Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Grapenut
Conrad is the better hotel, but the Hilton is still a nice property. Choose the Conrad if you prefer hotel ambiance, better breakfast spread, and convenient access to that side of Tokyo.

If Shinjuku is your thing you can't go wrong with the Hilton. The lobby of the Hilton can feel quite hectic at busy times, doesn't have the views of the Conrad, and the rooms are a little more dull.
I havent stayed at the Conrad, but the views from the Executive Lounge at the Hilton are incredible.

I wouldnt ever book a non-standard reward, especially at the 300k level, so hopefully it will dip back to 95 at some point.

We loved the Hilton, so if it doesnt its not that big of a deal, but we did want to try staying in a different neighborhood for the 2nd trip.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:41 am

The service of the Conrad Tokyo is one of the best I’ve ever experienced. If someone wants to see or to get reminded, how good services at a hotel can be, the Conrad is the right choice. I’m looking forward for my next stay.

But you can’t do anything wrong with the Hilton. Less points and a better location for your plans are very good arguments.

But: Most of the time the availability of standard room awards is better at the Hilton. So it is easier to switch an standard award stay from Conrad to Hilton than from Hilton to Conrad.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thbe
The service of the Conrad Tokyo is one of the best I’ve ever experienced. If someone wants to see or to get reminded, how good services at a hotel can be, the Conrad is the right choice. I’m looking forward for my next stay.

But you can’t do anything wrong with the Hilton. Less points and a better location for your plans are very good arguments.

But: Most of the time the availability of standard room awards is better at the Hilton. So it is easier to switch an standard award stay from Conrad to Hilton than from Hilton to Conrad.
I find the stations in and around the Shinjuku to be less confusing than the one directly below the Conrad. I figured it out when I stayed at the Conrad, it's not a problem, but just felt a bit more comfortable with the stations in Shinjuku. Plus the point savings, hard to turn down when the Hilton is thought of pretty highly, just perhaps not as luxurious as the Conrad. I was feeling bad about burning nearly all my remaining points at the Conrad even despite the fact that its an excellent value compared to cash rates.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Trying to use my cert. the weekend I’m looking for has no Friday or sat base points room if you try to book one night but you can book
it with points if it’s a 2+ night points stay. Is this gaming common?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Grapenut
Conrad is the better hotel, but the Hilton is still a nice property. Choose the Conrad if you prefer hotel ambiance, better breakfast spread, and convenient access to that side of Tokyo.

If Shinjuku is your thing you can't go wrong with the Hilton. The lobby of the Hilton can feel quite hectic at busy times, doesn't have the views of the Conrad, and the rooms are a little more dull.
I usually stay at the Conrad, but there's a certain feeling I get swimming in the Hilton pool and looking in the windows at all the sallarymen in their offices surrounding the Hilton. There I am, swimming in a nice pool in a nice hotel, wearing only swimmers, while they toil in smoky stuffy offices wearing hot suits, shoes, and ties.
Grapenut likes this.

Last edited by anabolism; Feb 12, 2019 at 11:47 pm Reason: fixed typos: dropped 't' in 'the' and extraneous 'e' in 'smoky'
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Talking

Just booked a stay here for my birthday
Do you guys ever email the GM and ask for upgrade?
if so, how do I ask lol awks
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I was here in January for a transit and in Conrad Osaka last week - Havent stayed here for a LONG time but I stayed at the one in Osaka a few times the last 2 years. In short, I very much side with @Ross0 (and his report. His summary for Conrad Osaka is here.)

The only good part for the Tokyo for me was that I've gotten a suite (because I asked). I've had a Executive Twin in Osaka on my first stay and Executive Double this time - the 2 times last year I didnt get one but one time it was full because of corp functions.

The breakfast was MUCHHHHH better at the Osaka. better spread, more stations so there's less congestion, slightly modern take on japanese breakfast (but I see the spread seem to have dropped - I hope this is because of the busy times and is not permanent). PS: I see his comment on the spread of chinese food in Conrad Tokyo - i dont know how it taste, i dont care if they existed. If i wanted chinese food I would go to china, not Japan. However, for what I've tried at both hotels, Conrad Osaka served a good fried rice (with dried seafood, that wasn't explicitly marketed as such) and Conrad Tokyo served a good fried e-fu noodle (with mixed mushrooms).
Obviously the room in Osaka is newer.
Lounge: better general spread in Osaka. I've never made the evening cocktail hour a meal in Japan but it has nicer offerings. The Tokyo lounge seems like the nicer airline lounges with a few hot plates. kind of out of place! However, beers in Tokyo (Coedo) is better than Osaka (Kirin and Heineken).

Didnt use the gym/spa of the Conrad Tokyo, but the one in Osaka is good. Very good.
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Base rooms for September 2019 are now open, I'm looking forward to my third visit.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Feb 14, 2019 at 11:14 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:03 pm

Do they upgrade golds to the executive lounge floor IF there are exec rooms for sale? Or is it hard for golds to get upgraded to club floor rooms?

last 2 times I visited I was diamond and had club access, but now gold.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by exmike
Trying to use my cert. the weekend I’m looking for has no Friday or sat base points room if you try to book one night but you can book
it with points if it’s a 2+ night points stay. Is this gaming common?
I've noticed this same practice with other hotels in Japan. Its like they don't want you to be able to use a certificate or something.....
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by globaltrotter
Do they upgrade golds to the executive lounge floor IF there are exec rooms for sale? Or is it hard for golds to get upgraded to club floor rooms?

I'm trying to remember but I don't think I was upgraded as gold. I have read some people have been but if memory serves its far from guaranteed at this location.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by xmzzn123
anyone was able to use weekend night reward cert here? I shouldn't have any problem as long as there is standard award availability right?
Correct, I used a weekend night reward cert for May 12 with no problem.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by xmzzn123
anyone was able to use weekend night reward cert here? I shouldn't have any problem as long as there is standard award availability right?
i used my 2 weekend nights and I loved it!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:21 am

Just booked 5 nights with points here at the end of December. Looking forward to it! Also booked one night at the Conrad Osaka with the aspire weekend night certificate.

One thing I noticed when looking for award availability is that when I was logged into my hilton account and searched for award availability, nothing was showing up. However, when I was logged out it showed that there were award nights available. This might be because I only had a few thousand points in my account (would transfer them in from Amex if I saw availability).

I was calling in to use my weekend night certificate and had them check on award availability and they had no issue finding standard rooms. Transferred in points and booked over the phone no problem.

TLDR: Search award availability without being logged in and/or call hilton to see if they show anything different on their end.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by globaltrotter

I was offered a complimentary upgrade to either a Bay View room or Exec City View as a gold during each of my previous visits. Interestingly the rate didn't seem to matter.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Feb 25, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.