Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:33 pm
was jgoggan

Programs: WN 650k+CP; BA 200k; AA 200k; HHonors 450k; IHG 300k Plat; Bonvoy 250k; Rad 225k
So, just as a data point. My last real activity was April 7, 2017, so I was worried about my points expiring. A week ago, I did some quick shopping through the Mall, but was afraid that they wouldn't post in time (they are pending, but it has only been a week). So, I called and explained the situation to see what I needed to do to keep them from expiring. She told me that I didn't have to worry about it because I just had activity on my account on March 21, 2018 that would extent it for another year. So, on March 21, I had transferred 1000 points (for free) to my wife's account. I said that I didn't think that a points transfer would could as activity to extend my expiration and she said that they absolutely did, so I didn't need to worry about it.

Just to be extra safe, I called back and simply asked when my current points would expire (without any of the other details), they said that it would indeed expire on April 7, 2018 -- and that the points transfer to my wife did not count as activity.

I then explained the situation to them -- that I had called earlier and was told the opposite. She said that she would double-check and put me on hold for quite a while. When she returned, she said that OUTGOING points do not reset your expiration, so my points would still expire on April 7th, 2018. So, I then asked the obvious question: "So, you're saying that if my wife sends me 1000 points, then that would be incoming and WOULD extend my expiration date?" She said that it would.

I'm going to transfer some from my wife to me -- and then call back tomorrow and see if I get the same answer or yet a third different answer playing CSR Roulette! I'll post here and follow up after...
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Maybe not the best thread for this question but will greatly appreciate assistance:

beancounters at my company have eliminated AMEX PLAT and i have 300,000 points. I get 600k if i transfer to HH. About how many nights upper end Hilton brand is that?

thanks in advance
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
does a transfer from amex membership rewards extend account status by a year?
Anyone know the answer to this? I couldn't find a reply.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Anyone know the answer to this? I couldn't find a reply.
It should. From the T&C:
Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by beltway
It should. From the T&C:
But that's referring to earning HH points (i.e. a co branded card) and not transferring points (AMEX Rewards to HH)..
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It should. From the T&C:
Yes, it seems it should. And from "how to keep Hilton active" articles elsewhere, it should. But I'd like to have an actual experience/confirmation, if possible.

If not, I'll lose the $4'ish in value and try transferring the minimum as the date gets closer.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Then you should use a Hilton Amex card to charge a meal or clothes or something else and you'll earn HH points for the statement period in which you made the charge. This extends your expiration period for HH points only and I assumed you have sufficient time to do so before your points expire.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
It used to be that just having a co-brand card was enough to prevent expiration. That seems no longer the case, and you have to actually earn points through the card. Am I wrong?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:14 pm

Using the card puts points in your HH account. That is what keeps it active. Plus being an amex card, you definitely want to use it now and then to keep amex happy.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
what happened to the Shopping portal and all the partners

Clicking links now, the shopping options seem completely limited. What happened to earning points at Walmart or Target?

Am I missing something?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
Clicking links now, the shopping options seem completely limited. What happened to earning points at Walmart or Target?

Am I missing something?
how do i easily and quickly keep miles from expiring
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole
how do i easily and quickly keep miles from expiring
Have you read the wiki at the top of the page?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:00 pm

Have you read the wiki at the top of the page?
this?
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn HHonors Points through any third party source of HHonors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase HHonors Points; or,
  4. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by jgoggan
So, just as a data point. My last real activity was April 7, 2017, so I was worried about my points expiring. A week ago, I did some quick shopping through the Mall, but was afraid that they wouldn't post in time (they are pending, but it has only been a week). So, I called and explained the situation to see what I needed to do to keep them from expiring. She told me that I didn't have to worry about it because I just had activity on my account on March 21, 2018 that would extent it for another year. So, on March 21, I had transferred 1000 points (for free) to my wife's account. I said that I didn't think that a points transfer would could as activity to extend my expiration and she said that they absolutely did, so I didn't need to worry about it.

Just to be extra safe, I called back and simply asked when my current points would expire (without any of the other details), they said that it would indeed expire on April 7, 2018 -- and that the points transfer to my wife did not count as activity.

I then explained the situation to them -- that I had called earlier and was told the opposite. She said that she would double-check and put me on hold for quite a while. When she returned, she said that OUTGOING points do not reset your expiration, so my points would still expire on April 7th, 2018. So, I then asked the obvious question: "So, you're saying that if my wife sends me 1000 points, then that would be incoming and WOULD extend my expiration date?" She said that it would.

I'm going to transfer some from my wife to me -- and then call back tomorrow and see if I get the same answer or yet a third different answer playing CSR Roulette! I'll post here and follow up after...
Did you ever get a definitive answer to this? I transferred points to my husband a couple of months ago, which show as a points.com transfer. His last activity other than that was 3 February 2018. He initiated a transfer from Amex MR (UK) earlier in the week just in case but no sign of them so far. Am I worrying for nothing?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:34 pm

Question which I am not clear about after reading the FAQ. My last Hilton stay was probably 2+ years ago. Somehow my points have not expired. I went online yesterday and booked a hotel stay for November 2019, now my account shows 44,000 points deducted from my account for the upcoming November reservation (I am used to hotel points being deducted after the stay not on making the reservation). Am I safe to assume that now that the reservation has been booked on points, the points are safe? I don't have an easy way to generate points activity between now and November

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.