Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Definitive “HELP! My Hilton Honors Points Have ALREADY Expired!” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive “HELP! My Hilton Honors Points Have ALREADY Expired!” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2004, 1:21 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
You are correct. Any 3rd party accumulation of points is qualifying activity.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:16 am

Does spending points count as point activity or do you have to earn them?
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:02 pm

Location: Bangkok Thailand HYATT DIAMOND, DL PM, DL 2 Million Miler
Programs: THAI RO Gold, Hilton Gold,Marriott something
it took me 3 weeks to figure out what Nomen est Omen means. But i dont think it was luck. I just made myself a total pest to them. And i invented a fictious stay within the 12 months that they hadnt credited. Faxed proof of an actual stay outside the 12 months. And complained obfuscated,confused, and Kissed ... (the COCK strategy).
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Thanks for this reminder! I just helped my son cash out of $50 in erewards to keep his HHonors account active.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 6:36 am

Lost all my 142 000 points ! Discriminating policy for some guests ?

Hello ... I just called HH and they tell me that since I haven't been staying since April 02 all my moints are lost (over 140,000).

Anything I can do ? i talked for 30 mn with one their supervisors but all she kept saying was "you should have read the terms and conditions bla bla bla". basicalliy, "it's your fault and we don't care". yes, I know it's my fault. But that they don't care ? ....

They offered me 50 % for 5 stays but I refused that.

She also said that they do warn guests ( all airlines do it), but that sometimes they cannot warn them all because they have too many members. What kind of answer is that ? is it based on a random basis ? on the colour of your skin ?! ....

If anyone here can help me, I'd be grateful... Thanks very much. I'm about to send a letter to HH in Glascow, but though i'd pop in FT first for good advice !

Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 6:46 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No good advice on this forum. Nothing you can do. It is in the T & C as you mentioned.

A hotel stay was not necessary to keep your account active. A credit card transaction or redemption could have done the trick.

Sorry about your situation.

Try a search to discover more about this policy.

Airlines have a similar policy but are more generous with the expiration time (generally 3 years).

Same deal with airlines, a purchase with a partner would count as qualifying activity.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 6:47 am

so, say I have had just a drink in a Conrad hotel in Bangkok, that would count ?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 6:49 am

And also... why is it that they warm some Guest about expiration, but not others ? what is it based on ?
AIrlines have the same policy but until now i have always been warmed way in advance ( TK, Asia Miles).
Old Mar 15, 2004, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I would try calling again. You never know, a different agent may result in a different resolution. I'm not saying that you were not nice during the first call, but just suggesting that you should approach it very calmly, business like.

Another suggestion I like to make is that you make 1 or 2 reservations in the near future on Hilton.com before calling. Just make sure the reservations are cancelable. It may help or it may not, but it's always good to show interest in the company when requesting a favor from them.

Good luck!
Old Mar 15, 2004, 7:10 am

I usually look at the mileage or points earned as a discount on future travel. I accrue a lot and I cash a lot. You will never see 142,000 point in my account.

I am afraid that the points will be devalued by program 'enahancements'. I hate to say this but you are totally at the mercy of HH people.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 7:12 am

So if I have no hotel stays but accrue points on my Amex HHonors Platinum card, my points are safe?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 7:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Most programs have an expiration to points or miles. Most will postpone the expirty with ANY qualifyinig activity - not a drink at the Conrad, unless it is charged, say, to an AMEX Hilton card. An award stay. A transfer of points / miles into / out of an account.

When one has points, miles or money at stake, it is wise to read the fine print every once and a while...
Old Mar 15, 2004, 8:07 am

I guess the thing that suprised me the most is that they didn't warn me at anytime. Why would they send warning to some guests, and not to others ? I was confirmed that they do warn some of their guests, but the supervisor couldn't tell me "based on what". She advised me to write HH for some written reply... always worth a try !

But i'm very disappointed by their behaviour in that case. If their way of rewarding me for my business - I have been Gold for some time - is to say "sorry it's your fault next time just read more carefully , we don't want to help you", I guess I'll have to take my future business elsewhere when I next have to face a choice of hotels. But then, do they really care ...
Old Mar 15, 2004, 8:20 am

After 11 months of nonactivity a few years ago, I received one of those self mailers. It included the notice of pending loss of points and the opportunity to use them for magazine subscriptions.

It could be that today's "warnings" are disguised as solicitations.

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 9:10 am

Was this due to inactivity since then or because you had not stayed at a property since then. I was wondering since things such profile changes to gain points had been offered and is this considered acceptable activity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.