Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Cologne {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SAnger3494
Looking at going in October in Germany and visiting there.
MRS SANGER3494 is Gold HH and I am SPG Gold, so we have two options.
As stated above, you have three options: Hilton, 4P, Dom. Their locations are essential the same - all three are within 5 min walking distance from the main station.

I know the 4P really good - more than 100 nights during the last two years, the Hilton quite good (just checked out this morning, my fourth stay there this year), and stayed at the Dom once.

The 4P is - okay. Being SPG platinum, mainly due to stays at the 4P, I almost always get a large suite. However, most of the regular rooms are quite small, with quite dark interieur, and the hotel has seen better times - it looks rather worn off. Staff is friendly, breakfast is good. However, on a leisure trip with my girlfriend, I would not go there (although she joined me on a business trip there and did not complain ;-) ).

The Hilton would be my choice. Currently it is available for reasonable prices. Rooms are really nice (wooden floor, light colors), their size is ok (although I would prefer them to be bigger). Staff is very friendly and professional, breakfast good (a little better than the 4P). However, I personally see it rather as a business hotel than as a hotel for leisure stays.

At the Dom I stayed only once. The stay was more or less ok. The room was nice (nicer than the Hilton), although I am not sure if I got a room update (I certainly did not get a suite which was what I was hoping for). Staff was - well, quite reserved. I would even say they had an attitude. I didn't have any breakfast there, however we had some pasta outside on the terrace, which actually was not good (although the terrace is nice). However, the Dom is certainly the most prestigious of these three hotels, probably the one Grand Hotel in Cologne with the most history. My impression was that they don't live up to their heritage, although I can't say very much negative about it (apart from that it was not as good as I expected).

Going out of line altogether, you could consider some other hotels in Cologne, not linked to any big hotel chain: the Hopper St. Antonius (where I had the most pleasant room of all 20+x hotels I stayed at in Cologne), or maybe the Wasserturm (which is said to be a very special hotel, but I have never been there).
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:12 am

Hilton Cologne - April 2009

After checking out at the Dusseldorf Hilton we moved over to the Hilton Cologne / Köln (HHonors Category 4), Marzellenstrasse 13-17, 50668 Köln, Tel: +49-211-130710, Fax: +49-211-130720, email: [email protected]

The hotel is located right in the city center. Walking distance to the Cathedral is approx. 3 min. Valet parking was available. Valet / self parking is 26.00 € per day. If you’re arriving by car, you’ll find NO free parking spaces around the hotel! In front of the hotel taxis are available. If you are using public transportation, the Cologne Central Station is a 5-10 min. walk away. A Sixt rental station is on site.

Check-in was very friendly and efficient. All my room-preferences set in my profile were honored. Received an upgrade to a Deluxe Room on 6th floor. This hotel does not have an Executive Lounge. Baggage assistance wasn’t offered.

In my room I found a welcome note from the GM, two compl. bottles of Apollinaris silent water and a plate with three Danish. This room was HUGE and had a fabulous view of the Cathedral, especially at night. The room was clean, bright and had the modern Hilton deco, with A/C, WiFi, wooden floor, bathrobes, slippers, in-room coffee-maker, iron, ironing-board, extra pillow and a room safe in the closet as well as the new Hilton clock. The minibar was stocked with: orange juice, apple juice, Apollinaris sparkling water, Coke, Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Tonic Water 3.50 €, Evian non-sparkling water 3.80 €, Perrier Sparkling water 4.00 €, Staatlich Fachingen non-sparkling water 5.00 €, Red Bull 5.00 €, Becks Beer, Kölsch, Heinecken 4.00 €, red wine (0.2 l) 9.50 €, white wine (0.2 l) 9.00 €, Vodka, Martini 6.00 €, Gin 6.50 €, Rum, Cognac 7.00 €, Hilton Sparkling Wine (0.2 l) 9.90 €. The bathroom was also huge, clean and well lighted, with a tub and a huge walk-in shower. The usual amenities were available.

After strolling through the city for several hours we went back to the hotel for dinner, just to find out, that their Konrad restaurant was closed for dinner due to low occupancy rate. They set up maybe five to six tables within the Lobby Cafe & Bar instead. Unfortunately there was a soccer game in Cologne that day, so the Lobby Bar was filled with 20–30 drunk / wasted soccer fans who were singing, yelling and screaming, so we decided to eat outside the hotel, which was no problem at all, as the hotel is located within the main tourist area with a lot of restaurants close-by.

After having dinner we went back to the hotel for the main purpose of our trip, a visit to their ICE Bar. The ICE Bar features 120+ different vodkas and as a big vodka lover I was looking forward to this trip since last Christmas, as it was given to me as a Christmas present. Well, while approaching the hotel we recognized that ICE Bar was dark! We went over to the Front Desk and were informed that ICE Bar has also been closed over the Easter holidays due to the low occupancy rate. The Front Desk agent was very polite, excused for any inconvenience this may have caused and informed us that other guests also complained about the closure and it will be forwarded to management. After walking through Cologne all day long, we decided to stay at the Lobby Cafe & Bar. When the waiter came by, I asked to speak to F&B Manager, but was told that he’s not in the house anymore. So I explained the situation to our waiter, informing her, that we intend ordering at least two bottles of Grey Goose if there would be a possibility to get a reduced bottle price instead paying shot by shot which would have cost us 175 € / $228 per bottle. After checking with her supervisor she informed us that they won’t offer us a bottle price and every order will be charged separately. This led to ordering just cokes and Kölsch beer for the rest of the evening, for a total of $117.

Next morning we had breakfast at the Konrad restaurant (24.00 € per person if not incl. in your room rate). The selection and quality of the food was very good! Different French Rolls, bread, toast, Danish, muffins, Brezel, croissants, cake, several cereals, milk, low fat milk, yoghurt, cheese, spread cheese, meat, spread meat, smoked salmon, ham, salami, butter, margarine, honey, marmalade, Nutella, fruit salads, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, tofu, apples, pears, grapes, hard boiled eggs, multi-vitamin-juice, orange juice, tomato juice, water, coffee and tea. The warm selection included scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, baked beans, baked tomatoes and meatballs. You could also order your eggs soft or hard boiled, sunnyside up, as an omelette or porridge, Belgian waffles and pancakes.

Check-out was very polite, fast and accurate.

Final notes: The location of the Cologne Hilton is superb. Rooms are clean, modern and above average size. The staff seemed very friendly. The downside was the yelling and drunk crowd in the Lobby Bar, which I wouldn’t expect in a 5* hotel. The closure of their Konrad restaurant and especially the unexpected closure of the ICE Bar which made my friend and colleague feeling very miserable. If the management decides to close parts of the hotel due low occupancy rate, it’s hard to understand why they prefer to displease a guest instead of attempting to accommodate someone and taking as much of his money as possible. My guess is that there are still enough tourists in Cologne, so an individual does not count pretty much. This is really surprising as the GM manages the Cologne Hilton and the Bonn Hilton. The staff in Bonn is much ahead of pleasing their guests. Altogether you might be happy with this property. I’ll return only once due having already another non-refundable reservation. At check-out I dropped their guest questionairy, expressing my disappointment. ... 48 hrs later I received an email from Guest Relations, requesting more information about the circumstances that made my stay not pleasant... I'll report back about the outcome.

***pictures available upon request***

Last edited by servus; Apr 21, 2009 at 12:40 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Hilton in Cologne on Sept. 5. I picked it because of its proximity to the rail station.
Staff was indifferent and did not volunteer any assistance.
No upgrades.
Room spartan and depressing.
Location was great.
This is no where near a 5* property. 4* is pushing it.
Walked across the bridge to the Hyatt. What a difference! Cheerful, outdoor activity down by the river etc. Next time in Cologne will definitely be at the Hyatt.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bbkenney
I stayed at the Hilton in Cologne on Sept. 5. I picked it because of its proximity to the rail station.
Staff was indifferent and did not volunteer any assistance.
No upgrades.
Room spartan and depressing.
Location was great.
This is no where near a 5* property. 4* is pushing it.
Walked across the bridge to the Hyatt. What a difference! Cheerful, outdoor activity down by the river etc. Next time in Cologne will definitely be at the Hyatt.
That's disappointing to hear. I had quite a few stays at this property last Spring and was always assigned a top floor junior suite, which I found to be bright, pleasant and spacious, definitely not depressing:

The staff were also quite friendly and personable. The only flaw in the hotel was the lack of a club lounge but even then, they sometimes handed me some drink vouchers to use at the bar. I hope your recent experiences with the staff do not signify a diminution of service quality at this property.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LarryU
That's disappointing to hear. I had quite a few stays at this property last Spring and was always assigned a top floor junior suite, which I found to be bright, pleasant and spacious, definitely not depressing:
The staff were also quite friendly and personable. The only flaw in the hotel was the lack of a club lounge but even then, they sometimes handed me some drink vouchers to use at the bar. I hope your recent experiences with the staff do not signify a diminution of service quality at this property.
Nice room. Hard to believe you and I stayed at the same hotel.
Its interesting that at both Cologne and Amsterdam-Schiphol, they would not give upgrades (though I am Diamond) and hid behind the excuse that I had "ticked the 1,000 point bonus box" and would get 1000 points instead. First, I have no recollection of making such a choice, which I would not have done and secondly, if you had upgrade rooms why would you not give them to a Diamond customer regardless?
I will certainly go into my account and change those settings anyhow.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bbkenney
Nice room. Hard to believe you and I stayed at the same hotel.
Its interesting that at both Cologne and Amsterdam-Schiphol, they would not give upgrades (though I am Diamond) and hid behind the excuse that I had "ticked the 1,000 point bonus box" and would get 1000 points instead. First, I have no recollection of making such a choice, which I would not have done and secondly, if you had upgrade rooms why would you not give them to a Diamond customer regardless?
I will certainly go into my account and change those settings anyhow.
Although I haven't noticed this recently, I know for a fact that these settings have sometimes changed on their own, especially pertaining to international reservations. I am profoundly distrustful of anything involving Hilton and information technology and have made it a habit to double check my profile settings very frequently and especially just before an upcoming stay. That being said, I am not sure why a property would be unable to switch your myway choices to whatever you prefer at the time of check-in. I have usually been able to do this in the past.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by servus
After checking out at the Dusseldorf Hilton we moved over to the Hilton Cologne / Köln (HHonors Category 4), Marzellenstrasse 13-17, 50668 Köln, Tel: +49-211-130710, Fax: +49-211-130720, email: [email protected]

The hotel is located right in the city center. Walking distance to the Cathedral is approx. 3 min. Valet parking was available. Valet / self parking is 26.00 € per day. If you’re arriving by car, you’ll find NO free parking spaces around the hotel! In front of the hotel taxis are available. If you are using public transportation, the Cologne Central Station is a 5-10 min. walk away. A Sixt rental station is on site.
I read somewhere else about low emission cars? We are getting a rental from either AMS or CDG any issues getting them to the hotel?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:56 am

Programs: LH, HH, PC
Originally Posted by troyintn
We are getting a rental from either AMS or CDG any issues getting them to the hotel?
Yes. You are not allowed to drive to the Hilton without an emission sticker.

But you can use one of the free park+ride options outside the city center (PDF, 800kb) for parking.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
True. And it is taken seriously. There is a general ban for cars without a sticker. It will cost you 40 Euro if you take a car without such sticker downtown. If you hold a German driving license (what you obviously do not do) you will face further consequences.

Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hann
Yes. You are not allowed to drive to the Hilton without an emission sticker.

But you can use one of the free park+ride options outside the city center (PDF, 800kb) for parking.
Thanks,
Troy
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Found myself at the Hilton Cologne for a quick one night stay this week. I had basically sworn off Hilton after the devaluation but the rate at the Cologne property was much cheaper than Starwoods Dom Hotel and the IC so I booked the Hilton on a cheap AAA rate.

Overall very satisfied with my stay! Finding the property can be an issue but the location really is very convenient. At check-in they offered me a Gold HH upgrade to a Jr. Suite but noted that it was a smoking suite. I said I would go up and check it out and if it was too stinky I would come back down to get my regular room. Smell was horrible so I returned to the front desk to get a regular room. Clerk gave me a free drink coupon since he didn't have any other upgraded rooms to offer me. Regular room was nice but a bit on the small side. No big deal since I needed to sleep after my flight from the US and really only wanted a bed. Free breakfast the next morning offered a very nice buffet.

Considering the favorable rate this really is a nice HH option in Cologne. I personally really like Starwoods Dom Hotel but the Hilton is a good alternative and only a little further away from the Dom and the main shopping area.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
I also was at the Hilton Cologne for a quick one night stay a week ago. The rate was excellent (130 euros) and the location is perfect - about a 3 minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof (train station) and the cathedral.

I would say my stay was perfect. I arrived at 9:30 a.m. after flying trans-Atlantic to Frankfurt and a short train ride. Despite the early arrival, at check-in they were able to offer me a room immediately, an upgrade to a Junior Suite on the top floor. They also invited me to have breakfast that morning (as well as the following morning), and provided me with two drink certificates for the lobby bar. Breakfast was excellent, and the room was spacious, clean, and comfortable.

It was great to enjoy the city and see the German fans celebrating after their football triumph that afternoon.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
I am the Hilton Cologne right now and it is a nice hotel for the money and location.

ICE bar is REALLY cool (Pun intended) Had a great time at the bar last night and will return tonight.

Fitness center is nice as well.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:06 am

Any recent stays? Does anyone know fitness center hours? Or does anyone have an e-mail address? (Neither fitness center hours nor e-mail given on hotel website.) Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:32 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

The German page (http://www.hilton.de/HiWayWeb/appman...%2FHealth+Club) has this information.

Fitness is 24 hours and wellness (sauna, steam room) is weekdays 12:00 to 22:00 and weekends 11:00 to 22:00. E-Mail would be info.cologne [@] hilton.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.