Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Toronto {CAN}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:46 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
My experiences have always been that if it is a Hilton International property (which I believe Toronto is) then the lounge provides an open bar. Most props in the US are Hilton US properties and not Hilton International.

I was recently at the Seattle Hilton (downtown) and was surprised to see an open bar there too (although a smaller selection). I have to assume it is a Hilton International prop but am not 100% sure.

Hilton US bought back Hilton International this spring I believe and when that is all completed I would suspect that the days of open bars in some props will go away.

My 2-cents.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:21 am

Programs: AC, UA, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
My experiences have always been that if it is a Hilton International property (which I believe Toronto is) then the lounge provides an open bar. Most props in the US are Hilton US properties and not Hilton International.
The exec lounge at the Hilton Vancouver Metrotown doesn't have free drinks, so it's not a "Canadian Thing"
Old Oct 1, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
I have just spent a wonderful weekend at the Hilton Toronto.
As Gold was upgarded to the executive floor and got access to the lounge on the 32nd floor. The lounge was quite impressive- very well redecorated, excellent choice of appetizers and drinks at night and very substantial breakfast - all self service. They also have an incredible indoor/outdoor pool.
The hotel is not the cheapest but considering the above, it is an excellent value. The staff is very friendly and polite, the property seems to be very well managed. Thanks! ^
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:56 am

Hilton Toronto Concierge

I recently stayed at the Hilton Toronto and Richmond Street and have a funny experience to share. It was a Sunday morning around 10AM and I wanted to find out where to get some good Dim Sum in Toronto. Thinking that the concierge would be able to assist me, I went downstairs to ask him. He gave me a somewhat puzzled look and stated that he "Did not know where to get Dim Sum in Toronto...maybe Chinatown" Hmm I thought this one is a gem, a real bright one. I then politely stated that I would assume that but which dining establishment would have the best Dim Sum experience. He then gave a list of 20 places. This of course was of no use to me since it was simply a list of Chinese restaurants. I told him that this list, although comprehensive did not address my question. He then said "Well there is a Sheraton across the street" I looked at him very puzzled and asked "DO they have Dim Sum there?" He said "No but they have a conceiriege there" I still had a puzzled look on face..a look that was more of shock than anything else...He noticed my look and said "See the Sheraton is right over there (pointing to the building)" I was in such bewilderment, I walked over to the Sheraton anyways, got the information I needed and was asked by the concierge there if I was enjoying my stay at the Sheraton, I asked "Actually I am not staying here , I am at the Hilton" With a look of confusion she asked me if the Hilton concierge was unavailable. I told her the whole story and was amazed. I did get some great Dim Sum and of course complained to the manager at the Hilton. Nevertheless, it’s a funny story

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 9, 2006 at 8:43 pm Reason: This milepost (and the following six mileposts) were merged into this thread unedited.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by KelleyMBA04
I recently stayed at the Hilton Toronto and Richmond Street and have a funny experience to share. It was a Sunday morning around 10AM and I wanted to find out where to get some good Dim Sum in Toronto. Thinking that the concierge would be able to assist me, I went downstairs to ask him. He gave me a somewhat puzzled look and stated that he "Did not know where to get Dim Sum in Toronto...maybe Chinatown" Hmm I thought this one is a gem, a real bright one. I then politely stated that I would assume that but which dining establishment would have the best Dim Sum experience. He then gave a list of 20 places. This of course was of no use to me since it was simply a list of Chinese restaurants. I told him that this list, although comprehensive did not address my question. He then said "Well there is a Sheraton across the street" I looked at him very puzzled and asked "DO they have Dim Sum there?" He said "No but they have a conceiriege there" I still had a puzzled look on face..a look that was more of shock than anything else...He noticed my look and said "See the Sheraton is right over there (pointing to the building)" I was in such bewilderment, I walked over to the Sheraton anyways, got the information I needed and was asked by the concierge there if I was enjoying my stay at the Sheraton, I asked "Actually I am not staying here , I am at the Hilton" With a look of confusion she asked me if the Hilton concierge was unavailable. I told her the whole story and was amazed. I did get some great Dim Sum and of course complained to the manager at the Hilton. Nevertheless, it’s a funny story

That just down right ignorant!

What did the manager of the Hilton say?? I'd like to know.

Although I'm generalizing, I believe bad staff is a direct effect and a reflection of bad management! Based on what you wrote, the Hilton "concierge" must have been a straight up "AirHead"!

I would also send this to the Diamond Desk/Hilton Flyertalk.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:19 pm

Besides this,how was your stay? I'm thinking of staying there next month.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jabez
Besides this,how was your stay? I'm thinking of staying there next month.
Oh It was a very nice stay. I go there about 2x per year and that's the hotel I usually stay at. I have never had a complaint about this particular property. I was just surprised about this recent experience.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
There have been a few posts about the Hilton Toronto. It is great, imo.

About the H Toronoto concierge, all I have to say is, Oh My Word!
That while sad, was too funny!

I think I might have pushed it and asked, "Um, I am standing in front of the Concierge desk, you are the concierge correct?"

I have had a similar experience at a non-Hilton property and ended up asking the "concierge" to get another concierge for their advice/opinion as said first "concierge" was probably a bellhop impersonating the concierge.
Although I have spoken with more knowledgable bellhops then this one concierge.

Let us know if you get a response from mngmnt.

FYI, the Toronto Executive Lounge staff is very knowledgable and friendly, if you have access, I am sure they would know where to get good Dim Sum.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

That just down right ignorant!

What did the manager of the Hilton say?? I'd like to know.

Although I'm generalizing, I believe bad staff is a direct effect and a reflection of bad management! Based on what you wrote, the Hilton "concierge" must have been a straight up "AirHead"!

I would also send this to the Diamond Desk/Hilton Flyertalk.
Oh the general we are sorry stuff. He was seemed rather shocked as well.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KelleyMBA04
Oh It was a very nice stay. I go there about 2x per year and that's the hotel I usually stay at. I have never had a complaint about this particular property. I was just surprised about this recent experience.
Oh and welcome to FT KelleyMBA04!
Thanks for the funny story.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:48 am

Thumbs up

I'm typing this from the lounge.
This may be my favorite North American hilton property. I was given a king room on the 29th floor. They were sold out so a room on the executive floor (32nd) wasn't going to happen. It was a very attractive room. It had a very European feel to it. The bathroom was small, but very nice.
The lounge has coffee, sodas,etc. until 4pm each day. Each morning there's a "Euoropean style" breakfast (meats,cheeses,fruit,breads,pastries,etc.).
At 4pm they bring out wine,beers and liquor. At 5 they bring out food.
The evening food,easily,is better than the Cavalieri (my favorite lounge).
They don't bring out lots of desserts late,but they do refill their cookie jar.
The location is accross from the Opera House and a block from the huge Hudson Bay Co. store.
The exercise room is too small for a hotel this size,but does have an indoor track.
Their room service was quite good and not too pricey.
Overall, it beats the Conrads that I've stayed at in the US and will see me returning.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:06 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
For those that may find it useful, I've posted a trip report here: Hilton Toronto Review

FWIW, it was an outstanding stay and those people on 32 really know how to treat a customer.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:44 pm
ODA

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat
2 thumbs up

I stay here every week for business and from what I can tell, if you are upgraded to the executive floor, all the rooms have fogless mirrors in the bathrooms as well as nicer bathroom products. The "regular" rooms still use the crabtree and evelyn products unless you are in a suite. Also, no fogless mirrors, which explains the one of the previous poster's experiences. The lounge is as everyone has described...probably one of the best I've experienced in North America. They have a large selection of beers as mentioned, but also a varied selection of premium liquors and mixers.

As a Diamond, I'm always upgraded to the executive floor (free internet and local calls), but I have seen people get upgraded to the 32nd floor which has all the large, specialty suites. From what I can tell, if the hotel is sold out and you check in late enough, the clerks are inclined to upgrade you to these rooms.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an aside, I wouldn't know who or what Dim Sum is if he/it was standing in front of me.

I drink water out of the tap, too.

When in Canada, what you're looking for is good beer at night and poutine for breakfast.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:05 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
And, thankfully, you can find some of that beer right in the hotel lounge ;-) No poutine, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.