Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Watford {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
It's very close to Costco, if that swings anyone's decision.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by gnarly
It's very close to Costco, if that swings anyone's decision.
^

Now if you could tie that into an Amex card blitz and Tesco points run afterwards....
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
I'm here tonight guys, booked double guest room no preupgrade yet , however I've done OLCI to hopefully secure a quiet room top floor / end corridor as I'm arriving late and need a good nights sleep......will try and do a live review but probably not gonna be there long.
I'm also at Hilton Paddington Saturday night where I will report as usual.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:23 pm

Arrived 9-45 pm, had to wait in car for a while as there was a crazy thunderstorm ( very unusual in England in march! - would you agree botb? )....... swift check in by miserable front desk, no upgrade, no recognition. Hardly smiled......car park huge and free by the way.........room is on third floor at the back, did do olci but didn't factor in the busy M1 a stones throw away......room very hot , Windows open, traffic noise.
Hotel is huge, just went down to gym to fill water bottle up, impressive gym! And very clean.
Room is ok, bed very soft ( I prefer firm ) , fairly big room , , clean but a little tired.....I'm gonna have a bath , read of the newspaper and retire.....will report back in the morning.

Last edited by wizla; Mar 6, 2017 at 2:08 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:41 pm

......... I slept fairly well, bed soft and a little out of shape ......bathroom small but quite a large bathtub, water pressure is good, bath filled in two mins!, looking forward to the shower this morning!.
I'm gonna pop down and see if I can grab a coffee whilst my lady sleeps in, then shower and breakfast........will report back!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:41 am

........shower not as powerful as bath, disappointing however not bad......breakfast was very good albeit busy, usual hilton affair and hot plates!.......also a toaster that you don't have to put your bread through two or three times!......perfectly done in one go!.
Check out very fast, free parking but code given for barrier, However it was open anyway.

CONCLUSION- old , tired and a little musty, in fact the hotel smells like cheap aftershave your dad would wear in the 70s, however it was clean and quiet ( with the windows closed ) whilst the bed was soft I slept well with no back ache as I much prefer firm beds, I would say don't stay here for a luxury stay or break but to break a journey it's cheap and cheerful ( except the moody receptionist last night )

ROOM NO - 368

NEXT STAY - Hilton Paddington ( tonight)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:22 pm

Stayed here for just the one night in early February.

I arrived by car and was immediately annoyed to see the one way drop down metal plates across the entrance. I've not seen these in more than a decade and in my opinion they are just lying in wait to do damage. Parking however is free and an exit barrier code is available from reception upon departure.

Check in was quick with no queue at the desk and the staff were polite, friendly and helpful.

The corridors are pretty dated, King Deluxe room was an unusual but novel layout, clean, tidy and well maintained. It was furnished to the usual high modern Hilton standard and the bathroom contained both a bath and separate cubicle shower which was nice.

Lots of power sockets including at the desk and both sides of the bed some of which feature usb sockets and one double pin foreign socket (couldn't confirm if it's the American two pin or the European two pin).

There was no tassimo/nespresso or similar machine, just the standard kettle and an empty fridge rather than a mini bar (a big plus in my opinion). The extra pillows that I requested through the app were waiting for me.

The air conditioning however was a little on the noisy side regardless of fan speed and only offered a choice of 21 or 22 degrees celsius, which I assume was broken.

There is no exec lounge and I didn't use the bar or restaurant in the evening.

Breakfast in the restaurant was the usual Hilton affair and I couldn't fault it at all, the service was very attentive and the food very good.

Enjoyed this stay, excellent sleep, the building is really quite dated but the room is actually in my top three so far this year and the staff were great without exception. This is very much one for the business travellers though.

4/5

Last edited by TheVengefulTraveller; Feb 20, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
I've just spent a night at this hotel as it was £39/night for a Twin Room and it's the 8th of 8 stays needed for the Diamond Status Match, the other 7 being work trips.

I'd say @TheVengefulTraveller was lucky to have a more modern room with air conditioning - this is very much the exception rather than the rule.
@BotB - this review is excellent and nothing has changed since then.

Note, there is no longer a swimming pool but the gym is good by hotel standards, and air conditioning is unlikely. M1 traffic noise is an issue when the window is open, and a desk fan can be found in the wardrobe.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by DocWatson
I've just spent a night at this hotel as it was £39/night for a Twin Room and it's the 8th of 8 stays needed for the Diamond Status Match, the other 7 being work trips.

I'd say @TheVengefulTraveller was lucky to have a more modern room with air conditioning - this is very much the exception rather than the rule.
@BotB - this review is excellent and nothing has changed since then.

Note, there is no longer a swimming pool but the gym is good by hotel standards, and air conditioning is unlikely. M1 traffic noise is an issue when the window is open, and a desk fan can be found in the wardrobe.
I've only stayed once and seem to remember it was ok (ish)........ all I remember it was march and during a thunderstorm ( unusual for March) ...... I probably done a trip report somewhere.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:45 am

I have a stay booked here for tomorrow ( Wednesday) , this is a day stay as I have some business to deal with in north London so thought it would be handy to base myself here.
Should arrive around 7am , will do live report and take photos as I will hopefully have plenty of time to kill......will report back!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by wizla
I have a stay booked here for tomorrow ( Wednesday) , this is a day stay as I have some business to deal with in north London so thought it would be handy to base myself here.
Should arrive around 7am , will do live report and take photos as I will hopefully have plenty of time to kill......will report back!
Arrived 8am after battling the rush hour traffic, parking free and plenty of spaces, surprised as the hotel was fully booked last night.
No upgrade from entry level room but not fussed only here for breakfast and gym, now taking breakfast it's fairly good, not a huge selection but very tasty and hot!.......chef friendly and omelette station.
Plan today is I have a meeting just down the road, hopefully be done by lunchtime, then pop back to use gym and relax before the drive home.
Right, better go and look at this room......will report back!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Arrived 8am after battling the rush hour traffic, parking free and plenty of spaces, surprised as the hotel was fully booked last night.
No upgrade from entry level room but not fussed only here for breakfast and gym, now taking breakfast it's fairly good, not a huge selection but very tasty and hot!.......chef friendly and omelette station.
Plan today is I have a meeting just down the road, hopefully be done by lunchtime, then pop back to use gym and relax before the drive home.
Right, better go and look at this room......will report back!
......meeting successful and I'm back.....now in bar having a coffee , I don't rate the cappuccino and it's certainly not worth £4 .05 !......lounge bar is fairly spartan , everything seems a little tatty, nothing bad and it's clean but needs a lick of paint and new furniture perhaps., lift is slow and rattles.
I booked a king guest room and received no upgrade but I didn't think I ever have on previous day stays, that said at £28 I certainly can't complain.
ROOM - it's reasonably large on second floor.......there is only three floors here and a lower ground where the bar and restaurant is ....bed looks queen rather than king to me but could be wrong, seemed soft but I only sat in it as I'm not here to sleep, safe is where I imagine the mini bar would have once been, view of car park.
Bathroom small, c &e toiletries , shower over bath ( will try after I use the gym this afternoon)
Tv looks new....no robes or slippers.....two strathmore bottles of water in room .

Now off to gym and then will probably have lunch in Toby carvery next door before I check out.....will report back!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:15 am

......... gym here is very good, was just myself at first but a few came in during my workout ( will upload photos later) .
Now off for lunch at the Toby carvery next door, then will check out, will conclude tonight with photos.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:47 am

I can recommend the Toby carvery next door, I had the standard carvery @ £7-95 , very reasonable for a very tasty roast dinner.
Checked out at 2-15 by not the most happiest of FD staff, didn't even ask how my stay was...... car park is barrier controlled and barrier code is on a white board by reception, it's currently 3589 but I guess this changes from time to time

CONCLUSION- it's a little tired to be honest but it's clean , reminds me of the now defunct Hilton stansted or even Hilton Milton Keynes, it's that type of style but everything worked and the gym was top notch!.
I found the cuppachinno from the bar pretty poor but I am fussy about coffee.
I would return if needed and probably will one day.....I will upload some photos when I get time.

ROOM NO - 215

NEXT STAY - Hilton tower bridge/ Hilton park lane ( 16-11-18 ). I've not decided which one yet.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:22 pm

PHOTOS- ( room, lobby and gym )

ROOM 215
Attached Images     

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.