Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Oct 4, 2003, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Hilton has forgotten why they have the HH program -- it is not to reward loyal customers, it is to enduce people to stay there.

Most years, I stayed at a Hilton three or four times. This is not a lot, but it is better (for Hilton) than nothing.

My last stay was in October, 2002. I received a letter last week telling me that if I don't stay in the next 90 days, my account will be closed.

Ho, hum!

I do not have the account to get points -- I have it simply to making on line booking easier. I also do not choose hotels based on points, I chose them according to price, location, etc.

Hilton wants to close my account -- which costs them absolutely nothing to maintain. Fine. I have no problem with that. I am also registered at Sheraton, Marriot, and several other chains. When I want to make on line reservations, I will do it with one of them.

Who has lost on this deal -- Hilton or me?
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:18 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
Who has lost on this deal -- Hilton or me?</font>
I can't answer that question, but at least I know I have gained. One less person taking up inventory that I'm looking for. Have fun at Starwood and Marriot!
Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:47 am

i just spoke to a counselor at Hilton Grand Vacations club and verified this info..

apparently, if youre a HGVC owner of a club and also a Hilton Honors member, accdg to HGVC, my Hilton honors wont expire even though I have no activity for a year, since I am an owner of a HGVC club then. That kept my mind at peace then.
accdg also to the Hilton Grand Vacations counselor who I spoke to, the counselors who are assigned at Hilton honors tell that to everyone(that the points expire), but assuming you are a member of HGVC, there is a clause that says you are safe with your points with Hilton honors as well, with no expiration even if no activity.

Just sharing these with you guys.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
After reading of several people who were kicked out of the program for inactivity, I called the HHonors desk to check on my husband's account (no travel for him this year). I was informed that if he does not do something by the end of **this month**, he will be purged and his 100,000+ points will be lost. Needless to say, he has NOT received any notification or forewarning of this whatsoever from Hilton. This seems to be a disturbing trend on Hilton's part. Sadly, HHonors members can no longer depend on Hilton but must be proactive in keeping track of these things themselves.

The person I talked with suggested that if my husband had an HHonors credit card, he could just charge something this month and that would take care of things. When I asked if any activity that added points to an account would be sufficient to keep the account active, she replied "Yes".

Old Oct 5, 2003, 5:19 pm

Get the no annual fee HHonors Visa and charge $1.00 to it.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Agents can also just extend your status if they want to so you can always just ask nicely.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oatsy:
I received a similar e-mail recently. I know it's not a very good value, but wouldn't purchasing the 1,000 Hhonors points for $12.50 work? </font>
Please - Could somebody give an answer on this.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rut Dog:

....Issue a reward cert and redeposit it.
</font>
Would this work?
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:53 am

Programs: WN CP, Hertz 5*
I purchased the points several weeks ago and they have posted to my account. It is past the time when Hilton threatened to close my account, so it would appear to be an alternative to some of the other methods suggested on this thread.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 1:47 pm

Not wanting to crosspost, please see my post on 10/22 at 1:45pm in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/008845.html

for information about qualifying activities, how the 12 months is calculated, etc.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 6:03 pm

I just bought a DVD thru Critic's Choice, one of HH partners. It's a movie I wanted to see anyway, The Hours. And it was $11.01 with free shipping. There are other choices for under $10. It's an inexpensive way to keep your account 'active'.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 7:54 pm

To keep a Hilton account alive, just sign up for MyPoints through the link on the Hilton page. The 500 bonus points should post in 2-3 days.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:48 pm

Programs: OnePass
Hilton sent me an email to notify me that my HHonors account is going to expire. It might contain useful information for those of you wondering what the official line from Hilton is on how to keep your points from expiring.

--- Begin email ---
As a member of Hilton HHonors®, you are very important to us.
That's why we want to give you an opportunity to reactivate your
HHonors account before it is closed and the HHonors points you've
already earned are forfeited.

We invite you to keep your HHonors account open beyond January 1, 2004,
by taking advantage of one of the following options:

1. Stay just once before January 1, 2004, at any participating Hilton®,
Conrad®, Doubletree®, Embassy Suites Hotels®, Hampton Inn®,
Hampton Inn & Suites®, Hilton Garden Inn®, Hilton Grand Vacations
Club®, Homewood Suites® by Hilton or Scandic hotel in more than
60 countries worldwide and enjoy all the benefits of the Hilton HHonors program.

2. Earn HHonors points through any number of HHonors partners. For more
information about earning points with HHonors partners, click here.

3. Use the Hilton HHonors Platinum Credit Card from American Express®
Earn HHonors bonus points for purchases in addition to the HHonors points
you normally earn for your qualifying stays. To apply, call 1-800-467-8462 or
visit http://www.americanexpress.com/gethilton.

4. Use the Hilton HHonors VISA® Signature Card from Citibank® and earn
HHonors bonus points every time you make a purchase! To apply, call
1-888-601-7083 or visit http://www.hhonorscard.com.

If you do not take one of the actions above by January 1, 2004, your
HHonors account will be closed and all accumulated points will be forfeited.
You may redeem your HHonors points for any HHonors reward for which you
are eligible prior to your account being closed. After the points have been
redeemed, your account will then be closed by the date above and all
remaining points in the account will be forfeited. For a complete listing of
HHonors rewards click here.

If you have stayed at an HHonors hotel in the last nine months, but did
not receive credit for your stay, please submit a missing stay request
online now. Simply log in to your account at https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/keywordsignon.aspx,
click on the "Member Services" tab, select "Missing Stay Request"
and complete the form.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

You must be a member of Hilton HHonors to earn HHonors points.
Hilton HHonors membership, earning of Points & Miles®, and
redemption of points are subject to HHonors Terms and Conditions.
©2003 Hilton HHonors Worldwide.

Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:01 am

Funny that I emailed them asking this same general question and instead of a general answer..........i.e.: maybe referring me to a www link - they requested all my personal information first. I find this a little discerning.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:15 pm

If it got down to panic time, I believe I would order certifictes using all the points I had in the account. Then I'd have a year to use them.
Slpytime

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.