FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Can this be right? 83,000 Points for free! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/439059-can-right-83-000-points-free.html)

ATLKarl Jun 1, 05 7:59 pm

Can this be right? 83,000 Points for free!
 
I stayed in the Cavalieri on one of those Global 6 nights for 175,000 points deals. Well, I know that you're supposed to get points for nights that are reward points but this is ridiculous!! I'm not complaining at all but this just has to be a mistake!

**EDIT For my point's safety...

Basically after double points, VIP points etc. ended up getting > 83,000 points for a stay at the Cavalieri for free!

OB one Jun 1, 05 8:08 pm

that's a lot of bottled water!!!!!

Xyzzy Jun 1, 05 8:30 pm

I got a LOT of points after a "free" Cavilieri stay -- but we had had dinner for six in their restaurant and charged the meal to the room. After all the promos we ended up with 33 points/$ ;-)

Congratulations!

flyupfrnt Jun 1, 05 8:33 pm


Originally Posted by OB one
Well you are not supposed to get points on the room rate paid for the reward by the hotel, but on the incidentals only. Unless you were drinking a lot of bottled water, you are right it is a mistake. (and if I were you, I would make this post a mistake too and edit as much info out of it as you can.)

Being that your post count indicates a "newer" member i have some advice.

"Enjoy your stay"

Welcome aboard

planeluvr Jun 1, 05 8:39 pm

As you found out some free stays turn out better than others. ;)

Welcome to FT!

OB one Jun 1, 05 8:49 pm


Originally Posted by xyzzy
I got a LOT of points after a "free" Cavilieri stay -- but we had had dinner for six in their restaurant and charged the meal to the room. After all the promos we ended up with 33 points/$ ;-)

That's about $450 per person for dinner. And I thought London and New York City prices were high. :)

ATLKarl Jun 1, 05 8:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. I take this as payment for the pain that they caused the day before my flight to another Hilton hotel 2 weeks before. The local hotel cancelled the reservation without my knowledge and when I went to print out the itinery it just said "cancelled". Hilton claimed that *I* had cancelled it the day prior (ie 2 days before I left) which I balked at but the best the could do was get me in another hotel :td:

again, thanks for the advice on protecting my new friends :)

Karl.. or Jeff if you're a HLT empl.

demue Jun 2, 05 5:13 am


Originally Posted by ATLKarl
I stayed in the Cavalieri on one of those Global 6 nights for 175,000 points deals. Well, I know that you're supposed to get points for nights that are reward points but this is ridiculous!! I'm not complaining at all but this just has to be a mistake!

**EDIT For my point's safety...

Basically after double points, VIP points etc. ended up getting > 83,000 points for a stay at the Cavalieri for free!

Hi there, just something about the issue of your points safety. As I have a colleague who has dealt with Hiltons reservation system and their databases for HHonors on a previous work assignment, I can tell you that HHonors Customer Service Supervisors/Managers with the appropriate rights (I don't think normal CSR's can do that though I might be wrong) can use even the limited info you provided here to track you down or at least come up with a pretty small list of possible people/accounts and do an audit of the point credits in question. Maybe they were legitimate through room charges, maybe posted by mistake - I don't know but they could find out if they wanted too as they also frequent this forum.

It was a 6-Day/175,000 points stay at the Cavallieri and you got 83,xxx odd points posted on your account for that stay. You are an HHonors Diamond. As you posted your experience just recently the stay will not have been that long ago (It doesn't matter for the database query anyway, but will likely produce more hits if a longer timeframe is checked). For all I know you could even reside in ATL and your first name could be Karl (just a maybe here) given your FT alias.

What do I want to say - if things like this happen and you choose not to call them up and point it out to them (personal choice here - no judgment whatsoever from my side is intended) then it might be wise not to mention it all even though we will miss out on a good story here on FT.

Another option is to check back with them and see what they say. After all they might even consider letting you have all the points or at least some portion of it. I had that once with 10,000 points from a promo that got posted twice and they let me have them. With 83K it could be a bit different though.

Pls let me know if you would like me to remove my quick analysis of your stay in question as I don't want to aid HHonors in any way.

Cheers ...

ATLKarl Jun 2, 05 6:27 am

Thanks for the scoop. They weren't room charges so it's a mistake on their part for sure. As a database programmer I also understand how easy it would be for them to track me down. However, if they do audit the hotel and take away my points and probably anyone else who received extras (surely not just me!) then as a shareholder I'll feel a little better ;) Hey you just gotta find the good side in things should they happen!

As for me I'm going to go book a reward now :cool:

demue Jun 2, 05 8:31 am


Originally Posted by ATLKarl
Thanks for the scoop. They weren't room charges so it's a mistake on their part for sure. As a database programmer I also understand how easy it would be for them to track me down. However, if they do audit the hotel and take away my points and probably anyone else who received extras (surely not just me!) then as a shareholder I'll feel a little better ;) Hey you just gotta find the good side in things should they happen!

As for me I'm going to go book a reward now :cool:

Now thats the spirit. Spent the points as they can't take away what is already gone. Just see it as an additional dividend payout. Risk of an account audit is low though not unheard off. Just make sure you don't force them to investigate your account at some point in the future by launching a big valid complaint as that could backfire. ;) No, not speaking of exeprience here but I know someone who got burned that way.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:34 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.