Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by wormtail
Okay, I need advice from the Hilton experts. Both my wife and I opened the Citi HH card 8/2014 closed 8/2015, last activity 3/2015. 62K points each which will expire 12 months after last activity or 3/2016.

I have no upcoming Hilton stays planned or needed. I was intending to sign us both up for the Amex HH with 2 weekend free nights around 6/2016 anticipating using the nights 6/2017.

So how do I keep our points active. Could I book a category 1 hotel, 5000 points and then not show up to reset the clock on these points? Any other ideas?
Your primary mistake was closing a no-fee card prematurely. Your second mistake was failing to refresh your account by making a purchase & earning points shortly before that account closure.

The Hilton expiry clock is reset only through earning points, so a booking--whether actually used or forfeited--will do you no good. Your choices are
  • Book a cheap one-night stay to earn points.
  • Get a new HH-earning card, preferably one like the basic no-fee Amex that you can hold long-term & use to refresh your account as needed.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Your primary mistake was closing a no-fee card prematurely. Your second mistake was failing to refresh your account by making a purchase & earning points shortly before that account closure.

The Hilton expiry clock is reset only through earning points, so a booking--whether actually used or forfeited--will do you no good. Your choices are
  • Get a new HH-earning card, preferably one like the basic no-fee Amex that you can hold long-term & use to refresh your account as needed.
Could the OP earn points from rental car / dining / shopping especially now they are pushing the HHonors Earning Mall ? Or must the activity coming from a pay stay and credit card spending?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:15 pm

Mose

Originally Posted by beltway

As I said in the original post getting these cards was not well thought out. On the other hand I have scored on many other deals. I assume what you mean above is I would have to book the stay prior to expiration that is 3/2016, earn points whether I actually stay or not. I'm not sure these points are worth 2 more hard pulls for the no fee Amex cards. As above I will be applying for the Amex Hilton cards with 2 free nights soon. I really have no plans to make Hilton a priority.

Yes and I screwed up not making a purchase prior to cancelling. Lesson learned.

I'm leaning towards booking a Category 1 hotel prior to 3/2016 unless someone has a better idea.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:20 pm

Okay, I am really thick. I get it, booking with points is not "earning" points.

So my choices are book with cash before 3/2016 for each account, Is there a $40 Cat 1 hotel somewhere, or signup for the no fee Amex cards and 2 hardpulls.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Could the OP earn points from rental car / dining / shopping especially now they are pushing the HHonors Earning Mall ? Or must the activity coming from a pay stay and credit card spending?
Any earning will do.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:38 pm

So is anyone sure if I book a room, cash, don't show up, do I still earn the points. After all I paid for the room. So far I found a $69 hotel in Panama.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:48 pm

So is anyone sure if I book a room, cash, don't show up, do I still earn the points. After all I paid for the room. So far I found a $69 hotel in Panama.
Won't work:
No points, miles, or credit toward tier status will be awarded for "no show" situations when a Member has made a reservation guaranteed with a credit card but then does not check in to the hotel--irrespective of whether or not the Member's credit card is charged for any portion of the reserved stay per the hotel's "no show" policy.
Further discussion, if any, should probably be moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ve-thread.html, since this isn't really a credit-card issue.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:14 am

If you're going to give something away, why give it to Hilton? Instead, donate a small amount of your HHonors points to charity...

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-u...nts/index.html

That will generate the activity you need. Or just shop for something via their portal?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
just shop for something via their portal
This is always the easiest way to generate activity in any account that has a portal linked to it. With HH, just go to HHonorsshopping.com, sign up for free, click thru the portal to the site for a store you have nearby, for me that would be Home Depot. Then use that store's website to buy something for a $ or 2 to pick up at the store. Right now a single $ spent at Home Depot thru the HH portal will add 3 points to your HH account, which is all you need to keep it "active".

If you haven't already been doing this, you have been missing out on lots of points/miles. We have a Nordstrom one mile from home, and DW shops there a lot. But we always check first for which portal is giving out the most points for Nordstrom that day, and order it online thru that portal, then pick it up in store if it's in stock. If not, they will ship it to us for free. We get thousands of free miles/points every year just from buying things we were going to buy anyway. And you can use any cc you want, so the portal points/miles are in addition to the cc miles/points.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:10 am

Not totally sure about HH, but typically with most hotels, if you no-show, they still charge you for the room, but you don't get any points.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:43 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
So how do I keep our points active.
Since this really has nothing to do with the credit cards, it's best to look for answers in the actual HHonors section of FlyerTalk.

There you will find this exhaustive thread with first-hand experiences:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ve-thread.html
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it does not work. You MUST actually check in for the stay be counted.

The easiest / cheapest / and probably the quickest is to use the dining program.
Next to that is the rental car, followed by portal shopping.

Go to HHonors site to check EARN POINT section and find what option(s) would work the best for you.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:04 pm

I know some posters says that point redemptions does not reset the clock.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html#general

However, I interpret point (a) as any valid stay and a award stay is a valid stay.

That said, under (d), a donation of 4,000 points (equivalent to USD10.00 works too and that is cheaper than a 5,000 point stay if it is just a MR.

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. At the discretion of Hilton HHonors Worldwide, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated HHonors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:
a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors Points through any third party source of HHonors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors Points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.
http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-u...nts/index.html
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
I just made a purchase on the Hilton HHonors Shop-to-Earn Mall and bought a song on Itunes to keep my HH points from expiring.

How long do you expect it to take for my points to post?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
I just made a purchase on the Hilton HHonors Shop-to-Earn Mall and bought a song on Itunes to keep my HH points from expiring.

How long do you expect it to take for my points to post?
Some of the shopping portals can take up to six weeks or more to post. Fortunately the important date is the date of the transaction and not the date posted. So should your points expire before it posts, you should be able to call in (if needed) to get your points back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.