Hilton Brussels City {BEL}

Reply

Old Sep 8, 17, 9:39 am
  #196  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,645
Just booked a trip here at the end of December and trying to decide where to stay.

I have corporate rates (that I'm allowed to use for personal travel) of 119Euro for Hilton Brussels City and 95Euro for the HGI (which doesn't seem to have a separate thread).

Is the Brussels City worth the extra 24Euro/night (total of 72Euro since I'll be using Citi to snag 4th night free on this)? The alternative is either the Renaissance (corporate rate is 84Euro/night) or Marriott Grand Palace (corporate rate is 125euro/night).

First time to Brussels - only thing set in stone is we want to visit the Neuhaus factory store since we are both big Neuhaus fans

Last edited by Duke787; Sep 8, 17 at 9:47 am
Duke787 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 18, 5:31 pm
  #197  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Posts: 1,587
*bump* sorry to do this

Any recent updates on what to expect at this hotel?

After wasting too much time thinking where to stay here or the Hilton Grand Place, we opted to stay here for two nights next night, paying 85€ per night inclusive of taxes. The Grand Place property was asking double that price.

Is the walk to the Grand Place OK and relatively safe at night? and also relatively safe between the train station and the hotel?

I ask this because last time I was in Brussels, thinking 5 years now, someone tried to pickpocket me in broad daylight - that I had to shove the guy away.
alanslegal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 18, 11:27 pm
  #198  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Antwerpen - Belgium
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Melia Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 507
I stay here quiet often, depending on the price (like you say- when the price difference is big with the other Hilton- I stay here).
I know exactly what to expect so we are never disappointed.
Some of the staff members (like Matthijs) are amazing! Rooms are decent (we prefer the 'deluxe' rooms - even though we have been upgraded to a suite a few times, those are a bit depressing...). Hotel is a bit dated but location is good, walking from the Grand Place area is quiet safe (I have done this many times at 3 am on a Sunday, alone...). Walking to the train station is also ok and safe (if you follow the 'Vooruitgangstraat' route, I wouldn't recommend to walk to the station trough the back, under the bridge at night) Gym, sauna, steam room are quiet nice. Breakfast is basic but does the job for a few nights.
They also provide drink vouchers for elite members, they have always given me a few more after asking for it :-)
Don't try to expect too much and you will be fine...
Delectatio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 18, 7:15 am
  #199  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Posts: 1,587
Originally Posted by Delectatio View Post
I stay here quiet often, depending on the price (like you say- when the price difference is big with the other Hilton- I stay here).
I know exactly what to expect so we are never disappointed.
Some of the staff members (like Matthijs) are amazing! Rooms are decent (we prefer the 'deluxe' rooms - even though we have been upgraded to a suite a few times, those are a bit depressing...). Hotel is a bit dated but location is good, walking from the Grand Place area is quiet safe (I have done this many times at 3 am on a Sunday, alone...). Walking to the train station is also ok and safe (if you follow the 'Vooruitgangstraat' route, I wouldn't recommend to walk to the station trough the back, under the bridge at night) Gym, sauna, steam room are quiet nice. Breakfast is basic but does the job for a few nights.
They also provide drink vouchers for elite members, they have always given me a few more after asking for it :-)
Don't try to expect too much and you will be fine...
Thanks for the points, it's exactly what I was looking for.

I will expect a tiny room, an OK breakfast, but a safe and relatively easy walking distance to the Grand Place and surrounds.

At 85 I guess I won't worry too much if it doesn't meet my lowered expectation.
alanslegal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 18, 7:48 am
  #200  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Antwerpen - Belgium
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Melia Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 507
Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
Thanks for the points, it's exactly what I was looking for.

I will expect a tiny room, an OK breakfast, but a safe and relatively easy walking distance to the Grand Place and surrounds.

At 85 I guess I won't worry too much if it doesn't meet my lowered expectation.
Standard rooms are indeed tiny here but in 25-30 stays I have always been upgraded to at least a deluxe room and they are quiet spacious, especially the corner rooms. It can be noisy at night (police sirens) though. Rooms at the back (facing the botanical garden which is worth a visit) are quiter than the ones facing the front.
alanslegal likes this.
Delectatio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:05 am
  #201  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: DUS, BRU
Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB Plat.), LH MM, Iberia plus, HH & MRW Gold, Chevalier de la zagte berm
Posts: 393
Place Rogier has improved big time since construction work is finished, and as far as I'm concerned it is the Hilton with the best cost/benefit ratio in town. A clear no go is the fairly new Garden Inn close to Louisalaan. Especially the whole staff there is completely useless and incompetent (experience of 5-6 independent stays over 2 years when the City hotel was full).
wuzziduzziman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:31 am
  #202  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Antwerpen - Belgium
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Melia Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 507
Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman View Post
A clear no go is the fairly new Garden Inn close to Louisalaan. Especially the whole staff there is completely useless and incompetent (experience of 5-6 independent stays over 2 years when the City hotel was full).
Can't agree more. Staff pretty useless, breakfast experience about the worst I have had in Brussels (some very basic hotels I know do better) and I don't like the location. 3 times was enough and there won't be a 4th...
Delectatio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 18, 9:48 am
  #203  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: HH D; IHG G
Posts: 924
Originally Posted by Delectatio View Post
Can't agree more. Staff pretty useless, breakfast experience about the worst I have had in Brussels (some very basic hotels I know do better) and I don't like the location. 3 times was enough and there won't be a 4th...
Disagreed. At some dates the HGI sells their modern studio / kitchenette apartments at the same rate as the regular rooms, I've stayed their paying only 60 euros. The breakfast is typical for a European HGI and I've had some in the USA that were worse.

Over my last three stays at the Hilton Brussels City, I didn't get upgraded. Coupon is only valid for house wine, or beer on tap, but 'de la Senne' on tap is excluded. That's not Hilton, you'll say "Sir unfortunately that beer is not covered by your coupon, but I'll make a one time exception". I've about had it with them.
Sisosig is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread