Hilton Brussels City {BEL}

Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just booked a trip here at the end of December and trying to decide where to stay.

I have corporate rates (that I'm allowed to use for personal travel) of 119Euro for Hilton Brussels City and 95Euro for the HGI (which doesn't seem to have a separate thread).

Is the Brussels City worth the extra 24Euro/night (total of 72Euro since I'll be using Citi to snag 4th night free on this)? The alternative is either the Renaissance (corporate rate is 84Euro/night) or Marriott Grand Palace (corporate rate is 125euro/night).

First time to Brussels - only thing set in stone is we want to visit the Neuhaus factory store since we are both big Neuhaus fans

Last edited by Duke787; Sep 8, 2017 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
*bump* sorry to do this

Any recent updates on what to expect at this hotel?

After wasting too much time thinking where to stay here or the Hilton Grand Place, we opted to stay here for two nights next night, paying 85€ per night inclusive of taxes. The Grand Place property was asking double that price.

Is the walk to the Grand Place OK and relatively safe at night? and also relatively safe between the train station and the hotel?

I ask this because last time I was in Brussels, thinking 5 years now, someone tried to pickpocket me in broad daylight - that I had to shove the guy away.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
I stay here quiet often, depending on the price (like you say- when the price difference is big with the other Hilton- I stay here).
I know exactly what to expect so we are never disappointed.
Some of the staff members (like Matthijs) are amazing! Rooms are decent (we prefer the 'deluxe' rooms - even though we have been upgraded to a suite a few times, those are a bit depressing...). Hotel is a bit dated but location is good, walking from the Grand Place area is quiet safe (I have done this many times at 3 am on a Sunday, alone...). Walking to the train station is also ok and safe (if you follow the 'Vooruitgangstraat' route, I wouldn't recommend to walk to the station trough the back, under the bridge at night) Gym, sauna, steam room are quiet nice. Breakfast is basic but does the job for a few nights.
They also provide drink vouchers for elite members, they have always given me a few more after asking for it :-)
Don't try to expect too much and you will be fine...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Delectatio
I stay here quiet often, depending on the price (like you say- when the price difference is big with the other Hilton- I stay here).
I know exactly what to expect so we are never disappointed.
Some of the staff members (like Matthijs) are amazing! Rooms are decent (we prefer the 'deluxe' rooms - even though we have been upgraded to a suite a few times, those are a bit depressing...). Hotel is a bit dated but location is good, walking from the Grand Place area is quiet safe (I have done this many times at 3 am on a Sunday, alone...). Walking to the train station is also ok and safe (if you follow the 'Vooruitgangstraat' route, I wouldn't recommend to walk to the station trough the back, under the bridge at night) Gym, sauna, steam room are quiet nice. Breakfast is basic but does the job for a few nights.
They also provide drink vouchers for elite members, they have always given me a few more after asking for it :-)
Don't try to expect too much and you will be fine...
Thanks for the points, it's exactly what I was looking for.

I will expect a tiny room, an OK breakfast, but a safe and relatively easy walking distance to the Grand Place and surrounds.

At 85 I guess I won't worry too much if it doesn't meet my lowered expectation.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Thanks for the points, it's exactly what I was looking for.

I will expect a tiny room, an OK breakfast, but a safe and relatively easy walking distance to the Grand Place and surrounds.

At 85 I guess I won't worry too much if it doesn't meet my lowered expectation.
Standard rooms are indeed tiny here but in 25-30 stays I have always been upgraded to at least a deluxe room and they are quiet spacious, especially the corner rooms. It can be noisy at night (police sirens) though. Rooms at the back (facing the botanical garden which is worth a visit) are quiter than the ones facing the front.
alanslegal likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Place Rogier has improved big time since construction work is finished, and as far as I'm concerned it is the Hilton with the best cost/benefit ratio in town. A clear no go is the fairly new Garden Inn close to Louisalaan. Especially the whole staff there is completely useless and incompetent (experience of 5-6 independent stays over 2 years when the City hotel was full).
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
A clear no go is the fairly new Garden Inn close to Louisalaan. Especially the whole staff there is completely useless and incompetent (experience of 5-6 independent stays over 2 years when the City hotel was full).
Can't agree more. Staff pretty useless, breakfast experience about the worst I have had in Brussels (some very basic hotels I know do better) and I don't like the location. 3 times was enough and there won't be a 4th...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Can't agree more. Staff pretty useless, breakfast experience about the worst I have had in Brussels (some very basic hotels I know do better) and I don't like the location. 3 times was enough and there won't be a 4th...
Disagreed. At some dates the HGI sells their modern studio / kitchenette apartments at the same rate as the regular rooms, I've stayed their paying only 60 euros. The breakfast is typical for a European HGI and I've had some in the USA that were worse.

Over my last three stays at the Hilton Brussels City, I didn't get upgraded. Coupon is only valid for house wine, or beer on tap, but 'de la Senne' on tap is excluded. That's not Hilton, you'll say "Sir unfortunately that beer is not covered by your coupon, but I'll make a one time exception". I've about had it with them.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (CCR), Cartafreccia, HH Diamond, Esselunga Fidaty Gold
Hilton Brussels City will be rebranded as Hotel Indigo Brussels City (IHG)

On November 4th 2019, Hilton Brussels City will be re-branded to Hotel Indigo Brussels City. The hotel will continue to be operated by the same legal entity (Town Hotel SA), under a license of InterContinental Hotel Group (IHG).

The property is currently undergoing a complete make-over. As of January 2020, it will feature a brand new restaurant and lobby on the ground floor where you will be able to enjoy natures finest foods in a setting that draws inspiration from the neighbouring botanical gardens.

All upcoming reservations will be honoured and all reservation details will be respected,including confirmed rate, room type, special requests, cancellation policy and terms & conditions. Upon arrival guests will be allocated a non-renovated room, as initially booked.

As of 27/09/2019 all existing reservations will be transferred to the IHG system. Therefore a guest will simultaneously receive a cancellation from Hilton Brussels City and an identical reservation confirmation for Hotel Indigo Brussels City.

Please note that the hotel will be affiliated to the IHG Rewards Club loyalty program and we are happy to award IHG points and benefits for the stay. This means that after November 4th any Hilton Honors programs benefits will no longer apply.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
It would be interesting to know the legal position for someone making a non refundable booking on the assumption that a property was for Brand A and conferring status benefits only to have their original booking novated in this way to a brand with no benefits. Seems to me that is a contractual breach and free cancellation should be available?

That said I love Indigo and wearing my IHG Spire/RA/IC hat I am generally more excited about Indigo stays than I am about Hilton stays.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton Brussels City became Indigo and now the former Crowne Plaza will become DT Brussels City, right next to the old Brussels City

Shame no lounge

I guess the owners couldn't resist Sir Simon's charms for much longer?
Old May 16, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
Hilton Brussels City became Indigo and now the former Crowne Plaza will become DT Brussels City, right next to the old Brussels City

Shame no lounge

I guess the owners couldn't resist Sir Simon's charms for much longer?
We have 2 nights coming up in September
Hilton and HG around 140
DT 110
Advice?
We are typical tourists
Old May 17, 2021, 12:37 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Is lounge (which may be closed or have reduced offerings?) worth €30 to you

I have stayed at the CP and think it will be fine as a DT

Would not pay €140 for HGI especially if Hilton (assume you mean Grand Place) is the same price...
Old May 17, 2021, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will be 8 EUR for a beer in the hotel bars. HGI is a dump. I'd take the Hilton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.