Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I concur with jan_az, HH points (or accounts) do expire after a year of no activity.

Doctor: Do you concur?
Resident: Concur? Concur with what?
Doctor: With what he just said.
Resident: Damn it, why didn't I concur?

You can however either do a cheap mattress run (MR) or purchase 1000 HH points for $12.50 through the Hilton website. Both of those would keep you active and your points then would not expire.

Last edited by infinityplusone; Jul 11, 2004 at 11:08 am
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No, and yes, HHonors account doesn't expire, but miles do, and rumour has it, so do members.

A good preventive practice is to self-diagnose your status by performing a quarterly check on your account's pulse - go to HHonors website, and look at the Activities on your account. This is much more pleasant than to ignore an e-mailed warning, find yourself the victim of an unexpected pointectomy, find your life support has been withdrawn and that you can no longer exist freely in an HHonors property.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 3:12 pm

I guess what is mystifying to me is that I have been a HHonors member for 12 years and have never gotten one of these notices before. I find it hard to believe that I haven't had a year stretch without a stay before in that time period, especially since most of my company people stay at Marriotts and that's where most of my points are "wrapped up".

I only have 16,000 points which isn't enough to do much so I won't cry a river if I can't get them renewed in the next month. But I certainly won't have much insentive to chose Hilton properties.

Although if the Hotels are going the way of the airlines, customer loyalty is not likely to be a concern to them anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 6:35 pm

Starbuck, before you can say goodbye to Hilton they will say good riddance to you. Why should they maintain your account forever if you do not have any loyalty to them. You had no loyalty to Hilton BEFORE the email, why should they feel bad if you have "less" loyalty now.

marc
Old Jul 20, 2004, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by starbuckk
I guess what is mystifying to me is that I have been a HHonors member for 12 years and have never gotten one of these notices before.
Why would that bother you? The rule has been on the books for a long time, and your account either slipped through somehow, or (more likely) you had some HH points accumulated in your account (they do not have to come from actual hotel stays).

my membership would be cancelled the end of August if I didn't take action (i.e. stay at a Hilton).
As I said above, "taking action" does not necessarily mean that you have to stay at a Hilton. Any means of accumulating points would be fine (E-Rewards, MyPoints, car rental, etc).

Although if the Hotels are going the way of the airlines, customer loyalty is not likely to be a concern to them anyway.
This conclusion sounds a tad overdramatic considering the underlying facts you posted above, don't you think?
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
What if one is an elite member (Gold or Diamond) and hasn't had any stays in some time... will HH still "expire" your account?

aloha
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:07 pm

I don't think the rule with HH is if you are an elite you fall back to the next lowest level the following year, as some airlines do, nor do they have / advertize "perpetual" miles, a la AS. I DO think they have deicded to tighten up on the incentive awards for people who are not frequent guests, and will "fire" us if we have no activity at all for a year, merely enforcing the T&Cs, and being diligent enough to notify us in time to rescue the situation.

My guess is this eliminates a number of us who signed up for elite status through an airline or other "deal" merely to enjoy some perks for a stay or two we have in mind, then never show after but want the status "in reserve." It probably also eliminates an accrual of liabilities in the "books," because the expired points can no longer be spent on free stays, which will gladden the hearts of the accountants and shareholders.

But it's easy to keep those points - merely have some qualifying activity in your account annually semi-annually to be extra-careful. A stay, a partner's points, etc. Silver you only have to have FOUR stays or TEN nights annually, Gold 16/36 and Diamond 28/80. How onerous is that, given this is an incentive and rewards program for frequent guests?

Time flies whether you're having fun or not - so it's your responsibility to assure you have some fun.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:37 pm

The easiest way to keep at least the Silver level of elite membership is to get and keep the Hilton Hhonors AMEX, which is free. This way, you can be sure of always being able to use the GLON2 awards and you get a few additional benefits, such as free access to hotel owned health clubs that otherwise charge a fee (such as the Hilton Las Vegas) and you get a small bonus on paid stays. Sometimes, you also get an upgrade, although this is not a stated benefit of the Silver level. And by making at least one purchase a year with the Hilton Hhonors AMEX card, you earn Hhonors points, thus keeping your points from ever expiring.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:09 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by amanuensis
The easiest way to keep at least the Silver level of elite membership is to get and keep the Hilton Hhonors AMEX, which is free. This way, you can be sure of always being able to use the GLON2 awards and you get a few additional benefits, such as free access to hotel owned health clubs that otherwise charge a fee (such as the Hilton Las Vegas) and you get a small bonus on paid stays. Sometimes, you also get an upgrade, although this is not a stated benefit of the Silver level. And by making at least one purchase a year with the Hilton Hhonors AMEX card, you earn Hhonors points, thus keeping your points from ever expiring.
The Silver level with the HH Amex is only for the 1st year of cardmembership. After the 1st year you are on your own. It is a great way to get HH points and keep membership active.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Not only are there many threads discussing the expiration of Hilton HHonors points, but there is The Definitive “How To Earn Hilton HHonors Points” Thread which, I admit, I have been negligent in updating. However, it seemed as though interest in that thread had waned quickly anyway, and I apologize if the fault is mine...

Anyway, that thread, while still presently incomplete, has many ideas on how to earn Hilton HHonors points to keep one’s Hilton HHonors account from expiring.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
The Silver level with the HH Amex is only for the 1st year of cardmembership. After the 1st year you are on your own. It is a great way to get HH points and keep membership active.
That's how it used to be, but now you get to stay Silver for as long as you have the card.
You'll also be automatically upgraded to HHonors Silver VIP status for the duration of your Cardmembership.
http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/poi...editcard.jhtml
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:43 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by amanuensis
That's how it used to be, but now you get to stay Silver for as long as you have the card.
http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/poi...editcard.jhtml
Thanks for the link amaneunsis. Hmmm, I know this brings us a bit off topic, but the American Express web site lists the benefit as follows: "And you'll automatically receive Silver VIP status for your first year of Cardmembership, which offers special bonuses, rewards, and more." http://www66.americanexpress.com/car...0&fpid=5&pzn=n

So who's T&C's win, Hilton or Amex?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
<snip>So who's T&C's win, Hilton or Amex?
Well, it's Hilton's call in the end, I think, since it's their points and awards. It's similar for AMEX Platinum and SPG Gold status. And IMO AMEX can be a bit slow about posting changes, not to mention their agents seem to be a bit- antedeluvian and unhelfpul at times. Again, those are my opinions.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Would transferring in of ebay Anything Points into your HH account qualify as "activity"? Or does "activity" have to be a stay or Amex points only?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Would transferring in of ebay Anything Points into your HH account qualify as "activity"? Or does "activity" have to be a stay or Amex points only?
Anything goes. Source of points is not an issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.