Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Massachusetts, USA {US-MA}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Massachusetts, USA {US-MA}

Old Jun 15, 2002, 5:07 pm

It's a no-brainer: stay at the Back Bay Hilton property.

The Hilton is in one of the nicest and liveliest parts of the city, with lots of restaurants and shopping and plenty of people in the area both day and night. If the weather is rainy, as it has been for about the last 40 days, you need only cross the street and you have access to an enormous covered shopping/entertainment complex.

The Doubletree on the other hand is in a relatively crummy location. It's about 2 blocks from the Theatre District and a few restaurants, but those two blocks are nearly deserted after 8pm (except when the Theatre shows end). Shopping is nearly non-existent, especially compared to the Hilton.

The only advantage to the Doubletree is that it's next to a hospital. If you expect to need the latter's services, choose the TreeTree; otherwise, pay whatever extra it costs to stay at the Hilton.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I don't think either property is much to write home about. Check out how much the Doubletree Suites on Soldiers' Field Road costs. It's about a $6-$7 cab ride to either Harvard Square or the Back Bay. The rooms are going to be much nicer, as they are in the two-room, all-suite fashion.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 5:39 pm

I believe if you search a little, you'll also find the Hilton has been more consistent about Gold status benefits, while concurring on Wideman's location comments and unfortunately, the weather .
Old Jun 15, 2002, 5:49 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Wow - the Hilton Back Bay must have really changed since I stayed there a couple of years ago - it was really ratty then...
Old Jun 15, 2002, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It still is, at least from the outside. But the Doubletree is even worse. For some reason, I think it might be the old HoJo Plaza, but that might be the Radisson downtown instead.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 7:23 pm

Yeah, the Radisson is old HoJo. The Hilton at Logan has gotten nice reviews also
Old Jun 16, 2002, 7:35 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Wow, too bad you're locked into Hilton products there, Starwood's are much nicer. The Sheraton is across the street, the Westin is just down the street....as I remember all of them, the Hilton is the least desirable. If that Doubletree is anywhere near the Theatre District, stay away.
Old Jun 16, 2002, 8:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, UA PLT
If this is the Doubletree right by MassPike, STAY AWAY. I went there to try out the property and will NOT go back again.

The Doubletree Suites on Soldiers Field is nice, although it is a cab ride from anything interesting. Yes, you can walk over the Charles to Central Square, I guess.
Old Jun 16, 2002, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, US, SPG, MR, HH
In general, I agree with people who are steering you to the Hilton. Here's the scoop on the Doubletree downtown: It's built from the shell of an old high school, complete with tall windows, but very few views (many views of a courtyard/airshaft). It's in Chinatown (interior designed following feng shui principles), at the edge of the theater district. The neighborhood seems creepier than it really is -- it's a bustling area, but not at all upscale. Very convenient (200 feet away) to an Orange Line T station. Staff is very nice, but clueless about HHonors. They have a better bar than the Hilton. Biggest plus: it's built on top of a really nice YMCA, and that's the hotel fitness center.

I've stayed at all the Hilton Co. hotels in Boston, and believe it or not found myself becoming a regular at the Doubletree downtown, because of 1. rates, 2. Convenience to the T, 3. variety of restaurants nearby, 4. Lobby Bar, 5. YMCA.

On the other hand, if you don't know the neighborhood, I could understand why you'd choose the Boston Hilton.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Boston Properties

I will be in Cambridge and have reservations at the Hilton Back Bay and MIT Hotel. Any recommendations regarding which one to stick with? Stayed at the Doubletree Suites last time and didn't like the location. Hotel itself was fine. I'm a HH Gold. Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:15 am

Hilton Back Bay is in an excellent location, just a block or two away from the Copley-Prudential area (lots of restaurants, shops, night spots).

The BB Hilton is less than a mile from MIT in Cambridge. By taxi, the BB Hilton is probably 5 minutes from MIT, 10-12 minutes from Harvard Sq or Kendall Sq.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 11:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I usually stay at the Back Bay when we are in Boston, they have always treated me well there.

Old Nov 13, 2002, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I stayed at the Hilton Back Bay last week and was happy with the way I was treated. Got breakfast coupons at checkin without having to ask (I'm Diamond, but Gold should get them too) and was given a corner room on a high floor with a view of the Charles River. No exec lounge, but the staff was consistently helpful and pleasant. And as mentioned above, the location is great -- near restaurants, shopping, and close to two T (public transit) stations for those who want to get around by train.
Old May 31, 2003, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
MIT/Harvard Properties

I will be in Cambridge, MA in August and would like to stay near MIT or Harvard. Which if the properties should I go for? Back Bay Hilton is already sold out. I have HH Gold. Thanks!
Old May 31, 2003, 2:07 pm

There are three properties affiliated with Doubletree:

CC - Hotel @ MIT

Harvard Square Hotel

The Inn at Harvard

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.