New York Hilton Midtown {US-NY}

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 27, 17, 8:17 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Canarsie
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 3, 00, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Arrow New York Hilton Midtown {US-NY}

Currently staying in the Hilton New York on the Avenue of Americas between 52 or 54 I am not sure. Has anyone here stayed here before? The room rate is just outrageous here...
Also, it's the fanciest hotel that my company has put me in this year.

Al
Old Dec 4, 00, 8:07 am

I've stayed at the New York Hilton several times. I am HH Gold, and have been impressed with the level of service, esp. at the Exec Lounge on the top floor.

Overpriced? Yup. Priced higer than expected for New York market? No, especially with it's great location for tourists and business people alike ... close to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, MOMA, Broadway shows, subway station, etc.

Only major complaint: not enough elevators for the many rooms. And one of the 3 elevators to floors 34-44 is consistently out of service.
Old Dec 4, 00, 10:10 am

afang,

Welcome to the New Manhattan! For the past couple of years, getting any hotel room on the island during Oct. through Dec. has become a real challenge, and prices have escalated to match. You may be paying an egregious amount; unfortunately, so are all the other business travelers, recreational travelers, overseas tourists, etc. At least you've got the boss to shoulder the bill.
Old Dec 5, 00, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

What will it take to get a room in the Exe floor? I am HH silver, they have never offered such rooms....

Al
Old Dec 5, 00, 1:15 pm

What will it take to get a room in the Exe floor?
I believe that a sufficient number of dollars will do the trick.
Old Dec 5, 00, 2:13 pm

afang:

As a HH Gold, 1 am batting about .200 on getting an upgraded room @ New York Hilton. And that usually involves a polite request at check-in.

As a HH Silver, I believe your chances are somewhere between slim and none.

Frankly, I am happy simply with access to the Exec Lounge for a quick, fruity breakfast and speedy check-out.

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.
Old Dec 5, 00, 10:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titan, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
I am HH Gold & was making a reservation at the NY Hilton for next spring. The lowest rate they would quote for a standard room was $295; for the exec floor, the rate was $300. For only $5 more, I booked the exec floor rather than risk not getting the upgrade.

Of course, I'll check the rates periodically 'cause I gotta believe they'll come down twixt now and then.
Old Dec 5, 00, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titan, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
Sorry. Duplicate post

[This message has been edited by Westcoaster (edited 12-05-2000).]
Old Dec 5, 00, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Platinum-Bonvoyage, Hilton Diamond
Originally posted by afang:
What will it take to get a room in the Exe floor? I am HH silver, they have never offered such rooms....

Al
I have stayed at this Hilton quite a bit during the last few months and prices have escalated considerably of late, especially on short notice. However, they are typically less busy on weekends (including Friday nights) so rates often drop considerably, even on the executive floor. I stayed there as a HH silver about six weeks ago and was upgraded to a concierge level suite for about $199.
Old Dec 6, 00, 6:43 pm

Nothing particularly to do with your post, but I was tickled that you called the street by it's official name: Avenue of the Americas. TO most New Yorkers, it just 6th Avenue.

They might not even know where the heck Avenue of the Americas is!

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!
Old Dec 6, 00, 10:24 pm
In Memoriam

I've stayed there a few times, and agree that the location is pretty good for tourism (for business it depends where your business meeting is).

My best was when I booked 10 days in June '94 using UA 50% off coupons, or $100 per night. This was for Gay Games, and I knew the city would be full, so I booked eleven months in advance. In addition, some of the World Cup matches were taking place the same week there, and Hilton was the host hotel for a couple of the foreign delegations.

I'm sure they were kicking themselves for giving away a room so cheaply that week!
Old Jan 16, 01, 2:47 pm

Upgrades at NY Hilton and Towers

I'm HHonors Gold and was wondering how easy it is to get an upgrade at the New York Hilton.....

We are there on an internal conference (probably booked half the hotel out) but I don't think a huge number of my colleagues are Gold.....

what's the best approach (difficult thing is it's a block booking so they may not have my name yet.....)
Old Jan 16, 01, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
At the NY Hilton and Towers, you generally don't want an upgrade. The worst floors to be on are the executive ones, because there aren't nearly enough elevators to take you up there. At peak times, you can wait over 5 minutes to get an elevator either way.

I'm Diamond, and they usually upgrade me to one of the Exec floors, and I always ask them to move me down to teh 15th floor or lower.

I hate to say this, but this is one of the few Hiltons that I try and avoid...
Old Jan 16, 01, 2:59 pm

oh dear.....

are the rooms any bigger on the Executive floors? Unfortunately as it's a conference and we're flying hundreds of people from Europe we're sharing rooms (grrr)

Also - do i need to be on an executive floor to access the executive lounge (if it exists!) and can I take a colleague (or ten !!)

I take it from your post there are no benefits whatsoever from gaining an upgrade!
Old Jan 16, 01, 5:53 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd prefer the Exec floor and also catching the elevator at the top floor(s) before it fills up on the way down during the "rush hours!"

The Exec Lounge is nice enough and the hotel has been successfully remodeled, in my view!

Enjoy your stay!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: