Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Based on prior thread advice regarding children, we have booked our reservation as 1 adult + 2 children. We are invoking the Diamond benefit for the additional free adult. I had previously had it set as 2 adults + 1 child, and they wanted to charge me extra for the rollaway bed and lounge access for my other unlisted child. I emailed the hotel to confirm that everything is in order now - will report back when I get a reply. Why is this so convoluted?
sambo150 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by frudd38
Knowing that I may just try 3 adults on 2 of the rooms. That's a bit annoying and may look at Hilton instead if they're more lenient. Thanks again for all the insight and will read past experiences more in depth.
@frudd38 did you visit the Conrad Japan? How did it work out with the kids? I'm going through the same thing now for a future booking.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, UA 1K, AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold
tennis in tokyo - or better property?

Just booked 8 night award stay for December: 7 nights on points and 1 night w certificate (475k pts) - no booking issues, but we did want to travel at the end of october and the points redemption rates jumped from 95k to 425k PER night for a standard redemption before i could book them! Nonetheless, December is fine for us. I am looking for some advice - this is our 1st time to Tokyo, we have stayed at many Conrad properties and that is our hilton hotel of choice, when its available, but i just noticed that the Hilton property has rooftop tennis courts...
We loved playing tennis at the rooftop courts at the BKK Conrad! we typically play tennis on all our vacays (beach or city) and now i cant decide if the courts are worth staying at the Hilton instead of the Conrad. It seems that many of the recent trip reports indicate that the service at the conrad has gone down & there are overcrowding issues - but tbh the Hilton trip reports seem equally poor...
Naturally we will be out in the city most of the time, but we do like a day or 2 of just lounging around the hotel, if the property is great...Any opinions / advice are welcome!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by tinkerbell78
Just booked 8 night award stay for December: 7 nights on points and 1 night w certificate (475k pts) - no booking issues, but we did want to travel at the end of october and the points redemption rates jumped from 95k to 425k PER night for a standard redemption before i could book them! Nonetheless, December is fine for us. I am looking for some advice - this is our 1st time to Tokyo, we have stayed at many Conrad properties and that is our hilton hotel of choice, when its available, but i just noticed that the Hilton property has rooftop tennis courts...
We loved playing tennis at the rooftop courts at the BKK Conrad! we typically play tennis on all our vacays (beach or city) and now i cant decide if the courts are worth staying at the Hilton instead of the Conrad. It seems that many of the recent trip reports indicate that the service at the conrad has gone down & there are overcrowding issues - but tbh the Hilton trip reports seem equally poor...
Naturally we will be out in the city most of the time, but we do like a day or 2 of just lounging around the hotel, if the property is great...Any opinions / advice are welcome!
Hi,

I was at the Conrad just after new year and the service was excellent ( louge was busy but this was just after new year and the weekend before the Coming Of Age Day ( Public holiday) but was always able to find a seat somewhere. In Jan 2018 there was one night out of 4 where they were taking names and room numbers to get into the lounge ( waiting time of 1 hour) . In Jan 2019 checking in the lounge in mid afternoon took about 30mins of waiting due to the number of people but I was offered a Bay view suite for the following nights for my last 2 nights)

Both the Conrad and Hilton are very good ( the Executive lounge at the hilton will reopen at the end of april after renovation and expansion). The conrad is a better hotel but you are probably paying a bit more. Exploring tokyo you will probably be using public transport a great deal so location is probably less important ( both are close to excellent transport links with the Hilton being towards the west of central tokyo and the conrad being towards the south east. The Conrad is handy to get to Haneda airport though)

The lobby of the hilton can get crowded at times ( more so than at the Conrad) but once upstairs in the lounge it is generally peaceful. I found the afternoon tea selection slightly better at the hilton ( lots of small cakes and puddings) ( hopefully the new lounge will have similar selections) and service in the lounges generally very good ( at peak times the staff in both hotels are kept busy maintaining the flow of food from the kitchens as the food gets take quickly with all the lounge guests with the occasional wait for more food selections to be brought out)

Conrad lower lobby (street level) generated a sense of calm after exploring tokyo and the main lobby on the 28 floor was huge and luxurious . The lounge and bar can get busy in the afternoon/evening.

I like to work out daily but after walking around tokyo all day I occassionally skipped a session or just had a light workout or just a swim

December is an excellent time to visit with all the Christmas/winter decorations ( Thr Conrad is very close to the Carretta shiodome which has lots of christmas tree shaped metal decoratios with lights and fake candles with regular music ( Disney tunes such as Be our Guest and Let it go) and the Hilton is close to the beautiful winter illuminations at the south terrace of Shinjuku station.

It probably depends which area you will spend more time and if you need to save some points for other trips.

Regards

TBS
travelbugging likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Apr 3, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
The Conrad is a much more luxurious property overall. I wouldn't count on favorable weather in late fall for tennis, so I would stick with the Conrad, especially if you are planning on just "lounging" at the hotel. For many, including myself, Shinjuku (Hilton Tokyo), is a more exciting neighborhood, and the hotel is very nice, but not at the level of the Conrad as far as facilities, service etc..
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:27 pm

Conrad Tokyo 5th Night Free, Different Room on One Night

I want to make a 5 night reservation at the Conrad Tokyo using my HH points (arriving on a Wednesday and departing on Monday). I understand the 5th night will be free (actually a 20% discount for each night). The problem is that a standard king room is not available on that Sunday night. It is available for the remainder of the nights. The standard twin is not available for that Saturday night, but it is available for the other nights.

I wouldn't mind changing room on the last night (Sunday) from a king to a twin. However, the HH agent told me I won't be able to get the 5th night free because I would be changing from a king room to a twin room for the last night.

Is there any way around this?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I was at the Conrad just after new year and the service was excellent ( louge was busy but this was just after new year and the weekend before the Coming Of Age Day ( Public holiday) but was always able to find a seat somewhere.

Both the Conrad and Hilton are very good ( the Executive lounge at the hilton will reopen at the end of april after renovation and expansion). The conrad is a better hotel but you are probably paying a bit more. Exploring tokyo you will probably be using public transport a great deal so location is probably less important ( both are close to excellent transport links with the Hilton being towards the west of central tokyo and the conrad being towards the south east. The Conrad is handy to get to Haneda airport though)

I like work out but after walking around tokyo all day I occassionally skipped a session or just had a light one

December is an excellent time to visit with all the Christmas/winter decorations ( Thr Conrad is very close to the Carretta shiodome which has lots of christmas tree shaped metal decoratios with lights and fake candles with regular music ( Disney tunes such as Be our Guest and Let it go) and the Hilton is close to the beautiful winter illuminations at the south terrace of Shinjuku station.

It probably depends which area you will spend more time and if you need to save some points for other trips.

Regards

TBS
Thanks TBS - Im not entirely sure which part of town we want to be in, as its our first visit...we are very good with public transport, so as u mentioned, the location might not make much of a difference. DH really values great service and i appreciate u noting the high level of service you received
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:26 pm

thanks teemuflyer - what do you like about the Shinjuku neighborhood?

Last edited by tinkerbell78; Apr 3, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:59 pm

For the 5th night free you need all 5 nights in one reservation. Technically the hotel could join 2 reservations for that, but you can not rely on that.

Of course you can book a King for 5 nights and negotiate with the hotel later about getting a Twin.

Or you negotiate first and see what they can offer you.

You can also wait and see, if the availability will change to a Twin for 5 nights, but that could be risky as the availability for the 4 nights could go away as well.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Consider asking the property to open up King award space on the unavailable night for you. If they are willing, they should be able to coordinate via reservations.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:25 am

thanks teemuflyer - what do you like about the Shinjuku neighborhood?
The area right around the Shinjuku station is very active, full of stores, restaurants and bars. There you will find the Yakitori Alley, the Golden Gai bar district as well Kabukicho street with it's Robot Restaurant. The nice thing is that the actual hotel is in a much quieter area, but within 10-15 minutes walking from the action (or take the Hilton Shuttle bus to the station).
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by thbe
For the 5th night free you need all 5 nights in one reservation. Technically the hotel could join 2 reservations for that, but you can not rely on that.

Of course you can book a King for 5 nights and negotiate with the hotel later about getting a Twin.

Or you negotiate first and see what they can offer you.

You can also wait and see, if the availability will change to a Twin for 5 nights, but that could be risky as the availability for the 4 nights could go away as well.
It doesn't matter at all to me if we have 5 nights in a twin or 5 nights in a king room. The problem is that neither the king room nor the twin room is available as a standard HH award stay for the full 5 nights. The king is available for 4 out of the 5 nights, and the twin is available for 4 out of the 5 nights. The non-available night is different for the king than than the twin room.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
The area right around the Shinjuku station is very active, full of stores, restaurants and bars. There you will find the Yakitori Alley, the Golden Gai bar district as well Kabukicho street with it's Robot Restaurant. The nice thing is that the actual hotel is in a much quieter area, but within 10-15 minutes walking from the action (or take the Hilton Shuttle bus to the station).
Hi,

There is also the Shinjuku Goyen National Park, the Shinjuku City Park and the Tokyo metropolitan goverment buildings with a free observation deck in each of the 2 towers ( it also has a tourist information office)

Regards

TBS
tinkerbell78 likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Apr 3, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

There is also the Shinjuku Goyen National Park, the Shinjuku City Park and the Tokyo metropolitan goverment buildings with a free observation deck in each of the 2 towers.

Regards

TBS
Funny you mention the Tokyo Metropolitan Gov't buildings. My wife and I went and checked them out during out most recent visit. Quite impressive. We were also approached by a volunteer guide who took both us of into the Tokyo City Assembly amongst other sites within the area and explained the history and processes to us. It was very nice.

And yes, the nearby parks are also a nice diversion if one is looking for some peace and quiet.

Finally, not too far is the Tokyo Park Hyatt, famous from the "Lost in Translation" movie. I actually got a whiskey sitting in the very spot Bill Murray did in the film and enjoyed some live jazz while watching the incredible nighttime Tokyo skyline visible from the bar.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:59 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
thx teemuflyer - im still torn! arghhhhh
i have quite a few friends that describe Shinjuku as Times Square!
i may flip a coin to decide - but ill probably stick w the Conrad...we havent had a bad experience at the 7 Conrads we have stayed at & i do enjoy adding to my stuffed animal collection

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.