Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Cologne {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
I stayed here over Christmas Holidays, it is an ok (not great, but certainly not bad) Hilton property. The location was good, staff friendly, rooms typical European small. The room did have really large windows that I was able to open, very much appreciated that. Was not upgraded as a gold, but given a full breakfast in the restaurant off of the lobby. Not sure about the premium wifi. Parking is limited and EXPENSIVE if you will have a car.
Thanks for the response. We won't have a car. The previous review that mentioned the premium wifi was from 2014, so things may have changed in that area. Based on our itinerary, we are deciding between this hotel and the Hilton in Bonn. Any comparison?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: HH D
Stayed there last January on a (low occupancy) weekend night and was upgraded - but I'm a diamond.

Room was large and had a Dom-view, which is special because for about 500 years people had to look at an unfinished Dom and now, while you are only staying there for a short while, you can have a look at the finished product.

The rooms have been renovated. Desk was removed and replaced by a table and chairs, which still can be used as a desk. But a table is great when you are using room service or if you want to have your women and children stay in that room.

Rooms now have full size flat screen TVs (they used to have small ones because larger ones wouldn't fit the custom made furniture.) However, rooms used to be 'special' by design, while now they are only ordinary rooms. For example: there used to be 'window' building blocks that would shine light from the bathroom into the bedroom when the lights in the bathroom were on. This really gave a special effect. Now these window blocks are covered up, probably to prevent people from leaving on the light in the bathroom, which now has lighted and heated mirrors which will consume a lot of energy.

Mini bars have been emptied out. As a Diamond I recieved two chips to be spent on items from the SNAX shop next to the reception desk. One could select any item from the shop, including alcoholic drinks. As a Gold I think you will receive these too, because there is no lounge.

They have a large fitness room, but two pieces of equipment I tried had maintenance issues.

Cologne is a great city for shopping and museums - many can be reached on foot. Bonn is more like a relaxed provincial city. I like Bonn better, because of this and they always are upgrading me to a room with a Rhine river view. In Bonn, it's just a 5 minute walk if you prefer to park for free, while in Cologne that would take 15 minutes or more. (TV tower area has free parking).

One thing I forgot, the restaurant now has a fine selection of craft beers from various parts of the world, they even have their own Konrad Strammer Max IPA.

A 'Strammer Max' in a German bar is actually a butter fried slice of bread with ham and a fried egg.

Last edited by Sisosig; Mar 16, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I had probably one of the best Hilton stays of mine there recently. Kudos
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by FFlash
I had probably one of the best Hilton stays of mine there recently. Kudos
Good to hear! Anything in particular that stands out as excellent?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Sisosig
Stayed there last January on a (low occupancy) weekend night and was upgraded - but I'm a diamond.

Room was large and had a Dom-view, which is special because for about 500 years people had to look at an unfinished Dom and now, while you are only staying there for a short while, you can have a look at the finished product.

The rooms have been renovated. Desk was removed and replaced by a table and chairs, which still can be used as a desk. But a table is great when you are using room service or if you want to have your women and children stay in that room.

Rooms now have full size flat screen TVs (they used to have small ones because larger ones wouldn't fit the custom made furniture.) However, rooms used to be 'special' by design, while now they are only ordinary rooms. For example: there used to be 'window' building blocks that would shine light from the bathroom into the bedroom when the lights in the bathroom were on. This really gave a special effect. Now these window blocks are covered up, probably to prevent people from leaving on the light in the bathroom, which now has lighted and heated mirrors which will consume a lot of energy.

Mini bars have been emptied out. As a Diamond I recieved two chips to be spent on items from the SNAX shop next to the reception desk. One could select any item from the shop, including alcoholic drinks. As a Gold I think you will receive these too, because there is no lounge.

They have a large fitness room, but two pieces of equipment I tried had maintenance issues.

Cologne is a great city for shopping and museums - many can be reached on foot. Bonn is more like a relaxed provincial city. I like Bonn better, because of this and they always are upgrading me to a room with a Rhine river view. In Bonn, it's just a 5 minute walk if you prefer to park for free, while in Cologne that would take 15 minutes or more. (TV tower area has free parking).

One thing I forgot, the restaurant now has a fine selection of craft beers from various parts of the world, they even have their own Konrad Strammer Max IPA.

A 'Strammer Max' in a German bar is actually a butter fried slice of bread with ham and a fried egg.
Thank you very much! quite helpful. ^
Old May 9, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

Stayed there twice before and always enjoyed to location and breakfast (had to decline an upgrade last year as a Gold as I needed the connected family room). This time booked the Queen and lets see if Diamond gets me an upgrade. Always got drink vouchers for he bar ...nice touch.
The only thing I dislike is the tiny parking garage ... when it was build cars were obviously much smaller and I reserved LDAR (5 series etc) to have a good time on the Autobahn.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:39 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I stayed there this weekend and find it an OK property. I was upgraded to a Deluxe room and choose a corner one at OLCI, which they differentiate as being one category above Deluxe, so a double upgrade. The room was large, nearly too much; the lack of furniture give the room an empty feeling. The table is not great, I prefer the usual desk. Mainly because the plugs are awkwardly located relative to the table. Also there was not enough plugs.
Good service at breakfast one morning, poor the second one. The spread was just OK, i have seen better at Hilton in Europe. On Sunday they offered sparkling wine at breakfast for Gold and Plat members.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:08 pm

Was there a couple months ago and found it a fine property; standard German business hotel. Location is excellent. Being from the US I am still easily impressed at breakfast; the worst German one will beat 95% of those in the US. Cologne didnt seem to have much in the way of impressive hotels from the big chains, though the Hyatt across the river seemed very nice.

I would happily stay again.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
deleted
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Just completed a stay here over the city's marathon weekend.

As a Diamond, I was upgraded to a pretty large room with tall windows and an oblique view of the Dom. Offered 2 bottles of water, 3 "SNAX" coins to pick up three items from their snack pantry, as well as breakfast and premium wi-fi. I wasn't so impressed by the breakfast (which I agree is quite better than the average U.S. breakfast however) -- standard English breakfast fare, omelette bar, and only few uniquely German options. On a multi-day stay, I only chose to eat at the hotel once for breakfast as a result. 10% off other F&B for holding the Hilton Amex credit card, which I wasn't aware of as an advertised benefit.

A friendly front desk staff was generally eager to offer tips for the city.

The location is fine with very easy access to the Hauptbahnhof and the Stadtbahn tram lines. Like most European cities, after dark the area around the station can get a little less salubrious, but probably not to the point of being unsafe.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:44 am

Just finished a three night stay here. Booked a cathedral view room and was upgraded to a junior suite with a view. Now to be fair you had to crane your neck and look through a certain part of the window but you did see the dom. Masks are worn inside except when eating at breakfast or in the lounge and the rooms all have the new clean seal on the door when you first enter your room.
As a diamond, breakfast was included for my partner and myself for the stay. I have to say I was impressed as the buffet had hot and cold options, and was almost the same as when I was staying there a year ago. To get coffee you had to ask a server, but they gave you many options (cappuccino, latte etc), and you could reorder whenever you wanted.
The parking is a bit tight and expensive, and they didn't explain that it fills up quickly. Because of this we came back the second night and had to park under to cathedral in a public parkade. For the trouble they did credit me the parking charge. That was one thing my partner and I really like about this property. It isn't perfect, but all the problems were minor, and every time the staff went out of their way to make it right.
I'm generally in the area once or twice a year, and going forward I will stay in Cologne and just drive to Bonn or Dusseldorf as needed. The Bonn Hilton is too expensive for the old and unfriendly service, and the Dusseldorf Hilton is using the pandemic as a reason to cut back their service. Until I find differently, it's Cologne for us.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find myself staying at this property every now and then going back two decades now. Although it looks "bleh" from the outside, it consistently has some of the best service of any "business" type hotel in Europe. I have always found them to be incredibly attentive, they have always treated my status more than properly (I have always received excellent upgrades automatically as a Diamond), their F&B has always been excellent, and their location is awesome.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Cowtown77
going forward I will stay in Cologne and just drive to Bonn or Dusseldorf as needed. The Bonn Hilton is too expensive for the old and unfriendly service, and the Dusseldorf Hilton is using the pandemic as a reason to cut back their service.
Kind of scratching my head here...from Cologne it is 30+ minutes to Dusseldorf or Bonn...so that is an hour round trip...what line of work are you in where your time is valuable enough to warrant trips to Germany but worthless enough to burn an hour a day over "service" at German business hotels (of which even the "best" isn't really that great, compared e.g. to Asia)? I've stayed at these properties and honestly I'd just stay wherever I need to be...plenty to do in all of these locations outside of the walls of a Hilton...
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Kind of scratching my head here...from Cologne it is 30+ minutes to Dusseldorf or Bonn...so that is an hour round trip...what line of work are you in where your time is valuable enough to warrant trips to Germany but worthless enough to burn an hour a day over "service" at German business hotels (of which even the "best" isn't really that great, compared e.g. to Asia)? I've stayed at these properties and honestly I'd just stay wherever I need to be...plenty to do in all of these locations outside of the walls of a Hilton...
Let me help with that head scratching : )

- I see no mention of the trip being a business trip and the reference to a partner suggests that it's more than this;
- The ICE to Düsseldorf is only 20 minutes;
- If you need/want to be in all three places, Cologne would be the best one to base yourself in. I find the Düsseldorf property fine, but the out of centre location is not great, except for the airport or the nearby businesses.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dan72
- The ICE to Düsseldorf is only 20 minutes
Agreed, and that's my preference as well, but the OP referenced parking and driving in their posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.