Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront {US-VA}

Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront {US-VA}

Old Mar 31, 05, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Arrow Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront {US-VA}

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050331/315693.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Hilton Hotels Corporation

Virginia Beach Goes First-Class with Stunning New 21-Story, 291-Room Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Thursday March 31, 2:25 pm ET

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 31, 2005--Hilton Hotels Corporation (NYSE:HLT - News) has announced the opening of the new Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront hotel, a magnificent 21-story, 291-room property that brings a new level of casual elegance to Virginia Beach. With its spectacular oceanfront location, the new hotel offers first-class accommodations, a full array of resort amenities and breathtaking views of the Atlantic Coast. The hotel is the centerpiece of the dazzling upscale 31 Ocean entertainment and hospitality complex that features an oceanfront park with entertainment venues, an array of fashionable retail shops, a top-notch fresh seafood restaurant and outdoor bar. The hotel is topped off by the rooftop Sky Bar and an "infinity pool" perched 180 feet above the beach with dramatic ocean views.

The Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront is owned by Thirty First Street L.C., managed by Professional Hospitality Resources, and operated under a franchise license agreement with Beverly Hills-based Hilton Hotels Corporation.

"The new Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront will offer a thoroughly modern level of luxury and amenities in a breathtaking beachfront setting," said Jeff Diskin, senior vice president, brand management, Hilton Hotels Corporation. "With a higher level of personal service, luxurious accommodations, and a variety of shopping, dining and entertainment options both in the hotel and nearby, the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront is destined to become the premiere hotel for leisure and business travelers to the area."

Towering 20 stories above the Virginia Beach resort district, the new Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront is the tallest hotel on the oceanfront. Many of the hotel's elegantly appointed rooms boast panoramic ocean views and private balconies. Inside, guest rooms feel connected to the sea through the use of design motifs and a color palette emphasizing blues and greens. Cherry furnishings inspired by the Arts and Crafts Movement lend an air of warmth and comfort.

The rooms come fully equipped with an array of state-of-the-art amenities including LCD flat screen televisions in every room (42-inch plasma TVs in the Empyrean Club level rooms), plush Suite Dreams beds by Hilton in every room, dual five-jet showers in bathrooms, high speed wireless internet (available throughout the hotel), two-line speaker phones with voice mail, ergonomic work stations and more. Three separate club floors are available, including a Business Club floor with separate check-in, continental breakfast, as well as evening cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.

Deluxe Ocean View rooms boast breathtaking scope: north to Virginia's beautiful Eastern Shore, south to North Carolina, and east to miles of Atlantic Ocean waters and ships of all descriptions traveling to and from one of the world's greatest natural harbors. Standard View rooms feature sweeping vistas west toward downtown Norfolk and dramatic sunsets.

And when it is time to get down to business at the beach, there is no better place. The Hilton will boast 12,000 square-feet of meeting space, creating a perfect venue for groups of 12 to 1,000. The spacious and well-appointed meeting rooms offer the ultimate versatility with a 5,000 square foot grand ballroom and a boardroom offering a captivating ocean view.

Of course, it takes more than great facilities to take a meeting over the top. That is where the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront staff comes in. Meeting and event planners can expect impeccable personalized service from a dedicated conference planner whose main job will be exceeding expectations from the first exploratory phone call to the final adjournment and beyond.

Meetings and reservations can be made by calling the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront direct at 877-445-8668 or visiting it online at www.hiltonvb.com.

In addition to the hotel's fitness center, guests can check out a Hilton Travel Fit Kit, an in-room mini gym designed by Bally Total Fitness. Topping the menu of extraordinary guest amenities, the rooftop, zero-edge pool boasts unparalleled views of the oceanfront, while the indoor family feature pool is ideal for both parents and children alike. So is shopping in the fine collection of upscale shops that are connected to the hotel's lobby via a climate-controlled walkway over Atlantic Avenue. Your day at the beach might include a simple stroll, jet skiing, parasailing or just relaxing under an umbrella and enjoying beach service from our excellent seafood restaurant, Catch 31. Later on, you can catch live entertainment in adjacent Neptune's Park at 31 Ocean.

GETTING THERE

The Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront is situated just 20 minutes from Norfolk International Airport and downtown Norfolk, 45 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, and 5 minutes from the Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center. The address is 3001 Atlantic Ave., Virginia Beach, VA 23451. Phone: (757) 213-3000. For more information or to make reservations, contact Hilton Reservations Worldwide at 1-800-445-8667 or visit www.hilton.com.

Source: Hilton Hotels Corporation
Old Mar 31, 05, 4:59 pm

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I split my time between TX and VA and am here near the new Hilton this month. It looks REALLY nice.
Old Apr 3, 05, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Hilton Virginia Beach

Two comments:

(1) A new Hilton at the beach in VB means a nice place to stay among the incredibly tacky t-shirt shops, souvenir stands and bars catering to teenagers. Please watch your step to miss the puke on the sidewalks...

(2) Anyone who can say this hotel is 45 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg has either [a] never driven Hwy 64 through the tunnel or, [b] is a marketing genius...
Old May 12, 05, 10:58 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront

I've booked a room for the weekend there next month. I wonder if anyone here has stayed there yet and if they can offer any insight into Diamond upgrade action. Muchas Gracias.
Old May 12, 05, 11:05 am

Mike, I'm planning an August stay as gold. I'd love to hear what you think.
Old May 12, 05, 12:41 pm

We were at Virginia Beach a couple weeks ago attending a conference at the Hilton. Unfortunately we didn't stay there (prices were too high) but the public areas/conference rooms are beautiful. The bar & restaurant are right on the boardwalk, facing the ocean and seemed busy every nite of the week. There are rooms on all four sides of the building, so one side is oceanfront, two are ocean/other hotels on the beach view and one is facing inland. I'd sure try for one of the oceanfront rooms. There is construction going on at the park next door on the north side -- certainly think it'd be finished for the summer season tho'.

Wish I had had time to check out a room....but one of the conference speakers commented on the rooms with just a 'Wow". I'm pretty sure there's also a rooftop pool and maybe another bar there.

The food served at the conf was better than usual for that sort of thing. And things seemed to be running very smoothly -- considered it's very new.
Old Jun 20, 05, 10:12 am

Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Trip Reports and Reviews

This is an interesting new property and I suspect how you will rate it will depend on what you are comparing it to. With the right expectations, I think I can endorse this hotel for a beach vacation.

First of all, my Diamond experience. I bought a very low rate, choosing a room with no defined bed type and without an ocean view. I was upgraded to the club floor on the side of the hotel. Because the hotel is tall and there are no comparable buildings near it, the balcony on the side offered a wonderful view of the ocean and was a fine place to sit and enjoy a beverage and listen to the waves. The rooms were not huge, but of a decent size and the amenities were good. 42" plasma TV (with the horrible stretch mode set), the new iPod clock radios, nice tolietries, dual head showers, LCD TV in the bathroom (which was set so that it could see all twenty something currently viewed PPV movies!), extremely comfortable beds, wireless and wired Internet, a desk and leather side chair.

The lounge was excellent, with comfortble seating, a nitrogen wine bar and soda, beer and cookies available apparently all day. The had a decent breakfast and very nice evening snacks. One day it was huge fried shrimp and a nice selection of cheese and crackers. The ladies in the lounge are very friendly and helpful. They also have full front desk powers and I should have checked in there. The real front desk told me that was fine -- they encouraged their Diamond members to do so. I'm a little fuzzy how that will work, since the club floor is key card controlled (at least most of the time). The bellman told me that there was no special Diamond check-in !?!

The rooftop pool is pretty cool. There is a small bar that will keep you supplied with cool drinks. You can order snacks delivered to the pool. The pool itself is an infinity pool looking off to the ocean, but quite small. The is a decent-sized Jacuzzi and a larger indoor pool for all weather use. There were lots of lounge chairs for getting your tan on and the roof is much cooler than the beach because it is high enough to pick up a nice breeze nearly every day.

Only one of the two restaurants was open, Catch 31. It is a very lively bar/restaurant with well prepared seafood options. We only had lunch there, but the standard was pretty high. Lots of fresh ingrediants prepared fairly simply, but well. The bar is pretty jam packed on weekends and has a very nice deck area with seating around bonfires nearest the park. The park on the North side of the building seems to feature live music nearly every night, which could be an issue if you are on that side of the building and like to sleep early, especially on a low floor.

There were some problems. The resort is still understaffed, at least for a sold-out weekend. People complained of long lines to check in, with waits of nearly 45 minutes. Service can be erratic. One morning, we decided to have room service breakfast on the balcony. They took our hang tag, but didn't bring an order. When we called, they said they had no order. The air conditioning is insanely loud, a deep rumbling bass that seems to vibrate the walls. They have three elevators and probably need six. We had very long waits for an elevator during busy periods, and you would often wind up stopping on almost every floor where people would look at the jammed to capacity elevator, sigh, and say they'd try the next one. They don't have a spa, which seems lame in a new oceanside resort hotel. You have to get your massage fix poolside or in your room.

If anyone has any specific questions I didn't cover, let me know and I'll try to answer it.
Old Jun 22, 05, 12:06 pm

Mike--thanks so much for the report. We're headed there in August. I got an good AAA rate of $125 several months ago and now they want $300 on the website.

Do you think I am entitled to a club room if I am gold?

Marlin
Old Jun 24, 05, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by marlin
Do you think I am entitled to a club room if I am gold?
When I was Gold, I had about 80% success with the following two pronged method. First, I would add a comment in my reservation with my request worded as specifically as possible. Something like "Hhonors Gold -- Rqst Club Floor if avail. Club Floor preferred over King bed" Then, when I arrived, I would attempt to be as charming as I could manage and develop a quick rapport with the front desk agent. I would then repeat my request, usually in the form of a question; "Were you guys able to get me a room on the Club Floor?" or something similar. I found that this worked almost every time and never received a bad reaction.

It might also be worth calling the hotel to see if you can check in at the Club as a Gold. I think that you usually can and this is usually a good move for upgrade questors. My best upgrade ever was as a Gold on Valentines Day at the Hilton Brussels. Not only did the Club agent give us a huge corner suite, he sent a giant fruit tray and a bottle of champagne. It was awesome.

You should also be aware that they will try to hustle you into a timeshare pitch outside the Catch 31 doors. It isn't actually a Hilton timeshare, despite the fact that the people wear Hilton shirts. I'll stay there again -- its about the same distance from my family as the HGI in "downtown" Virginia Beach and much nicer.

At $125, it is a great deal.
Old Jun 24, 05, 6:17 pm

Mike

You advice is very much appreciated.

I saw a lot of postive reviews over at Trip Advisor too. Thanks again.
Old Aug 8, 05, 9:16 am

Bumping this up to second everything that Mike said.

We had a nice stay at the new Virginia Beach Hilton and I can tell you what the Gold experience was on a sold out weekend.

They would not upgrade us to a Club room. Could hardly complain as I was paying the $125 AAA rate. At check in, they said the only way one could have Club access was if you were staying on a Club floor. ??? They could not/would not program my key to go up there and use the club.

They did give me 4 continental breakfast coupons each day which enabled us to have the very nice breakfast buffet at the Club 31 restaurant. I highly recommend eating here for lunch or dinner too- it had very fresh and creative seafood and raw bar.

Got the similar high tech room but facing an ugly parking garage. Pool was small but fun on the roof. Bands in front of the hotel every night.

All in all, it was a good stay but be prepared for crowds.
Old Aug 22, 05, 3:21 pm

Hilton VA Beach Oceanfront Trip Report

Stayed here with my husband and two friends on Aug. 14 (Sunday night). I had put comments in my reservation about Gold status and upgrade if available. We were upgraded, but not to the Executive Level. The hotel was crazy busy, so I'm guessing that's why we didn't get Executive Level. The front desk clerk said we were originally booked in a cityview room but were upgraded to an oceanview room on the side of the hotel, with a balcony. That part was a little disappointing as we were hoping for an upgrade to Exec. and the free breakfast (we didn't get breakfast at all). The rooftop infinity pool and Sky Bar were lovely, but the pool was very small and very crowded when we went. We spent more time in the indoor pool than the outdoor. The elevator situation in the lobby is abysmal. We waited for about 20 minutes for an elevator. One of them was not working and there are only two others.

As for the rooms themselves, they are nice, but not huge. The plasma tv was nice, as was the dual shower head. They had the Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, which were nice. All in all it was a nice stay - not outstanding, but not crappy either. Just ordinary.
Old Aug 25, 05, 7:23 pm
hawkeyenfo

Should have asked for your breakfast coupon. They give them to gold and above. Excellent buffet there, or you could have ordered off the menu.

Old Aug 26, 05, 12:31 am

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
Actually reserved a room on the executive floor in July, arrived...no rooms. First they tried to convince me that I had not reserved that kind of room, then after I showed my confirmation, they disappeared for a few minutes...came back with no room on executive floor, but cut room rate in 1/2, gave us access to the executive floor and breakfast there . Seems thay did that for alot of folks as that room was very crowded everytime we were in it.

Disappointed with having to pay $55 for beach chairs, must have spent too much time at other resorts wehre we have never paid for chairs.
Old Mar 28, 06, 7:45 pm

Programs: Only loyal to WN or Best Price/ Route
Anyone been here recently?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: