Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:10 am
Suspended

I guess I wasn't that clear to you -- there are HHonors credit cards out there will you will earn HHonors points for each use -- htat is a way to prevent expiration.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I guess I wasn't that clear to you -- there are HHonors credit cards out there will you will earn HHonors points for each use -- htat is a way to prevent expiration.

I got it, but that wasn't a feasible solution - couldn't do and use any credit card in 2 days when my points where going to expire, moreover I don't need it.

Tx for the information anyway!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
So any credit or deduction of points will keep ALL the points from expiring right? If I have some e-miles credit going in then that will extend my points for another 12 months?
Old May 1, 2013, 2:18 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
you won't know when they will credit. phone in and buy 1k and if you can't buy online you may get a bonus
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
they will maybe apologise for not being able to buy online and offer you a few k as compo
I tried to buy points online (using 2 different credit cards) but it didn't work, so I called and talked to an agent who couldn't buy them for me either, so she opened a ticket.

It seems that one must be very motivated to buy points with Hhonors.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, DL, HH, NW, UA, SPG
How long does it take for the points to be deducted by mags for points. I ordered a few days ago and got no email confirm. Do they confirm by email?
Old May 9, 2013, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Originally Posted by slow
How long does it take for the points to be deducted by mags for points. I ordered a few days ago and got no email confirm. Do they confirm by email?
It can take a long time. I did mags for miles for AA miles about 35 days before the miles expired, and the points didn't post in time (by a few days), so my (child's) miles expired. But they were nice enough to reinstate them after I called and explained what happened (as "a one time exception as a gesture of goodwill" or something like that to let me know they didn't really have to).
Old May 27, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold, Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum
Searched but couldn't find an answer. Can anyone confirm if a donation to charity will extend the expiry of points? I found the 'Global Soap Project' as one of their charities which will let you donate just 2,000 points (instead of the usual 10,000 minimum) and think this would be a good option for me, so long as charitable donations count as a qualifying activity.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
I dropped the ball and realized today (when trying to book a hotel stay in Singapore) that my points expired. No activity since 2011. Been with Honors for over 20 yrs and had over 100,000 points in my account.

The rep said they would attempt to "reactivate the points"

Thoughts?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by MDT86
I did not receive any email from HHonors stating that my points were going to expire soon (on the 6th of April 2013, that is in two days)!

Luckily I had set up a reminder on my side.

What should I do to make them last longer?
Is it enough to just buy 1000 HHonors points for 12,50$ on the website?
Will they be accredited immediately?
Will *ALL* my points last for another year in this way (e.g. the points earned in April 2012 will expire anyway on April 2013 or in this way will they expire in April 2014?)?

Thanks a lot!

Buying 1k points for 12.50 $ is fine. But not as cheap as it doen't hurt! I don't know another way to extend the points for a smaller amount of money though.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Buying 1k points for 12.50 $ is fine. But not as cheap as it doen't hurt! I don't know another way to extend the points for a smaller amount of money though.
OK thanks anyway, that's what I did indeed because I couldn't find a cheaper solution!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a little confused...

Here: http://news.hiltonhhonors.com/index.cfm/page/9001 it says:

Hilton HHonors points do not expire as long as members remain active in the program. To keep an account active, members can stay at one of Hilton Worldwide's hotels, or earn or redeem HHonors points within 12 months.

but here: http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html it says:

13.Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. At the discretion of Hilton HHonors Worldwide, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated HHonors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:
a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors Points through any third party source of HHonors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors Points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.

Which one is correct? I am just over the 12 months limit and my points are still there.

If the REDEEM or EARN term applies, can I on the day before expiration book a hotel stay that is 10 months away. Then 10 months later, I cancel that reservation. Wouldn't that end up extending it by 10 + 12 months?

Also, I looked all over, I cannot find a place where it shows me the expiration date...

Thanks.

Last edited by username; Jul 10, 2013 at 9:41 pm
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by username
I am a little confused...

Here: http://news.hiltonhhonors.com/index.cfm/page/9001 it says:

Hilton HHonors points do not expire as long as members remain active in the program. To keep an account active, members can stay at one of Hilton Worldwide's hotels, or earn or redeem HHonors points within 12 months.

but here: http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html it says:

13.Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. At the discretion of Hilton HHonors Worldwide, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated HHonors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:
a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors Points through any third party source of HHonors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors Points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.

Which one is correct? I am just over the 12 months limit and my points are still there.

If the REDEEM or EARN term applies, can I on the day before expiration book a hotel stay that is 10 months away. Then 10 months later, I cancel that reservation. Wouldn't that end up extending it by 10 + 12 months?

Also, I looked all over, I cannot find a place where it shows me the expiration date...

Thanks.
Canceling an award and redepositing points does NOT count as EARNING points and does NOT extend your expiration date.

The expiration date is 12 months from the date of your last points-earning activity.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks...I did a little more research after this...

My last stay was a year ago June and I found the e-mail they sent me in May saying my points will expire on 8/1. So, either I am lucky or there is a grace period.

I called HHonors. They told me that reward stays count AFTER you have COMPLETED the stay. Another word, booking a future award reservation won't help unless you complete the stay before expiration.

A little off topic... I have a decent chunk of AMEX point. I can transfer 1,000 AMEX points over or pay HHonors $12.50. It seems 1,000 AMEX points are worth more than $12.50 if converted to Avios and used for shorthaul awards on BA, right? So, better to pay the $12.50?

Last edited by username; Jul 14, 2013 at 1:37 am
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
http://shoptoearn.hhonors.com/loyrew...=1373704063616

Try the Hilton shopping mall - perhaps something you needed to buy online anyway, the merchant could be a mall partner.

One of the merchants is abebooks.com - I used them to buy a $3 Sudoku book - I think I earned 15 HH points, which took like 3 months to post - but, the points were shown backdated to the order date.

I had also confirmed with HH customer service, that as long as I made the purchase before the expiration date, this would keep the points active.

I did this about 2 years ago - so could be worth a quick call to CS just to make sure policy is still the same.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Make a $0.99 purchase at the iTunes store with your Hilton card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.