Search

Capital Hilton {US-DC}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 1999, 11:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Arrow Capital Hilton {US-DC}

Hi... I stayed at the Caiptal Hilton during the Labor Day weekend. I was upgraded to an HHonors higher floor. Accomodations were nice.

Of interest was that they had Internet Connections in the room. They are offering a service called OverVoice from CAIS Internet. http://www.cais.com It costs $9.99 per day to activate, billed to your room. I did not use it, but they deliver a 10 Base T Ethernet connector right to the room.

These seems very useful when on the road on business. The price seems OK if the speed is good. Maybe other Hotels will follow suit.

cheers.....redrock
Old Apr 19, 2001, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Capital Hilton

Would appreciate opinion of viewers on the
Capital Hilton in Washington DC. Have a
confirmed res. on Club floor. Is Hotel any
good? Central for tooling around DC? Please
advise.
Old Apr 19, 2001, 9:40 am

RTWSTARALLIANCE -- Good choice. Nice hotel, great location. For more information see these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000637.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001545.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000227.html
Old Jun 7, 2001, 8:22 pm

anyone else have specifics. I think I want to book a regular room and try and get upgraded to Towers based on my Gold VIP, but the website does not seem to show "Towers" level rooms per se.
Old Jun 8, 2001, 8:30 pm
Suspended

I stayed there three years ago, before I had really climbed the ranks in their program...I stayed on a point stay and was a silver member.

Nice property with a very good location.

When I think of DC, I think of the Mall and Downtown, so I think the five best located properties are the Capital Hilton, the St. Regis (my new favorite), the Willard and the Hotel Washington (go to their roof top bar in the evening for a dribk...view is AWESOME), and the JW Marriott.
Old Jun 8, 2001, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...and the Hotel Washington (go to their roof top bar in the evening for a dribk..."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The view may be nice but IMHO the hotel is a real honest historically-correct dump (my reference is 5 stays in 5 years for conventions held there, but I moved to the J W Marr for stays 6+)). If one is staying in DC and within 2 blocks of a Metro stop, I would say they are in a very good location. And those "dribks" must really be strong.

MisterNice
Old Jun 9, 2001, 11:27 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
I have stayed at the Capitol hilton about ten times over the last five years and have mixed feelings about it. The last couple of years have been trying as there is major construction going on next door. So you have to sure to ask for a room away from that side of the hotel. Corner rooms are nice, very large. I have noted in my Palm to ask for an "81" room, 481, 581 etc.
It used to be that the Washington Flyer stopped right next door too before the construction, but now they don't, a minus if you travel that way.
I very much like the club, as it is spacious, well stocked, and the staff are friendly and helpful.
The location is also excellent at 16th & L, as it is two blocks from the White House and close to the monuments.
Metro stop is Farragut North, which is two or three longish blocks away. Not a fun walk with luggage or in the rain.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 1:43 pm

Wanted: Capital Hilton Info

I am staying at the Capital Hilton next weekend. Any info I should be aware of? Are the Towers Rooms really a perk?
Old Apr 14, 2002, 10:23 am
Suspended

Capitol Hilton at pointsstretcher !

I am planning to stay at this hotel and wont be having a rental car
cos of its proximity to attractions. I hope my assumptions on all
attractions being at walkable distance is correct ? also are there any
medium priced restaurants ,grocery shops near by.....any inputs?
I got the June 28-30 weekened on pointstretcher for 33K points.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 10:33 am

i recommend that you get a map. doesnt sound like you have checked one yet. find the hotel, and put a thumbtack there. then put thumbtacks to the places you want to go. then meaure the distance, and figure out if you want to walk those distances. none of us knows what you consider walking distance. i walk all the time, all over. my next door neighbor uses his car to go two blocks to the movie store. its all relative.

what you really want to find out about is the likelihood of getting jumped/mugged in that area, but i have a hunch that if you get near a federal building, youre safe, as the place is crawling with overt and covert security.

[This message has been edited by homey (edited 04-14-2002).]
Old Apr 14, 2002, 11:24 am

I assume you mean the Capital Hilton, 1001 16th Street, Washington DC?

Note that the name is "Capital" not "Capitol" (as you wrote in the thread title), so it is not near the Capitol (where the Senate and House conduct business) but in fact is located near the White House.

The hotel is in a very safe area, I wouldn't worry about crime.

Walking distance is as the previous poster pointed out, a relative term. Definitely walking distance to the White House (which is not open to the public at this time -- the only tourist attraction still closed because of 9/11). Smithsonian museums are a little further out, around 3/4 of a mile or greater. About a mile to the Lincoln Memorial, and a 1.5 miles to the Capitol.

Best transportation option is Metro rail, www.wmata.com. It is safe, clean, and relatively convenient. A couple of stop are conviently located near your hotel. A pretty useful tool at the website is "The Ride Guide" which allows you to type in (for example) "Capital Hilton Hotel" and "National Air and Space Museum" and it will tell you how to get there. Be sure to click on "advanced search" and "rail only" so that it does not give you buses, which are not recommended. The results give walking distances. All day metro rail pass is $5.

I am not familiar with restaurants and supermarkets in the area. The hotel is in the business district, so supermarkets may be hard to find.

If you don't plan on leaving DC, skip the car, use Metro rail. Parking in dowtown DC is impossible.

If you are flying into National Airport (DCA) it is right on Metro rail, so you can use it to get to your hotel and skip the expense of a taxi. Cost $1.10 per person, or $1.40 during rush hour. Walking distance 0.2 miles (according to ride guide).

If you are flying into Dulles (IAD) Metro has bus service to one of its rail station, then rail can be taken from there. See website for details.

If you are flying into Baltimore (BWI) take a taxi.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Rocketman

[This message has been edited by Rocketman (edited 04-14-2002).]
Old Apr 14, 2002, 12:01 pm

As previously mentioned, since the Capital Hilton is really close to a Metro Stop, it is very easy to get to all the tourist attractions.

However I found the Hilton Garden Inn to be located in a more of a "touristy" region, and a little safer.

You can take the MARC train / Amtrak into Washinton DC instead of a taxi. A taxi runs about $60 each way, and I believe the train is appreciably less, especially if you purchase a round trip ticket.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Sorry i meant Capitol and not Capital. I like walking and would consider a 1 mile walk as a nice walk. my parenst also love walking ...I will be flying to BWI and then will take taxi to Hilton ,,I guess it would take $60 right? My parents would be on tourism visit to USA and they are flying to BWI from INDIA. They are vegeratrians and hence I was wondering about some grocery stores nearby..i guess i will have to take taxi/metro to get to a grocery store nearby..
Old Apr 14, 2002, 1:56 pm

Programs: FL, AA, DL
Taxis from Baltimore are expensive, though might be best for older relatives. If you were just doing it as a single person, though, I'd recommend the MARC train or maybe a Super Shuttle, though both take longer. Take a look at this page for transportation information from BWI to DC, and approximate costs.

There's also some good pages for vegetarian resources. These list grocery stores and restaurants, by neighborhood, though the restaurant list hasn't been updated in a while. If you're eating with a mixed group of omnivores and vegetarians, and like chili, my personal bet is for the Hard Times Cafe. There's a few of them scattered about the metro area. They have some half dozen types of chili, including vegetarian, and other veggie fare.

Virtually every restaurant in the city will have at least one vegetarian dish, though. I can't remember the last time I went to a restaurant and couldn't find something to eat. Even steakhouses.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 2:01 pm

Programs: FL, AA, DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ebell:
Taxis from Baltimore are expensive, though might be best for older relatives. If you were just doing it as a single person, though, I'd recommend the MARC train or maybe a Super Shuttle, though both take longer. Take a look at this page for transportation information from BWI to DC, and approximate costs.

There's also some good pages for vegetarian resources. These list grocery stores and restaurants, by neighborhood, though the restaurant list hasn't been updated in a while. If you're eating with a mixed group of omnivores and vegetarians, and like chili, my personal bet is for the Hard Times Cafe. There's a few of them scattered about the metro area. They have some half dozen types of chili, including vegetarian, and other American-style fare.

Virtually every restaurant in the city will have at least one vegetarian dish, though. I can't remember the last time I went to a restaurant and couldn't find something to eat. Even steakhouses.
</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.