Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MeLike2Travel
I'm looking for some help/advice. I'm in the process of planning a first-time trip to Tokyo. We're doing a tour. We end in Tokyo and have last nights we need to book a hotel for. It's either the Hilton Tokyo or the Conrad. I've tried to do research on which location would be better for us. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is within walking distance. Can someone please recommend which hotel would be better for a first-timer to Tokyo? I'm Diamond, so also curious as to which hotel gives better treatment
Here's my take (and literally at the Hilton Tokyo typing this, going to the Conrad Tokyo tomorrow).

Nightlife, "action" etc. is near the Hilton. 10 minute walk to Shinjuku station and all that entails. The Conrad is much higher end, and as mentioned earlier, fish market access, plus high end shopping nearby. Your choice!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I prefer the location of the Hilton Tokyo. I find it to be a much more pleasurable area to walk around. The area around the Conrad is more of a concrete jungle with overpasses and underpasses and barriers and whatnot.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I'm looking for some help/advice. I'm in the process of planning a first-time trip to Tokyo. We're doing a tour. We end in Tokyo and have last nights we need to book a hotel for. It's either the Hilton Tokyo or the Conrad. I've tried to do research on which location would be better for us. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is within walking distance. Can someone please recommend which hotel would be better for a first-timer to Tokyo? I'm Diamond, so also curious as to which hotel gives better treatment
I have stayed at both Conrad Tokyo and Hilton Tokyo more than few times. I think it boils down to personal preference. Yes, Conrad is more upper scale establishment than Hilton. Overall ambiance of Conrad is usually quieter than Hilton. Obviously, because of that often rates at Conrad is higher than Hilton. Conrad is located near bay area so there are rooms with bay view which is slightly priced higher than city view rooms. Where rooms at Hilton is all city view.

Distance form a hotel to restaurants and shopping are pretty much same for Conrad and Hilton. From Conrad to Shinbashi/Shiodome area is closest restaurant area, and distance is not much different than from Hilton to west side of Shinjuku station restaurant area. For Hilton there are restaurants at basement and the top floor on near by high rise, such as Sumitomo Building right next to Hilton. From Conrad to Ginza is the shopping area including high end shopping. From Hilton to east side of Shinjuku station is the shopping area which is similar in distance. East of Shinjuku station area do not have independent high end designers stores like Ginza but department stores at east of Shinjuku station have those high end designer’s items if that is your taste.

East side of Shinjuku station area will provide further restaurants options, especially step a block away from the major road, which is similar fom Conrad going to west side of Shinbashi station.

As some indicated right outside of Conrad Tokyo there has been road construction going on for more than few years now, when does it end? Because of that waking on the surface from Conrad to Shinbashi/Shiodome area can feel little more walk around than walking form Hilton to Shinjuku station area. However, both at Conrad and Hilton you can walk underground to Shinbashi/Shiodome area and Shinjuku station respectively.

Yes, if visiting fish market is that high on your to do list then cannot beat the location of Conrad. But for me hotel itself will be decision point. For me surrounding area restaurants/shopping access are both about same.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by hailstorm
You're lucky in that the world famous Tsukiji Fish Market, which was scheduled to be shuttered by now, remains open due to complications with the replacement. This is within walking distance from the Conrad, as is Ginza. It's also very close to the Yurikamome Line and JR Shinbashi Station, a large travel hub.

By comparison, Hilton Tokyo is old and somewhat isolated location. It would actually be my FOURTH choice of Hiltons in Tokyo, behind Hilton Tokyo Bay and Hilton Odaiba.

Especially as a Diamond, I would say Conrad Tokyo is a slam dunk pick.
I echo the comments about the location. I spent a week at the Conrad Tokyo at the end of May, and was treated very well. As a Diamond, I was upgraded to a bay view suite that was very nice. The lounge was quiet and refined, and never too busy for the week that I was there. It is in an area with many tall office towers, so you do have to walk a few minutes to find interesting sights. It is also very easy to take the metro if you want to travel a bit further. I explored Ginza, Shibuya, Roppongi, and other neighbourhoods all within a reasonable walking distance or a short metro ride.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:25 am
pav

Programs: LH Sen, QR Gold
Good rates at Hotels Combined

Hope this may be of interest to some.
Earlier this week I've taken advantage of some good rates for Conrad Tokyo on hotelscombined.com for summer this year.
Booked myself a fully refundable stay in King City View (I know, I know, Bay View is so much better...) directly with Hilton at JPY 94k for B&B per day and used the BRG to end up with a rate of JPY 42k per day.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Love seeing all the info and thoughts. Appreciate it. Will take all into consideration....
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:39 am

Conrad Tokyo is a nice location for exploring Tokyo. Shimbashi station and Shimbashi station are both relatively close and give you easy access by train to many parts of Tokyo. You can walk to the Tsukiji Fish Market and also Ginza (mainly via overpasses and dedicated pedestrian walkways, so it doesn't feel like that long a walk). The caretta tower Shiodome next door also has several restaurants in it, including a Din Tai Fung. It's also pretty close to Tokyo Station, so if you want to take the train Narita or Shinkansen elsewhere, it's a quick train ride or a relatively inexpensive cab (JPY1000-1500, depending on traffic and which entrance you go to).

As for the hotel itself, I loved the rooms and the lounge. The breakfast is great, and you can have your choice of bay or city views. The service was pretty great overall.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As posted above, while access to the fish market is nice it is the kind of thing that you maybe go to once, and that is it in your lifetime, unless you have a fascination with lots of edible fish!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
As posted above, while access to the fish market is nice it is the kind of thing that you maybe go to once, and that is it in your lifetime, unless you have a fascination with lots of edible fish!
Well, considering it likely won't be around this time next year, it's likely now or never!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:33 pm

It's going to take forever to close and move. The latest from the Governor of the area is that it will move temporarily and return to a renovated Tsukiji as it's a great attraction.

They still haven't fixed the perceived contamination issues at the new site so it's not going anywhere in a hurry.

Personally, I'd take the Conrad (and have booked it for my next stay), but it's not because of Tsukiji.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: United PremPlat; M LT Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire A
I'm a Hilton Diamond and I've booked a 5 nights reservation (only King bed was available) for mid-July. I emailed the hotel that it will be four of us (2 kids under 10) and requested the possibility to put us in a double bed room. The response was 1. hotel will be full, no upgrade can be expected, 2. pay extra 7,500JPY exclude tax and service charge per night for a roll-away bed, 3. pay extra 3,500JPY exclude tax and service charge per night and person for the kids for lounge access....
Well, former posts do not indicate that there was extra charge for the kids.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Steep charges maybe, but did you really rely only on FT rather than contact the hotel before booking?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: United PremPlat; M LT Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire A
No, I booked the room independently of FT as some hotels explicitly prohibit 2 adults and 2 kids. The booking can be cancelled. I just noted what answer I received - might be helpful for someone else. The last similar notes from 3 years ago on this thread.
Ohh, BTW, HiltonHonors through twitter direct message answered that everyone should be admitted to the lounge w/o further charge.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by illesus
No, I booked the room independently of FT as some hotels explicitly prohibit 2 adults and 2 kids. The booking can be cancelled. I just noted what answer I received - might be helpful for someone else. The last similar notes from 3 years ago on this thread.
Ohh, BTW, HiltonHonors through twitter direct message answered that everyone should be admitted to the lounge w/o further charge.
My personal experience is that Conrad Tokyo will waive Lounge access fee for your party as a benefit of Diamond status. I do not know whether a fee for rollaway applies or not.

In your email to the hotel, did you mention that you are a Diamond member?
If you did, then the hotel response was not quite correct.
If you search this thread, you will find there was a reply from a Conrad Tokyo representative agreeing that there is no additional charge for lounge access.

Before you abandon your reservation, may I suggest you forward HHonors twitter message to hotel and asked them to research further. :-)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by illesus
I have stayed at Conrad Tokyo more than few times over several years. I have seen lounge access policy change at Conrad Tokyo over years. My case three guests in a room and once were charged for third guest access to the lounge, and anther time was not charge for third guest access for lounge. Also, I did not confirm this with the hotel, but I had a suspicious the room type may made the difference…? One time the stay was in standard room, and another time the stay was in suite (paid, not upgrade). It is best to confirm with the hotel regarding current policy regarding lounge access.

If I were you, I will put more emphasis on the response from Conrad Tokyo over the response from Hilton Honors Customer Service/Twitter team.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.