Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Hyde Park {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2001, 8:05 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
STAY CLEAR OF THIS HOTEL!!!!!!

THERE ARE BETTER HILTONS WITH MUCH BETTER SERVICE IN LONDON.

THIS HOTEL HAS BEEN THE WORST OF THE HILTONS IN LONDON IMO.

Old May 2, 2001, 9:54 am
Suspended

I guess everyone gets different experiences but my stay there last December was very good. The staff was very friendly and even though there wasn't a conceirge desk, they would call around for answers they didn't know. The price wwas right also.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 9:35 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
London Hyde Park

Hi,

Has anyone stayed here? We will be staying Aug 21-29th. I booked the room months ago and got a fantastic rate. We also have booked two addtional rooms for the weekend for family and friends have booked for the weekend also. Just wondering if there's a chance of an upgrade. We are Diamond. Should I do anything in advance to help getting an upgrade? How's the hotel overall? I know it's one of the older properties but needed something reasonably priced considering the three rooms. Also we will be there over my husband's 50th birthday. Think the hotel will do anything special if I tell them?
Old Jul 15, 2001, 12:30 pm

I was warned off Hyde Park by several FT'ers....Islington and Metropole can be had fairly cheap and the reviews for both are much better.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 1:02 pm

It's to late to change. I got the cheapest rate here 75GBP. We're experience London visitors so really only wanted a decent hotel. I chose Hilton because at the time we were Gold but are now Diamonds. Seeing as we are paying for three rooms I needed something that was fairly reasonable and this one beat the others on price when I booked a few months ago. We'll see how the customer service is and I'll post after the trip. It looks like the front desk is the same as anywhere. Sometimes good and sometimes not so good. Thanks for the replies.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 1:56 pm

Can't say how the Hyde Park is as I've never stayed there however over the last few months I have been spending 3-4 nights a week in various Hilton properties in London. As a Diamond I am very pleased with the way I am treated. The Kensington in my opinion is often overlooked but nowadays seems to be consistent in terms of upgrades without asking. Also use of lounge is no problem. The lounge can be very busy on weekday mornings and can be difficult to get to the breakfast area. A solution is to ask at the desk in the lounge for breakfast vouchers for your party. You simply hand these over downstairs to a waiter. Last week I had a rate of Ł51.45 + tax, the week before Ł61.00. I really like the Metropole and it often has reasonable rates however it is huge (1000+ rooms). May be a bit too impersonal for some. I'm not fond of the Hilton Park Lane and if you are looking for a Hilton of that standard try the Hilton Langham, which is hard to beat for its service and central location.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 4:01 pm

Hi Ryker.
Where are U getting those rates.
Im off to there soon .
Moremilesplease.
Dont forget to have the Diamond or Gold card with you or you wont get breakky downstairs - at least I didnt.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 4:42 pm
Suspended

I really enjoyed Hyde Park last December. We were fortunate to get the only room upgrade in the place (it helps to take a cute 9 year old daughter) so it made the stay very nice. Staff was great. Good location.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 1:48 am

Hi Tinkybelle
The web site often displays these rates especially in months outside of the summer: Mostly they are pay at booking though.
I just checked a date completely at random on the site (check in 22 August) and found this:
Ł69.00 HILTON VALUE PLUS (HS) DOUBLE ROOM
WITH INDIVIDUALLY CONTROLLED AIR CONDITIONING
FULL PAYMENT NON REFUNABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING
Old Jul 16, 2001, 11:57 am

During our stay in London this past February, I choose the Hyde Park Hilton as it was close to the shopping meccas as well as several tube stations. The hotel itself is fine; try to request an upgraded room, as there is a significant difference in the décor. While our stayed at Hilton properties have waned over the years, we are only “Gold” HHonors members at the time, however, we were walked over to the special services desk where we were checked in, rather than the front counter. Although we were paying over $200US per night, we were initially not upgraded, which was not really an issue, since we were not paying a rate that would warrant an upgrade, according to the hotel.

Our initial room was a smoking room, which we had not requested; our next room only had one bed, although there were three guests. Our final room, after two changes, was on the concierge floor, thanks to the urging of the bellman to the front desk. This, we were told, allowed access to the lounge with the nicer views of London. The following morning we signed in at the lounge, not being particularly interested in the continental breakfast, and took a seat, admiring the views. A few moments later, the front desk host asked us to leave, since we were upgraded to the concierge floor and had not “paid” for it, talk about embarrassing.

Having access to the lounge was not the highlight of this stay, however, the way it was handled was, as was the initial room changing game when we first arrived. I’ve stayed at other Hiltons in London and would recommend them over this property, which I still hold some resentment against.
Old Jul 31, 2001, 6:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
We gave a pass to the Hyde Park and stayed 3 nights at the Kensington Hilton for 69 GBP per night 2 weeks ago. As gold we were automatically upgraded to Executive Floor and free breakfasts. The rooms on the non-Executive Floors were definitely inferior.

Either way you are close to Notting Hill (some say it is trendy) with much more reasonablly priced restaurants than "downtown" Hiltons.

Bus and tube station is close--only about a 5-10 minute bus ride to Marble Arch. We actually walked back one day from Harrod's across Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens to Notting Hill where we stopped for dinner and continued walking back to the Kensington Hilton. It really isn't that far to all the action.
Old Aug 2, 2001, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I plan to stay 9/17 to 9/19 and am only finding cheap rates at the Islington. I'll probably take it but it sure is a haul to the rest of London. Best rate 73.80 GBP. No brekkie - but hopefully a Gold upgrade to lounge!
Old Sep 6, 2001, 9:26 am

Trip Report - London Hyde Park

I just posted a long trip report and to prevent complete cross posting here is the link. I am happy to answere any questions.

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000009.html

------------------
What do you mean you flew LowCost Airlines just because it was cheaper and a direct flight? What about the MILES?
Old Sep 6, 2001, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Congrats on getting [email protected] to intervene on your breakfast. I tried that at the Waldorf Astoria two weeks ago, but I never heard back from HHonors. It was only an overnight stay, though.
Old Sep 6, 2001, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
It seems in the UK the hotels try to operate with "Either Upgrade OR breakfast" when in fact it is both... Got the exact same response as in you TR from another Hilton in London recently, "since we have upgraded you the breakfast would still be an extra." Phew!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.