FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Cologne {DEU} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/400146-hilton-cologne-deu.html)

senatorservice Aug 15, 2002 9:07 am

Hilton Cologne {DEU}

after doing a search with all three ways of spelling ( Cologne, Köln, Koeln ) and finding nothing,I wonder if anybody of the FT comunity has stayed in this hotel ?

greetings

senatorservice

[This message has been edited by senatorservice (edited 08-15-2002).]

aussiemate Aug 15, 2002 10:49 am

Yes. Stayed there this June and got an upgrade to the 4th floor, the top floor on the part of the building we were in. It was a very nice hotel. We also got free complimentary hot and cold buffet breakfast. The food was excellent, and a chef made omelettes and waffles to order. There was fresh squeezed oj, and tons of food and drink.

The hotel was an easy walk from the train station and the cathedral. We got lost trying to drive to it, but the hotel itself was great! Hope you enjoy it!

Aussiemate

HankAAFlyer Aug 15, 2002 12:26 pm

I agree with Aussiemate. I stayed in a Business Plan room on the 2nd floor. I was very impressed with the hotel and its staff. The only thing is to be careful not to forget your room key (they use the room key to turn on the power when you slide it in). It's supposedly "eco-friendly" rooms. I loved the hot breakfast buffet, and the quality of the furniture (my room also had hardwood floors). if you want a health club, theirs is under construction, but offer access at a nearby hotel (it was not that convenient, and I felt bad using it more than once since the competing hotel charges the Hilton 15 bucks for every guest). Like aussiemate, great location, easy walk to Cathedral and shopping district

ermdjdsj Jun 20, 2004 4:41 pm

Bump to find out if anyone has stayed at the Hilton Cologne since 2002 and had similarly positive experiences. I have a choice between Hilton Cologne and Hilton Bonn coming up on an itinerary, and one post I found about the Hilton Bonn said they didn't upgrade or give complimentary breakfast there, so I'm leaning towards Hilton Cologne.

Football Fan Jun 20, 2004 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by ermdjdsj
Bump to find out if anyone has stayed at the Hilton Cologne since 2002 and had similarly positive experiences. I have a choice between Hilton Cologne and Hilton Bonn coming up on an itinerary, and one post I found about the Hilton Bonn said they didn't upgrade or give complimentary breakfast there, so I'm leaning towards Hilton Cologne.

I stayed in both several times during the last two months and the Hilton Cologne is much better than the one in Bonn.

Both do not have a lounge.

In Cologne, be aware that highspeed Internet does not work on some of the lower floors, so if you want that, mention it at check-in.

One weird thing about the Hilton Cologne in the Business rooms (on the higher floors) is that there is a sensor that detects movement in the bathroom to turn on the light. The downside of that is that if you don't move much for a while in the main bathroom area (e.g., you lie in the bathtub or you are in the shower), the light turns off. Picture someone jumping out of the bathtub or the shower every two minutes or so just to turn on the light again... :D

Other than that, the business rooms are very modern and relatively spacious. The rooms in Bonn seemed to be a bit more worn and the hotel overall a category lower than in Cologne.

Staff also seemed to be trained better and friendlier in Cologne.

Football Fan Jun 20, 2004 5:19 pm

Oh, and do not expect a suite upgrade in Cologne since they only have 2, I think.

iainbhx Jun 21, 2004 12:22 am

I stay at the Hilton Koeln about 3 times a year. Whilst it does not have a lounge, the staff are very friendly, the buffet breakfast is great and I always get upgraded to one of the superb business rooms.

I also like having lunch in the Bar, very good and very sensibly priced.

It is beautifully maintained and very well situated for visting the city.

hts Jun 21, 2004 1:59 pm

I was quite disappointed with the Hiltons in both Munich and Frankfurt, but haven't stayed at the property you're inquiring about. Perhaps my standards are too high?

the countdown to 100 posts continues...

SethLevy Jul 25, 2004 9:47 am

Does anyone know how close this hotel is to the train station. We are arriving fro Frnakfurt by train and will have 4 bags for 2 people. Should we take a taxi from the station to the hotel or is it really close?

Thanks.

Any info of Gold treatment on free night stays?

Many thanks.

flyer2day Jul 25, 2004 11:19 am

From hilton.com:

The hotel is located just 200 meters away from the main station.

Enjoy your stay in Cologne.

Football Fan Jul 25, 2004 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by hts
I was quite disappointed with the Hiltons in both Munich and Frankfurt,

I have stayed at both the Munich Park and the Frankfurt Hilton, and liked them both very much.

Counsellor Jul 31, 2004 8:16 am

Ditto. I was very impressed with both, and somewhere back in the dawn of FlyerTalk posted about both of them (particularly the corner suite with glass sides facing the park in the Frankfurt Hilton).

I'd rank them (particularly the Frankfurt Hilton) with the Athens property.

f4free Jul 31, 2004 2:29 pm

The Hilton Cologne is very "stylish". The rooms impressed my girlfriend and myself a great deal. Staff is excellent, breakfast was very nice but extremely crowded. The location is excellent if you arrive by train. I liked the Hotel a lot, and would go back there anytime.

My favorite in Germany is the Munich Park Hilton.

ermdjdsj Sep 15, 2004 8:57 pm

Just got back from a one-night stay at Hilton Cologne -- overall positive experience, easy access to main railway station and cathedral (2-minute walk) if you're touring instead of working, river, easy access to multiple restaurants (and breweries if you like). Desk and concierge friendly and helpful.

They put me into one of the larger rooms though I'd paid for a base room, modern styling, everything worked.

Room was not ready on arrival (it was only 1PM so I wasn't sure it would be) and they gave us complimentary drinks at the bar during the 20 minutes we waited even though we were early.

Welcoming plate with chocolate covered fruit and strawberries in room was a nice touch.

Breakfast buffet was abundant and tasty but as stated above crowded -- had to sit at the other end of a table already in use by someone as there was no room elsewhere, but that used to be routine in Germany even in restaurants so it was no big deal.

Would definitely go there again.

paul_a142 Feb 14, 2005 10:54 am

Info on Hilton Cologne

Looking to stay at the Hilton in Cologne for a weekend break in August, anyone any info, good ^ or bad :td: on this property

Regards

Paul