Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Millennium Hilton Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Cymro
I'm a big fan of Uber elsewhere in the world, and have used it in BKK, but given the potential for a crack/shakedown from the Thai police versus the tiny savings over a metered cab (possibly 100 THB, or about $3) I wouldn't use them from the airport.

At least in the airport, cabs are tightly regulated and well managed.
Uber works well in Bangkok (sufficient cars available in my experience) but the price is nearly the same as metered taxis. A few times, Uber drivers have made comments suggesting tips are needed for them to make any money (rate is too low, gas price is high, etc.) -- essentially the same as when taxi drivers try to negotiate a flat rate price instead of using the meter. Getting off topic here...
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
Would I stay here again - yes if the hotel was on the other side of the river. Spending close to an hour just to travel back and forth on the boat is just not for me.
I'm going to be spending a few days in Bangkok next month and I'm looking for a well located Hilton. From what you said, would most of the places where tourists head to be on the other side of the river?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrLee
I'm going to be spending a few days in Bangkok next month and I'm looking for a well located Hilton. From what you said, would most of the places where tourists head to be on the other side of the river?
I know this is not for everyone, but the last time I was in Bangkok, we spent a couple of days at the Millennium for easy access along the river to the Temples, Chinatown etc.

We then switched to the Conrad to be in the more "modern" part of town. This time around we're going to try out the Hilton Sukhumvit, although if the Conrad wasn't sold out, I'd probably go back there.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Cymro
I'm a big fan of Uber elsewhere in the world, and have used it in BKK, but given the potential for a crack/shakedown from the Thai police versus the tiny savings over a metered cab (possibly 100 THB, or about $3) I wouldn't use them from the airport.

At least in the airport, cabs are tightly regulated and well managed.

Elsewhere in the city it may be a different story, because of the potential for gouging, but the Grab taxi app gives you a fully licensed cab that takes credit cards and should be as effective as Uber.
That's true, taxi from BKK to the Millenium is about 500 Baht, not much different than uber.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:23 am

The big advantage of UberX (other Ubers are much more expensive) is, that the cars are always in good condition. And of course they always have safety bells, which works fine. You don't find working safety bells in all taxis. Often they can't be used because of a seat protection, which also covers part of the bells.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:06 pm

How do you pay for tolls when riding Uber from the airport?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by JCary
How do you pay for tolls when riding Uber from the airport?
Tolls are included.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I used to arrange for a private transfer from airport to hotel so when I arrived in the middle of the night a driver was waiting with my name on a board (easy to locate amidst the crowds in the arrivals terminal.)

But Uber is cheaper, efficient and I can just exit the terminal now and find my Uber at the door I entered on the app.

If my flight is early (which it often is) I am good to go!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Had a quick transit through bkk. You can either take the train and transfer to city rail and then walk down to the river and take the hotel boat across. Or pay 375 baht to the hotel, 425 baht for the return. It includes toll of around 70 baht. Worth it to just do uber and avoid the transfer and walking if you have baggage. I believe the uber price is a flat rate from anywhere in the city cuz it seems to be the same price regardless of what hotel I go to. The rooms aren't large, but was given a executive upgrade without asking. Did not ask for anything else and was not given an upsell pitch. Room was nice and spacious enough for me for a quick one day stay, albeit on the small size. Breakfast could be taken in the lounge or hotel restaurant for free. Has a decent spread, plenty good for a breakfast and of course much better than you'd get at almost any US Hilton, but nothing special for Bangkok. Full hot buffet and no nonsense about upcharge from continental. The prince was around with his entourage smoking a cigar as usual. He must live here as I've seen him every time I've been through.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Had a quick transit through bkk. You can either take the train and transfer to city rail and then walk down to the river and take the hotel boat across. Or pay 375 baht to the hotel, 425 baht for the return. It includes toll of around 70 baht. Worth it to just do uber and avoid the transfer and walking if you have baggage. I believe the uber price is a flat rate from anywhere in the city cuz it seems to be the same price regardless of what hotel I go to. The rooms aren't large, but was given a executive upgrade without asking. Did not ask for anything else and was not given an upsell pitch. Room was nice and spacious enough for me for a quick one day stay, albeit on the small size. Breakfast could be taken in the lounge or hotel restaurant for free. Has a decent spread, plenty good for a breakfast and of course much better than you'd get at almost any US Hilton, but nothing special for Bangkok. Full hot buffet and no nonsense about upcharge from continental. The prince was around with his entourage smoking a cigar as usual. He must live here as I've seen him every time I've been through.
What is your HH status?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
What cigar smoking prince are you talking about?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:52 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Suite award redemption have disappeared from the website ...
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Suite award redemption have disappeared from the website ...
I can still see plenty of suites available from around 35k a night on many dates...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I'm HH Gold and have a standard points redemption (5for4) next year. I am not expecting to be upgraded to a room with lounge access. I'm considering doing the Diamond status match but would need a few mattress run nights to hit the 8 stays required in 3 months.

How much better would I be treated at this hotel as Diamond than as Gold? How good is the lounge?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I'm HH Gold and have a standard points redemption (5for4) next year. I am not expecting to be upgraded to a room with lounge access. I'm considering doing the Diamond status match but would need a few mattress run nights to hit the 8 stays required in 3 months.

How much better would I be treated at this hotel as Diamond than as Gold? How good is the lounge?
I can't comment on the DIA vs. GLD treatment, but obviously if there are any constraining factors at the time of your stay, DIA would get the benefit whereas the GLD would not.

This is probably the most disappointing EL, other than for the view, I have experienced throughout Asia. During Happy Hour the food selection is limited, the wines are cheap, and beers are served out of a chilled bucket.

Compared to the Conrad Bangkok, it doesn't even come close, but even compared to the Hilton Sukhumvit, the lounge offerings seem meager in comparison.
ankomonkey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.