Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:16 pm

Glad things are looking better already. It did sound like a very different place to my previous stats, even earlier this year so I was somewhat surprised by your comments. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Reasonable minds can certainly disagree. This is entirely subjective. I'm glad you have found the breakfast at Conrad Tokyo to be one of the best city hotel breakfasts that you've ever had. I disagree and have different expectations. As for your question -- other hotels of similar size in large cities find ways to do it. Perhaps having a a bigger dining area without increasing the number of hotel guests would solve the problem? One could also think of a number of other creative solutions to this problem as well (see my next post).
I too am of the opinion that Conrad's breakfast buffet is fabulous. In fact, it's probably the best I've ever had. I do agree with you that the size of the dining area is a problem. But I think they've worked to improve the situation. This is what I saw them do this past weekend:
1). They were turning away non-guests.
2). They had a lady standing near the elevator lobby to catch people getting off the elevator and welcoming them to the breakfast, as a tactful way of picking out guests from non-guests.
3). They had opened up the restaurant next door for more tables (not sure if they'd done this in the past).

The hotel was sold out, and there were still short queues that had formed from time to time. However, I never saw people waiting too long.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:05 pm

upgrade!

This was maybe our 4th stay as a Diamond and, for the first time, we got an upgrade... from standard city view room to bay view suite no less!

I never ever ask for an upgrade at hotels in Jpn (as a Japanese, I find it awkward to ask for that type of favour in Jpn). Meanwhile you see gaijin guests hogging up the EL desk, taking up tons of time probably doing all kinds of negotiations. I started to think all the upgrades were going to them. But on this occasion, I again didn't ask for anything but they just gave me a suite upgrade!

Not only that, this time they never brought up the EL access fees for our two kids. This is something they always brought up in the past. I wonder if this is something they've decided to back off on.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by evergrn
I too am of the opinion that Conrad's breakfast buffet is fabulous. In fact, it's probably the best I've ever had. I do agree with you that the size of the dining area is a problem. But I think they've worked to improve the situation. This is what I saw them do this past weekend:
1). They were turning away non-guests.
2). They had a lady standing near the elevator lobby to catch people getting off the elevator and welcoming them to the breakfast, as a tactful way of picking out guests from non-guests.
3). They had opened up the restaurant next door for more tables (not sure if they'd done this in the past).

The hotel was sold out, and there were still short queues that had formed from time to time. However, I never saw people waiting too long.
That settles it then. Conrad breakfast buffet for the WIN!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
They seated me and my guests at the restaurant when I stay there last May during golden week, which I found much better compared to the actual breakfast space.
For one it's overlooking the park and since its a distance away from the buffet table, it is much less crowded.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Last time I stayed there when the hotel was very full was a few years ago. At that time, they opened the restaurant at the end of the hall for breakfast.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
Last time I stayed there when the hotel was very full was a few years ago. At that time, they opened the restaurant at the end of the hall for breakfast.
Originally Posted by sandyph
They seated me and my guests at the restaurant when I stay there last May during golden week, which I found much better compared to the actual breakfast space.
For one it's overlooking the park and since its a distance away from the buffet table, it is much less crowded.
I liked it better, too. Tables in the buffet restaurant itself are a bit too close together.
So I guess they're really doing what they can with the breakfast situation.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:10 pm

I too am of the opinion that Conrad's breakfast buffet is fabulous. In fact, it's probably the best I've ever had.
While the Conrad has its pros and cons, I'm another in agreement here. It's one of the best breakfast spreads I've come across.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott PPE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Seems like they still block off standard rooms for the entire March and April. Any idea if they open it up eventually?
I managed to get an April reservation in August, but had to cancel due to a schedule change, and the rooms never came back.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by AngryOvis
Seems like they still block off standard rooms for the entire March and April. Any idea if they open it up eventually?.
Conrad Tokyo just unblocked the standard king/twin rooms from mid-March thru mid-April 2019 (excluding weekends every night is currently available for 95k/night).

I just booked for 03-05 April thanks to an alert I received from OpenHotelAlert.com (highly recommend using them if you're waiting for blocked rooms to open). Rates for the standard rooms were going for around $1200/night (including taxes).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kapooncha
2) I have to take issue with your breakfast comments. First, the food offerings are much more than decent. I've said multiple times previously that it's one of the best city hotel breakfasts (that I was able to get for free) that I've ever had. The food was delicious.
I'm going to second with Ross here. On my stay at the end of December, I found the Restaurant Breakfast decent, but no means great, and not at the level of other high end hotels in SE Asia. Personally my outright favourite breakfast of the hotels I have stayed at around Asia is the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, great food, and so much choice including cooked to order items. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the offering the Hilton KL was, which was almost as good. And a Doutbletree and Hilton in Java Indonesia I stayed at last year again had a really good Restaurant breakfast, which also probably pipped the WA Shaghai. All of these eclipsed that of the Conrad Tokyo, which I expected to match at least that of Hilton's in the region.

All be said, overall I found the staff great, had a sound nights sleep and enjoyed my stay there.
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
anyone was able to use weekend night reward cert here? I shouldn't have any problem as long as there is standard award availability right?
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by xmzzn123
anyone was able to use weekend night reward cert here? I shouldn't have any problem as long as there is standard award availability right?
Should be fine, yes. I haven't used any certs at the Conrad Tokyo, but I have used them at the Conrad Hong Kong.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
No issues at all if you find standard award availability. Done it a couple of times.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Yes if you can find standard award availability. Have used a couple at this property and also received upgrades on the stays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.