Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Waikiki was the first ES I ever stayed at. based on my experience, I've stayed this year in Chicago and Austin. Both fine, neither even close - food in particular a far cry from Hawaii. Austin in particular required you to order not just your eggs but also pancakes, french toast, meats, and potatoes - and only one cook station. With those rules the lines were terribly long most of the time, meaning I skipped the lines and ate a glorified continental breakfast. not having 2 cook lines and not having most of those items pre-cooked to offer without having to wait is a mistake. Maybe I should put this in the Austin review thread.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:50 am

Programs: HHonors, A'Club, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club, Hyatt, UA mileage Plus, Miles & More, AAdvantage
Thumbs down Unimpressive stay

Stayed two days at the ES at the end of october ago during my honeymoon trip; it was my first stay at an Embassy Suites (and considered my experience probably also the last). Absolutely an unimpressive stay. Received one of the worst room of the entire hotel: the 530. I noted in the reservation it was an honeymoon trip but no upgrade as a Diamond (maybe the 530 was an upgraded room and in this case I can't imagine what would be a real standard room). Room worn and dusty, just one floor above the pool, quite noisy and facing the pool, so when in the room we had to leave the curtain closed also during the day otherwise the impression was to be in a showcase. Breakfast average and nothing to write home about. Luckyly with two cooking stations only limited waiting in line.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Supersonic Flyer
Stayed two days at the ES at the end of october ago during my honeymoon trip; it was my first stay at an Embassy Suites (and considered my experience probably also the last). Absolutely an unimpressive stay. Received one of the worst room of the entire hotel: the 530. I noted in the reservation it was an honeymoon trip but no upgrade as a Diamond (maybe the 530 was an upgraded room and in this case I can't imagine what would be a real standard room). Room worn and dusty, just one floor above the pool, quite noisy and facing the pool, so when in the room we had to leave the curtain closed also during the day otherwise the impression was to be in a showcase. Breakfast average and nothing to write home about. Luckyly with two cooking stations only limited waiting in line.
Did you let mgmt know of your dissatisfaction while there?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: HHonors, A'Club, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club, Hyatt, UA mileage Plus, Miles & More, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Did you let mgmt know of your dissatisfaction while there?
Honestly no, because nothing was really wrong. I obtained exactly what I have paid for: a one bedroom suite. As a Diamond I had no expectations for an upgrade, evein if I paid 510 $ for my two nights stay. I noted on the reservation it was my honeymoon trip and that an upgrade would really appreciated, but they probably downgraded me to the worst available room.
The room was clean, only a little bit dusty. The pool was dirty but I preferred the beaches so no problem for me. Breakfast totally average, with several birds in the breakfast area landing over the tables annoying the customers.
I cant't consider this a memorable stay. This was my first stay at an ES, but considering this experience I would avoid any other stay at the ES brand in the future.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:21 pm

sometimes it meets expectations but barely and what can you really do except stay elsewhere
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I noted on the reservation it was my honeymoon trip
If you are referring to the comment section when making a booking online at hilton.com I have found that to be hit or miss in terms of who at the hotel reads it, and when. Next time you have such a special event call the property in advance and speak to the sales manager or property manager/assistant manager.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
If you are referring to the comment section when making a booking online at hilton.com I have found that to be hit or miss in terms of who at the hotel reads it, and when. Next time you have such a special event call the property in advance and speak to the sales manager or property manager/assistant manager.
I sent an email two weeks before my stay and I also received a reply from the assistant manager.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Honestly no, because nothing was really wrong. I obtained exactly what I have paid for: a one bedroom suite. As a Diamond I had no expectations for an upgrade, evein if I paid 510 $ for my two nights stay. I noted on the reservation it was my honeymoon trip and that an upgrade would really appreciated, but they probably downgraded me to the worst available room.
The room was clean, only a little bit dusty. The pool was dirty but I preferred the beaches so no problem for me. Breakfast totally average, with several birds in the breakfast area landing over the tables annoying the customers.
I cant't consider this a memorable stay. This was my first stay at an ES, but considering this experience I would avoid any other stay at the ES brand in the future.
Well, ES is one brand at Hilton that can sometimes be inconsistent. I really think the ES is targeted towards the family traveler with loads of kids, thus the suite and free breakfast. To be honest, I thought my stay at this ES was great, but perhaps because I've stayed at lots of ES's and had expectations of nothing being fancy, and an "UG" not really being anything.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but I think it's more common than you may think at ES.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: Krisflyer Solitaire, Miles & More Senator, Hilton Honors Diamond
expectations

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Well, ES is one brand at Hilton that can sometimes be inconsistent. I really think the ES is targeted towards the family traveler with loads of kids, thus the suite and free breakfast. To be honest, I thought my stay at this ES was great, but perhaps because I've stayed at lots of ES's and had expectations of nothing being fancy, and an "UG" not really being anything.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but I think it's more common than you may think at ES.
I agree that this property is ideal for larger groups - my kids had a great time as they loved the space and proximity to the beach / restaurants / shops etc. But they thought that the breakfast was too cafeteria like and not of especially good quality. They enjoyed the evening performances whilst the adults queued for the cocktails and drinks but thought that the pool was far too small (but who cares when you have the sea?). But would we return? Probably not as it lacked the warmth which can substitute for but not replace the lack of "fanciness"
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by occasionally flying professor
I agree that this property is ideal for larger groups - my kids had a great time as they loved the space and proximity to the beach / restaurants / shops etc. But they thought that the breakfast was too cafeteria like and not of especially good quality. They enjoyed the evening performances whilst the adults queued for the cocktails and drinks but thought that the pool was far too small (but who cares when you have the sea?). But would we return? Probably not as it lacked the warmth which can substitute for but not replace the lack of "fanciness"
My sister and I enjoyed the breakfast (we did eat early though before the mobs arrived) and also the evening performances. I guess in light of other options using points (didn't want to stay at the Hiltons) and no PC properties when we were there, we were happy with our stay.

The only problem we had was getting ripped off on parking, but found the post office across the street helped us greatly.

All in all, for 5 days in Hawaii we collectively spent less then $100 USD. Not bad!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
I stayed at the E/S Waikiki last month and my family & I really enjoyed our stay here. We liked the local favorites at breakfast like Lomi Salmon, Papaya, fried rice, portuguese sausage & miso soup. You won't/can't get these type of items at other E/S. I only found breakfast to be crowded on Sunday (my checkout day), otherwise the lines were not bad.

The pool is small there but wasn't crowded. I used the gym & business center and the times I was there they were both practically empty.

Parking is $25 per day but you will pay those type of rates at other Hiltons on Oahu as well. I liked that you could call valet parking and have them bring your car down. The HHV would not let me call on my last stay there.

My rooms were kept spotless by the housekeeping staff. I believe my rooms were upgraded since we had an "ocean" view.

I thought this was a very good use of my HH points with the AXON reward.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I am going to this property next week... Any recent reviews? As a Diamond, what can I expect with regard to suites? I realize that there is probably no upgrade, but wondered what I might request.... I will be there on points for 7 nights....
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I am going to this property next week... Any recent reviews? As a Diamond, what can I expect with regard to suites? I realize that there is probably no upgrade, but wondered what I might request.... I will be there on points for 7 nights....
at best a partial view of the ocean but with Trump now in the way alot less rooms will afford that. It really wasnt anything to speak of and a good thing I didnt pay anything for it, if a full ocean view is what you want then you will have to gamble by staying at the HHV, but the ES is so much nicer IMHO
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by craz
at best a partial view of the ocean but with Trump now in the way alot less rooms will afford that. It really wasnt anything to speak of and a good thing I didnt pay anything for it, if a full ocean view is what you want then you will have to gamble by staying at the HHV, but the ES is so much nicer IMHO
From all that I have read, ES seems the better bet. Just curious if being proactive and knowing what to request would give me a slightly better experience...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
From all that I have read, ES seems the better bet. Just curious if being proactive and knowing what to request would give me a slightly better experience...
basically there are 2 Towers (wings) I was in the 1 closest the Ocean with a room facing towards the HHV. On 1 side was Trump and directly in front was an Outrigger which sits on the beach, could be maybe the top floor or 2 might afford a better view but just barely as Trump will still block most everything facing the HHV and unknown is if the ES is taller then the Out. In the other direction is a Wydham TS

Narrow blocks on either side so no real views to speak of I believe from any room. At the end of the block on the main drag is a tall building so that should kill a view from that side pretty much

so if aview from your room is important then this Hotel wont do the trick, other than that since its an ES all the rooms are suites

I didnt request anything I guess they gave me what they called an ocean view due to being a Diamond

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.