Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How many current Elites started off with the FT "2000 miles per Q" points deal?

Old Jan 31, 05, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

How many current "real" earned Elites started off with the FT '2000 miles per Quarter' points update deal?

Newer members of FT will not recall, but for a few years Hilton used to give folks nominally 1,000 (but really 2,000) HH points a quarter for changing one aspect of your profile. King bed not Queen. Upper floor, not lower floor. New email address, or phone or cell etc, etc, etc. Took a few minutes and you were set.

And I recall you got 3,000 initial miles for each new account you started, if you went in via the link we posted on FT, so you got 5,000 "instant" HH miles effectively for each new account. This was around 2000 and 2001 IIRC. Maybe it ran into 2002 - someone may recall?

Many here used it. I started some long threads on it here, and in what was then "The Buzz" and there were doubtless many 1000s of FT'ers who added 8,000 points a year to their accounts, their wife's and kids etc. (And back then spouse accounts could be merged pretty fast and easily - rapidly doubling the bennies for many.)

It must have meant Hilton pumped out zillions of points to folks who had hardly used Hilton (if ever) to that point. Hilton were pretty clever and probably voided most of those accounts when they totally purged anyone last year who had not generated recent account "activity" last year.

My question is - how many of you reading this forum who are now "earned" Gold and Diamonds but started thinking Hilton directly as a result of this promo? And later changed all, or a lot of your Hotel business to that brand? Myself and partners have spent a lot of money with Hilton due to this promo in the past 5 years, and had never really previously spent a buck at Hiltons.

I suspect there are many in that boat, and am interested to see if these kinds of point 'drip-feeds' do in fact win loyalty in the end from some of those who sign up at the onset, purely for the free miles. Please post here your own personal experience from this promo.

Been a long while since Hilton offered any kind of free 1,000 type deal for anything. I really think they may be wise to try that kind of thing now and again. I will in a few days pass this thread link on to someone at Hilton who might be interested in the responses, and suggest they pass it on to the powers that be.

Seeing Hilton (like Starwood) do police strictly the right to cancel out your account balance entirely if you do not have annual activity, it seems a smart way to get folks thinking Hilton. If they give you 5,000 or eventually even 10,000 miles a year and you do not add to them - they simply void the account. Effectively weeding out the time wasters.

Even if they give everyone new 5,000 or even 10,000 miles up front, or far smarter - in a "drip-feed" over a year, what in PRACTICE can you redeem for that small number of miles (except near non-existent Cat 1 hotels) unless you add to the balance, and the simplest way to do that is start booking Hilton rooms.

Which is what the whole point of loyalty programs is all about of course. Heck even "Point Stretchers" (if you can find any!) very lowest category starts at 12,000 a night.

Hilton have a big advantage over say Starwood, as in reality 3,000 (even 5,000) free Hilton points are for all real purposes totally worthless, but it "looks" like a very impressive amount to a new member and prospective new client. 3,000 Starwood points on the other hand books you a VERY nice $200+ hotel room, as I had last week in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Old Jan 31, 05, 6:42 pm
SST

Actually, Glen, that bonus was EXACTLY what got me thinking more and more about building up my Hilton points, which led me to toss my hotel stays 80% toward Hilton, and led to Diamond status, and...............

Hilton, I suspect, couldn't give a darn, and some bean counter somewhere found it a "giveaway" rather than considering it a promotion to get people excited about the program, and about frequenting the Hhonors website. So their loss: mine too. Times change.

But I think the general tenor of your thread is on point: why give up a means of enticing people to a wholly targetted means of feeding them advertising, when it worked so beautifully (at least with you and me) to change our buying decision habits. But then, maybe you and I aren't typical, at least according to some bean counter. But I'd bet we are.
Old Jan 31, 05, 7:07 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Mrs NM and I both earned well off the points-for-change gift. When that stopped, our accounts were merged and now we both carry Diamond cards around with us. Back to our local for my pre-MLC birthday bash this weekend and a few more night/stay credits towards retaining the right coloured cards.

Ahh, the good old days ...
Old Jan 31, 05, 8:13 pm

We started as HHonors members about that time. It was a joy at the beginning of every quarter to update your profile and get points for doing so. We started staying at HHonors properties gradually then began in earnest when we did the 4 stays/50K point for Gold promo. Without these promos, we probably would never have given HHonors properties the nod over Starwood. We're now in our third year as Diamonds and we spend at least $7k a year at HHonors properties.

What fun those promos were at the beginning of our FT existence!
Old Jan 31, 05, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow.

Three current Diamonds out of the first 3 responses, from folks who did not stay Hilton before this promo.

Seems like it must have worked.
Old Jan 31, 05, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Platinum
Blast from the past!

Strange, but I had forgotten about this promo, but when I started traveling a lot for work four years ago, this is exactly what started me on Hilton. I remember thinking that since I very quickly got these points in my account, I should go ahead and start staying there to increase my "impressive" 2000 point balance. Funny, I also remember thinking "Gosh, I'll never make Silver..."
Old Jan 31, 05, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG RA, Marriott Gold
I also started shifting business to HHonors after hearing the stay 4 get 50K bonus points promo, and have made it to Diamond since the move. Although I like *W properties, HHonors treats me just as well and gives me breakfast!
Old Jan 31, 05, 11:57 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Not precisely on topic, but this Diamond switched to Hilton during the ACAQ "instant gold" promo and I've never looked back, Although there were a lot of posts about diluting the value of Gold and so on -- it really did get Hilton a lot of business in my case.
Old Feb 1, 05, 12:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, NW Silver
My question is - how many of you reading this forum who are now "earned" Gold and Diamonds but started thinking Hilton directly as a result of this promo?
Me.
In fact I found FT because of this HH feature. I do not recall the specifics, but I had heard about the change for points on HH from co-workers talking about it. But they did not know specifics, so I went on the Net and searched on it and I came up with FT.
I would say that I now give Hilton 90% of my business. I would give 100% but I don't make 100% of the choices on where I stay (at least on business travel).
Old Feb 1, 05, 6:03 am
Suspended

Although I did not participate is the FTalk promo it was this BB which made decide to go for Diamond. Might drop back to Gold in 2007 but mainly because I will doing some overseas travel where there are limited HH choices.
Still can believe they have no properties in Rio, one only in Argentina and none in Chile.

But talking about a " blast from the part" I bet most or you dont remember when you got only 500 points per stay unless you paid the rack rate.
Resorts like HHV and Disney gave only 500, in other words two weeks at the HHV = 500 points TOTAL.

mike
Old Feb 1, 05, 8:17 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum, Delta Platinum
Count me in as one who turned to Hilton due to the promotion.
Old Feb 1, 05, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It baited me into the game too. However, after the 4 stays for 50k promos ended and the award levels for certain awards jumped 50%, I decided to go increasingly the Hyatt way -- and have not regretted it.
Old Feb 1, 05, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Dia, SPG Gold
We started our HH accounts with the change bonuses than got hooked after the EWRDC/ACAQ/etc. 50K bonuses and am now in my second year of earned diamond status. I work closely with our corp travel dept. as far as preferred hotels and have definately helped bring Hilton in there. Was there not a single untargetted bonus last year?... that seems a first in a long time.
Old Feb 1, 05, 5:23 pm

That's exactly how I got started with Hilton. Since then I've been diamond every year. I seriously doubt I'll make it this year. I just don't have enough incentive to try. Elite treatment has been spotty at best, promotions are down, the brand just isn't what it was imho.
Old Feb 3, 05, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddavis

Was there not a single un-targetted bonus last year?... that seems a first in a long time.
Others study these things closer than I, but I can't recall one off hand. Not even a 1000 miles for a survey etc. Maybe others can refresh my memory?

But if these little things hooked you and your company (and others above) into Hilton Diamond loyalty, they are crazy not to wiggle a few a year out there under the noses of the next generation of folks to win over.

Glen

Search this Thread