Hilton Stockholm Slussen {SWE}

Old Mar 6, 16, 1:49 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Yeah...that is what I meant--some standby thing for free.

BUt the hotel is showing as sold out for my stay. Didn't think that that many people visited Stockholm on a Friday night in the winter time. LoL.

Guess I can hope someone cancels their reservation by next weekend so I can get an upgrade.
Room availability really does fluctuate at this hotel. I rebooked yesterday for next weekend at a bargain flash sale rate, now the rate has gone up and a lot of room categories aren't showing. There is availability for Fri-Sun but not Fri-Sat.

Sat night Sweden is picking their Eurovision entry in Stockholm Friends Arena, maybe they are restricting one night stays?
Old Mar 6, 16, 5:15 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Originally Posted by chistery View Post
Room availability really does fluctuate at this hotel. I rebooked yesterday for next weekend at a bargain flash sale rate, now the rate has gone up and a lot of room categories aren't showing. There is availability for Fri-Sun but not Fri-Sat.

Sat night Sweden is picking their Eurovision entry in Stockholm Friends Arena, maybe they are restricting one night stays?
I noticed that, too!

I am only staying Friday night, which shows as "sold out" if I try to make a new res.

However, if I try to book Thur-Sat there are rooms AND suites available!

I have never seen that. But I am new to Hilton as I normally stay 100 nights per year win IHG.

Guess I can hope I get an upgrade upon arrival. 😏
Old Jul 1, 16, 6:05 pm

Stayed for a night a few weeks ago just after the marathon. Some quick notes:

Rate Paid: $168 all-in for the lowest standard room
Loyalty Status: Hilton Diamond, status matched from IHG Platinum

The Good: Upgraded to a Deluxe Twin room with view from lowest standard room, as the executive floor was allegedly full. Rates seem to be a bit lower on average than hotels in the city center. Recently refreshed facilities, clean and modern furnishings (esp. in the “Deluxe” rooms). Good views if you’re staying in a room next to the river.

The Bad: Apparently late check-out is only available until 2pm, even for Diamond guests. Service skews towards a somewhat apathetic, DIY-mentality, though this might just be a part of Swedish culture. Executive lounge can get crowded at peak hours, with limited hot food options. Noise from nearby railway and freeway may be bothersome for guests staying on lower floors.

In case you're curious, I wrote a full review with photos here.
Old Jul 2, 16, 12:14 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton
Originally Posted by SansSerif View Post

Loyalty Status: Hilton Diamond, status matched from IHG Platinum

the executive floor was allegedly full

late check-out is only available until 2pm

Executive lounge can get crowded at peak hours
Do the math ...
Old Jul 2, 16, 10:53 am

The Deluxe twin rooms are larger than the king exec rooms, but apart from that they look very similar, just have to take two lifts to get to the exec lounge.
Old Jul 2, 16, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
One of my favourite things is that Akkurat is just around the corner!
Old Aug 13, 16, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by sbams View Post
What do you mean by "Hilton.com gave you a one level upgrade?" I suppose you mean the e-standby options. Even that potential upgrade is only "if available at check-in". Don't hold your breath for an upgrade to a suite at this property, they are very rare.

Enjoy your stay, it's a nice hotel (even if the rooms are very small) and Stockholm is a lovely city.
This procedure is standard for all Hilton properties. The standard upgrade as a Diamond in this hotel is to an Executive Room facing the sea, entrance building floor 2-4. The EL is on the 4th floor. There are very few suites in this hotel, and the rooms are comparably smaller than other Hiltons. May be due to originally built as a Scandic Crown, but rebranded before opening, Scandic beeing part of the Hilton family then.

The location is great, metro (T-bana) a stone's throw away, walking distance to the Old Town (Gamla Stan), close to the ferry to the fair ground (Groena Lund) and the Vasa Museum
Old Aug 13, 16, 3:34 pm

If you want a larger room, go for the deluxe room. They look almost the same except they are larger. You do have to take two lifts to reach the EL though.
Old Aug 22, 16, 4:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy gold. hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX, Citi
First, this is the only room I've ever had where I could use the toilet, take a shower and brush my teeth in the sink at the same time.

Booked King Executive as Diamond. No upgrade received (hotel full), and Hilton room preferences ignored.

Room is so poorly designed (yes, I know it's Sweden), you have to run a gauntlet to try and open the closet and walk in the bathroom at the same time. And it's not even a proper closet. It's a dorm room closet. They junk up a small space with a large beanbag type ottoman that serves no purpose.

Welcome gift a packet of chocolate covered pumpkin snacks and a free drink coupon. Asked for still instead of sparking water and the response I got was, "We don't drink bottled water in Sweden. The water from the sink is ok" Yes, it's also ok at my home but I still drink bottled water. Also, every tourist shop in Old Town has bottled still.

TV had channels missing (like every English news channel), so I called down and asked if it was just me or the entire hotel and could they check a house TV or another room. They said they would send up maintenance and couldn't check another TV in the entire hotel. 90 minutes later no one showed. So I called again and they sent up... the bellman. Then they went to check another TV in the hotel. It was out everywhere and never got fixed. So three days without CNN, BBC News, etc.

In-room wifi went out and I told them it needed to be reset. They refused to help and sent me to their third party tech support where after a 30 minute call concluded... I needed to call the front desk to have the system reset. It went out again later in the stay.

EL evening hot offerings (I did not try breakfast) terrible. Cold options were better. Lounge packed beyond capacity with beer and spirits running out constantly. No room number check when it's packed so if you can get to level 4, go on in.

EL staff however was outstanding and trying their best with a ratio of probably 25 guests to each host.

All-in-all this is a mediocre hotel. You can tell as such by looking at all the frustrated guests complaining at the front desk.

Score: 6/10
Old Aug 22, 16, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
Asked for still instead of sparking water and the response I got was, "We don't drink bottled water in Sweden. The water from the sink is ok" Yes, it's also ok at my home but I still drink bottled water.
Just curious, did you try the tap water? I drink a lot of water, perhaps 5-6 liters per day, every day - tap at home (in Denmark), bottled when I'm out and about, either filtered tap water or bottled at my home in the U.S., bottled if I'm uncertain of the source.

The tap water at the Hilton Stockholm Slussen was the best tasting water I've ever had anywhere, tap or bottled. I still talk about that water! Icy cold from the tap (I was there in February) and great taste. No bottled water has ever come close to the taste of it.

Perhaps you found the response from the hotel rep inappropriate, but I can totally understand why the hotel would not stock bottled still water.
Old Aug 22, 16, 7:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy gold. hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX, Citi
I'm happy to drink tap water and I'm sure it's safe, however, I wanted something portable and did not want to empty a glass bottle of sparkling as I hate waste, to fill with tap and take a heavy bottle around town. A decent hotel should have the option even if it's not local custom.

I don't carry a refillable bottle for space travel considerations and always appreciate a hotel where you can recycle the plastic ones.
Old Oct 6, 16, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
All-in-all this is a mediocre hotel. You can tell as such by looking at all the frustrated guests complaining at the front desk.
I'm having a meh stay at this property.

Things got off to a flying start when they checked me in to a room that another guest was already in, as I found when I unlocked the door and found him making his bed. He seemed surprised, but not quite as surprised as I was, given he was naked ...

Oh, and no free drink chit, bottled water in my room has prominent price tags on it(!), no welcome gift/snack, missed the lounge evening F+B by 30 mins due to meeting running late, breakfast starts from 0630 but I need to leave at 0600 to get back to ARN. Front desk didn't exactly seem that bothered by the naked-guy-in-"my"-room thing either. Maybe that's seen as an upgrade in Scandinavia?

Q: Any FTers complained about a mediocre stay here, and if so, to whom, by what channel, and what response if any did the hotel offer?

Last edited by shorthauldad; Oct 6, 16 at 1:58 pm
Old Oct 6, 16, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post

Things got off to a flying start when they checked me in to a room that another guest was already in, as I found when I unlocked the door and found him making his bed. He seemed surprised, but not quite as surprised as I was, given he was naked ...

Oh, and no free drink chit, bottled water in my room has prominent price tags on it(!), no welcome gift/snack, missed the lounge evening F+B by 30 mins due to meeting running late, breakfast starts from 0630 but I need to leave at 0600 to get back to ARN. Front desk didn't exactly seem that bothered by the naked-guy-in-"my"-room thing either. Maybe that's seen as an upgrade in Scandinavia?

Q: Any FTers complained about a mediocre stay here, and if so, to whom, by what channel, and what response if any did the hotel offer?
I don't know if you'll see this before leaving the property, but for what it is worth, I had 2 stays where I had to leave before breakfast started. In both cases they gave me a "breakfast bag" to go, which I appreciated. Might be worth asking for at the front desk.
Old Oct 6, 16, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post

I got the hilton survey and filled it out. I received a response from the property asking to describe why I rated it so low. So I went in detail about their problems.

I never heard from them again.

I think that tells you how they operate. Poorly.
Old Oct 7, 16, 2:55 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
I had a stay there a few weeks ago which I found Meh also, specially regarding status recognition. I did not give feedback though. What I found annoying was the layout of the hotel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: