been my experience too. Crossing the Chao Phraya River (Taksin Bridge) can take forever, before you reach the toll-road entrance. At rush hour I have learnt to take the BTS and ARL from the Conrad.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott

The photo thing has been going on for some time (same experience with my last stay in Jan 2018). At that time they kept a couple of floors empty between guests and construction. Curious how it will turn out. Apparently the same Interior Designer who did the Hilton Pattaya, and I have mixed feelings about that.. I love the Millenium location! But then again I always enjoy the Conrad. I suppose I just like BKK.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:22 am

Millenium Hilton Bangkok Renovations – Shrinking Room

Millennium Hilton Bangkok

Map| 3 Reviews | 33% Recommended

123 Charoennakorn Road Klongsan Bangkok, TH 10600

Millenium Hilton Bangkok Renovations – Shrinking Room (23 Photos)

I have stayed 20-25 times at Millenium Hilton Bangkok in the last 4 years for a total of close to 100 nights, almost every time in the panoramic suites facing the river (xx01 and xx02).  I was looking forward to this stay because I asked in advance if the renovations on the high floors were going to be completed in the second half of June and they said some rooms would indeed be ready.  I asked if they could assign me a renovated suite rather than the old suites and they agreed to do it at no extra charge, which was a nice gesture.  The renovations were well overdue although personally I was not exceedingly bothered by the worn-out furniture.  I could often get the basic room for less than 3k THB and pay 1100 THB extra (reduced rate for Diamonds) for the panoramic suite.  Being guaranteed to get the panoramic suite for less than 4k THB was good value as far as I am concerned, and I was willing to compromise on a far from modern room.  That said, I like to mix things up so I have stayed at 10+ other hotels in Bangkok rather than staying exclusively at MH, but I was always pleased enough by MH to return regularly.  

I am sure different people will have different opinions about the renovations.  I recognize that I am possibly at the more pessimistic end of the range of opinions, so take it into consideration when reading my comments.  

Room

As soon as I entered the room the first thing that came to my mind is am I crazy or the room is smaller than before? How could the room feel smaller despite having less bulky furniture than before, and having completely removed some other furniture altogether?  They have made changes that cut down on space in many areas of the room.  All those inches here and there… it adds up and it feels less expansive than before.  Someone who stays in that room for the first time will probably not think the suite is small and I won’t disagree.  However from my point of view I am comparing to what it was before and I am rating how well they did with renovations and changes.  In my opinion they could have used the space more efficiently.

First off, the best selling point of the panoramic suite used to be the great curved windows with the view of the river.  They have built a new (short) wall in front of the windows at both ends so now the window frontage is smaller (20% less?) and there is wasted space behind a wall on both sides.  Granted, part of the windows at both ends were blocked by curtains in the past anyway, but I believe that covering a good portion of the windows with a wall contributes to the feeling that the room is smaller and less impressive than before.  On the left side of the windows, at the entrance of the bedroom there used to be a corner big enough to have a plant there in front of the window.  Now the new wall is nearly flat with the bedroom door, removing not only space but also covering a chunk of the window, which is unfortunate.  I just don’t see the upside of adding that wall and I wonder if there was some other reason for it (electrical work?) because it seems to be an empty wall right now. 

20180622_232100.jpg20180623_011821.jpg

On the other side of the windows it is even worse.  The blue wall panel you see on the picture is straight in front of the window (and part of the beige panel as well), but in addition they put the mini-bar and fridge besides the blue wall panel, further creating wasted space, all in front of the window.  

20180622_090606.jpg20180622_232525.jpg20180622_232611.jpg20180622_232915.jpg

The TV remains on a short wall which is moving forward into the living room but they took away the DVD player which itself was taking no space at all.  

20180622_090514.jpg

In a few other parts of the room, they have made walls thicker by installing a decorative panel on the wall, sometimes perhaps overusing the concept with a few layers on top of each other (for example at the head of the bed) further taking up space. There is now a sliding door between the bedroom and the closet which is leading to the bathroom, instead of the door being between the closet and the bathroom.  Oddly the door is not flush with the wall as you can see.  

20180622_093919.jpg20180622_233037.jpg

The closet corridor seems narrower than before because the cabinets are bulkier than before, and they also took out other space by building a new wall in the corner near the cabinets when they moved where the power plug is.  

20180622_094003.jpg20180622_233149.jpg

Far less renovation work was done in the bathrooms except for repainting to cover some dark spots that used to be on the ceiling of the shower.  Since they were closing entire floors for several months, I am sure they considered the option of fully renovating the bathrooms too.  The bathrooms did not absolutely need it, but because they left bathrooms mostly untouched, I cannot compare MH to more modern hotels where everything is new.  

20180622_090232.jpg20180622_090242.jpg20180622_090713.jpg

I made a few other minor observations about the room that I won’t get into detail here because I will just sound like I am nitpicking, and my intent is not to be overly negative here.

A new client to MH will most likely feel that this room is quite airy and modern with nice new furniture.  Convenient international power plugs and USB ports were added near the working desk.  There are now also power plugs by the side of the bed which used to be lacking before, but they still only did just one side of the bed properly.  The other side only has one power plug under the night table and it’s used for the radio clock.  The floor was redone and instead of the old red carpet, now there is hardwood floor in the living room with a large round carpet in the middle so it’s a great improvement.  The new carpet in the bedroom is nice as well.  I also liked the new mood lighting in the mini-bar and in the bedroom.  

20180622_090317.jpg20180622_090409.jpg20180622_090653.jpg20180622_093810.jpg20180622_093831.jpg20180622_232747.jpg

Not related to the room itself, but I would also note that the corridor outside the rooms is stylish and more inviting than before. 

20180622_092715.jpg20180622_092741.jpg

Dining

In the executive lounge they cut out the sweet U.K. sparking wine; not that I cared for it much, but just an observation. The list of cocktails during happy hour has also shrunk.  Overall a slight downgrade so I am afraid no good news on that front.  However for breakfast in the restaurant I had for the first time a small treat for Diamond members which was appreciated.  

20180624_225832.jpg

We ordered room service once and had the buffet lunch another day, both were excellent as usual.  

Service

Service in the hotel continues to be excellent and especially as a returning customer I am always taken care of well.  The executive lounge is as enjoyable as before too in terms of décor and friendliness of staff.  I asked a late check-out 4pm but I was forced to leave at 2pm which was not optimal but since they have very few of the renovated suites available and they were sold out that evening, I could understand and I did not push it, but could not help thinking that it would not happen at Starwood, Marriott, and Hyatt hotels where 4pm check-out is guaranteed for guests with elite status. At least they were accommodating enough to let me stay in the executive lounge after 2pm.  

Overall

My review is mostly not about whether the room is nice or not for someone who visits the hotel for the first time, which I believe it is and which is the reason I selected “recommended” in my review.  However the important question is, given the changes am I more or less likely to return in the future?  Now the room is more fresh and modern, which is a plus, at the cost of a bit less space and an inferior feeling of grandeur in the living room due to the situation with windows.  It’s not like the room was small to begin with so it’s not a bad room and the view remains impressive.  However the problem is that you get some pluses and some minuses, and the price will go up.  I can see now that they are selling the renovated suites for 800 THB more than the unrenovated suites, so does it mean that in the future Diamonds will have to pay closer to 4.5k-5.0k THB after the Diamond ‘special discount’ upgrade from the basic room to the panoramic suite, rather than a sub 4k THB rate?  If so, then the answer is that the renovations along with the extra price tag will result in me going less often to this hotel in the future, so the renovations are a relative thumb down for me because I don’t see that room being worth 800 THB more now. I am not saying I will never return, but my point is that if the rate is close to 4.5k-5k THB for a suite, then at that price level it starts getting into a different league of hotels and in Bangkok there are plenty of Starwood and Marriott hotels who are tough competition and who are quite generous with suite upgrades for free, unlike MH where perhaps the cost of the suite upgrade might have gone up materially for a renovated room I am not entirely satisfied with.  Bottom line, there is not much room for error in the Bangkok hotel market and if you spend a lot of money on renovations, the changes need to be quite universally positive in order to make customers willing to pay significantly more to stay.  If the result of the renovations is mixed, then you won’t get a good return on your investment.  I am afraid that is the case here, at least based on my humble opinion.    

Millenium Hilton Bangkok Renovations – Shrinking Room

Would you like to write a review on the Millennium Hilton Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.