Old May 11, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Print Wikipost

New York Hilton Midtown {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 2:50 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
As far as I know all rooms on the top (executive) floors are suites. (One bedroom, one living room). These suites are very nice and comfortable and the lounge is indeed excellent as they have an extensive selection of snacks and appetizers as well as drinks/cookies available all day. I would go for the Exec level suite rather than having two rooms on the Gold/Diamond Floor (35&36). I would make sure there is availability though, last time I stayed there a convention came in and I had to downgrade for the last two days. Also make sure to check in directly at the 44th floor.

------------------
KLM PE,HHonors Diamond,SPG Plat,PC Plat,SAS Silver
Old Aug 5, 2003, 4:27 pm

not all rooms on exec floor are suites. Most are just rooms. You will have use of the exec lounge wherever you are in the hotel - so go for accomodations and not floor.

Talk directly with the 44th floor. Do not hesitate to ask to see the rooms first - usually they are very accomodating and will give you a few room keys to choose from.

Since you are booking two rooms, and are diamond - the chances are excellent that you will get just what you asked for. Over a holiday weekend however - they may be quite full - but that will be with leisure travelers not business travelers.

Nonetheless - that is a long way out. I would make my request via email and fax now - and contact someone on the 44th floor.
WHen you get to three months out - do the same thing again - and then one month out - and then then week of - they can see the inventory available then.

IMHO - award stay or not, they treat diamonds EXCELLENTLY and bend over backwards to accomodate. At the very least - you will have two very nice room on the 39-44th floor - with a superb lounge to visit. (this is the largest and best lounge i have seen - although liqour is not complimentary.)
Old Aug 5, 2003, 8:14 pm

smahk:

Again, thanks for the useful info. I will print this out, and note on my calendar whem to make contact. This is my mother-in-laws first trip to New York and first cruise. Even using points for the hotel and free air, this trip will cost more than she lives on in a year; therefore, I want it to be memorable.

A last question: last year we stayed at Waldorf. If NY Hilton in a better location for touristing (mother-in-law is 72 and not the fastest walker)?

again, thanks,
marc
Old Aug 5, 2003, 8:36 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

You might want to check if there are any big conventions in town - I do know that the APA (psychiatrists) will be in town for 5/9-14, which is very early for the meeting which leads me to think there is something else going on later in the month.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 8:01 pm

Just stayed here 9/12-9/14/03. Checked in on 44th floor, got a nice but small room looking directly at Central Park, six blocks north. Nice staff, though didn't interface with them much. Ideal location in midtown.

Hi speed internet was free on Exec level (44th floor) and so was cont'l bkfst in exec lounge. Evening soft drinks & snacks are free, but they charge for alcohol.

It took all of about 20 minutes (6 stops, I think)to get to Yankee Stadium (161st) on the D train from the 50th st. station. The B train also goes to the bronx, but not on the weekends, and stops at each stop. Great street food vendors all over the area, had a terrific gyro w/ all the goodies for $3. Close enough to Times Square to be convenient for theatre (walking), but away from the crowds and madness. All in all, I thought it was the ideal location.

Had great steaks at Angelo & Maxies a couple blocks from the hotel; 1/2 dozen littlenecks, 2 great 14oz. sirloins, veggies & 2 glasses of decent wine (complete din-din for 2) for less than a hundy including 20% tip...which I thought was pretty great for midtown.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ES:
The elevators took forever to get to the 24th floor (the top floor of that particular elevator bank) and stopped on many floors on the way down.</font>
Why didn't you use the other bank (serving 24-34 floors), in that way you will have a non-stop ride floors 2 to 24!

I love changing elevator banks at this hotel. Once I was placed on the 24th floor (for no reason except all other floors are sold out). It took 2 elevator transfers (once on 24th floor, once on 34th floor) to get to the 44th floor exec lounge for breakfast, tea and evening cocktails.

Other than that, this Hilton property is HUGE, and always seem to be lines everywhere. Exec lounge on the weekend gets very crowded. Location aside, I prefer the Millenium Hilton.

Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:56 pm

35th floor at New York Hilton?

I was able to book 2 redemption rooms at the NY Hilton and called directly to request connecting rooms. I asked to talk to the concierge desk on the 44th fl and they were able to block connecting rooms on the 35th floor. I know it's the gold/diamond floor, but I am wondering what is the actual difference between this and other floors. I have searched until cross-eyed and am apparently too dense to figure it out! Can anyone who has stayed there answer this?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I believe that would be the "Executive Level" which gives you access to the executive level lounge with complimentary breakfast, evening snacks, beautiful views, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 6:47 pm

35th is nice.....
39-44 is nicer.
Both have access to lounge on 44
Since it is redemption and you needed two rooms - you got a great deal. Be happy.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:03 am

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
35-36 are Gold/Diamond Level. Above that is Exec level. IMO it is worth it to not get connecting rooms and stay at the upper levels (40+)in one of the lovely suites if available.

------------------
KLM PE,HHonors Diamond,SPG Plat,PC Plat,SAS Silver
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:06 pm

Screwed by Hilton New York - what to do?

Hi there

After having wonderful Hilton experiences at the LA Universal City Hilton, the SFO Burlingame and the HWV, Hilton NY really made me mad today.

I had called the local res. office to ask them which rate to book as a gold in order to get the best upgrade etc. The had explicitely recommended the exec. floor rate since it was only 20 or 30 dollars more, but would allow me to use the gold upgrade for a suite. So I got it.

Got to the hotel, went up to the exec floor, only to be rudely asked what I was doing up there, and who sent me up. (I am only 23 and look younger). When I told him I was #1 Gold and #2 had booked the exec floor he quieted down. When I asked about upgrades he said there where no suites available, so nothing they could do. OK - tough luck. That can happen, of course. So I asked them to change the rate back to the lower rate for a regular room, since the Gold would have given me the upgrade to what I have now anyway. He said no to that. So I asked about a free full breakfast downstairs. He said no to that too. I then called the hotel customer service line. Got a snotty supervisor telling me no dice you got what you paid for. The rates now are even higher blabla no refund.

What should I do? This is my first ever bad experience with Hilton, and after 25 stays this year I am shocked by the snottiness of this hotel. I don't think my requests where that unreasonable.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:25 pm

I dont know if they were snotty, but they are right, you got what you paid for.
It wouild be quaint if every Gold or Diamond first book a exec. floor room to hope for an upgrade to a suite and then downgrade to a to standard room and wants to be upgraded to exec. floor.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:42 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
You could always cancel the room (but no refund after 6PM) Book new room. no problem!
Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. The New York Hilton is just too big.
You might try a letter to the manager, if you got a welcome letter when you checked into your room. Good luck.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:31 pm

Sure, I got what I paid for, and upgrades are only based on availiblity. It's just that I am used to very good service from Hilton. And this was disappointing.

I guess my point is that it wouldn't have taken a lot to make me feel like it was still worth paying the extra, even though I didn't get the suite upgrade they had put into perspective.

I got no welcome letter, or fruit basket. There is no Minibar pricelist. Internet is terribly slow too.

I guess it's just the general attitude of this place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.