Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Made reservations for 1 person, ok checkin with 2 persons?

Old Feb 3, 05, 12:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hilton Garden Inn french Qtr rate for 1 person is 101.00 and 118.00 for 2 person.

Could I checkin as 1 person and not encounter any problems?
Old Feb 3, 05, 12:48 pm

A person can do anything they want, but 2 different rates, this is not something I would do. If they didn't have 2 different rates, then I would agree it is fine.
Old Feb 3, 05, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kenpo777
Hilton Garden Inn french Qtr rate for 1 person is 101.00 and 118.00 for 2 person.

Could I checkin as 1 person and not encounter any problems?
I do this all the while ( despite the answer above)
Reason the HH rules say for Gold/Diamonds members spouse ( read partner?) stays free.
Note also the spouse free does not apply to Hamptons.
The drawbacks are that often it you list only one stayer when you check in your welcome package will have only one breakfast voucher.
To avoid that you can make a note in the comment section of the booking to remind them that spouses stay free and you will need two breakfast coupons.

Now there are a few caveats, some properties when you book rate that includes say a buffet breakfast ( as happened to me recently at the Caribe Hilton) you may not get way without paying the extra charge.
But if you are not going have the breakfast as in my case, I had lounge access away you might get them the waive the charge.

mike
Old Feb 3, 05, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
I do this all the while ( despite the answer above)
Reason the HH rules say for Gold/Diamonds members spouse ( read partner?) stays free.
Note also the spouse free does not apply to Hamptons.
The drawbacks are that often it you list only one stayer when you check in your welcome package will have only one breakfast voucher.
To avoid that you can make a note in the comment section of the booking to remind them that spouses stay free and you will need two breakfast coupons.

Now there are a few caveats, some properties when you book rate that includes say a buffet breakfast ( as happened to me recently at the Caribe Hilton) you may not get way without paying the extra charge.
But if you are not going have the breakfast as in my case, I had lounge access away you might get them the waive the charge.

mike
thanks for the response. I'm a hilton gold and I know that my wife will not be eating the free breakfast there while we are in new orleans.
Old Feb 3, 05, 2:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If there are two of you at the counter they may charge you the extra.
Old Feb 3, 05, 2:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
If there are two of you at the counter they may charge you the extra.
I thought spouse stays free?
Old Feb 3, 05, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If it's the spouse it's free at all but Hamptons, but if it's not the spouse they may charge. Spouses , by the way are not entitled to any of the freebies, though most hotels still give them.

From the rules

Spouse Stays Free: The additional person room charge will be waived on every qualifying HHonors stay. The additional person is not entitled, however, to any benefits associated with a package purchased at the single room rate (for example, a single room rate which includes Continental Breakfast). Not available at Hampton Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites hotels or All-inclusive hotels.
Old Feb 3, 05, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by kenpo777
I thought spouse stays free?
They do (for all HHonors levels, not just VIPs) at all Hilton-brands, except for Hampton Inns and all-inclusive resorts. My experience has been to book the single person rate, and then make a note in the comment field indicating that my wife will be staying in the room under the "Spouse Stays Free" policy.

Mike
Old Feb 7, 05, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting timing on this post -- I'm at Hilton Tokyo now. Had inadvertently booked the room for 1 guest. Didn't even notice until check-in, when I was told the rate was different for an extra guest, and would be an extra 3,000 yen per night.
Now, I didn't know about the spouse stays free rule, but the issue is that my "spouse" is my same-sex domestic partner. Where can I find this rule and does anyone know if we'll qualify? And how to explain it to the checkout staff who only speak English moderately well?!?
Checking out in 14 hours, please help!
Old Feb 7, 05, 7:29 am
cjd

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Interesting timing on this post -- I'm at Hilton Tokyo now. Had inadvertently booked the room for 1 guest. Didn't even notice until check-in, when I was told the rate was different for an extra guest, and would be an extra 3,000 yen per night.
Now, I didn't know about the spouse stays free rule, but the issue is that my "spouse" is my same-sex domestic partner. Where can I find this rule and does anyone know if we'll qualify? And how to explain it to the checkout staff who only speak English moderately well?!?
Checking out in 14 hours, please help!
You could try ringing one of the HHonors Customer Service centres which are listed on this URL:
http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors/contact.jhtml

There's one in Japan, otherwise the US number might be more helpful. However, I may be wrong but I tend to think that the definition of "spouse" is married partner.
Old Feb 7, 05, 8:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by cjd
I may be wrong but I tend to think that the definition of "spouse" is married partner.
Who travels with their marriage license?
Old Feb 7, 05, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, LC Aur, Hyatt Dmd, Mar/SPG "Lifetime" Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd
Originally Posted by nako
They do (for all HHonors levels, not just VIPs) at all Hilton-brands, except for Hampton Inns and all-inclusive resorts. My experience has been to book the single person rate, and then make a note in the comment field indicating that my wife will be staying in the room under the "Spouse Stays Free" policy.

Mike
That's what I do in these cases as well.
Old Feb 9, 05, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cjd
However, I may be wrong but I tend to think that the definition of "spouse" is married partner.
The terms and conditions don't define the term "spouse":
http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...E_MbrGuide.pdf

So I'd assume that applies to all spouses, not just those legally allowed to marry.
Old Feb 9, 05, 11:15 am

A spouse is, by definition, a partner in marriage. At least that's the way the language works here in the "old country"...

Originally Posted by Doppy
The terms and conditions don't define the term "spouse":
http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...E_MbrGuide.pdf

So I'd assume that applies to all spouses, not just those legally allowed to marry.
Old Feb 9, 05, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SW, HH, MR, SPG, Choice
Some hotel chains have different rates for more people in a room. Unless you are offering a full breakfast, never understood the need to charge more for a room if there is more people in it.

Search this Thread