Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:18 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Not sure what your interests are but within that time frame and distance...

Hilton Brighton? (if you like Brighton and want the South Coast)

Hilton Bournemouth? (same reason, better value for the voucher though I believe)

Hilton Ageas Bowl, Southampton (new Hilton, nice facilities in the spa, easy to get to from London)

Hilton St. Anne's Manor, Bracknell (a different Hilton and quite nice, not far from London at all)

Hilton Reading (still quite new and reasonable, very easy to get to).

Be aware that if you are thinking of Bournemouth or Southampton, the M3 is probably still closed at the M25 end so you end up diverted along the M4 and then down the A34 so adds some time depending on where you are leaving London from (and assuming you are driving...if not then not sure about public transport links to the above but should be most if not all of them.

Hope this helps, enjoy it wherever you do go...let us know which one you do choose and how it turned out! @:-)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
👌

Thank you guys. I do really appreciate your suggestions. What do you think of the Double Tree in Cambridge? Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:21 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by umbyboy
Thank you guys. I do really appreciate your suggestions. What do you think of the Double Tree in Cambridge? Thanks
I've only stayed once and posted my review on the thread (this was my review back then) for that hotel with pictures, it was a mixed impression I had but I do remember the breakfast being good and the view from the gardens was lovely, the rooms were dated back then and I am not sure if they have been renovated since (hopefully someone else can comment on that).

I've not been to the newer Hilton there so can't comment on that but the images look good from the website.

wizla and others may have more recent and better memory of the DT for you...

Last edited by BotB; Jun 2, 2017 at 11:25 am Reason: adding link to review on the DT thread
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:38 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Does it have to be driving? Personally I'd go to Scotland at this time of the year. Belfast or Dublin might work too.

Out of the ones mentioned, I like Bournemouth and Ageas Bowl. Cambridge is always expensive, so might get the most "book value" for your voucher.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by umbyboy
Yeah D! Has a good point there, let's start by talking " Cambridge " ...... beautiful place , I live not that far from there.......but, traffic is nearly always heavy, parking expensive and hotels too.
I've not stayed at the DT or the Hilton, however I've been in both for tea/ coffee etc and the Hilton is far far superior in my opinion, I thought the DT looked a bit run down and dated it's also never cheap, that said neither is the Hilton but it does have valet parking and is very central.
If it was me and it was a freebie I would choose the Hilton, apparently the executive lounge is very good too......oh and 1 hour up the M11.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
Update

I have booked at the WA in Edinburgh in the end. I shall report how it goes . Thanks for your help again.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Had no idea there was a WA in Edinburgh. Please do report back!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:40 am
cjd

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Had no idea there was a WA in Edinburgh. Please do report back!
Used to be the Hilton Caledonian until it was upgraded to a WA.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Best "Countryside" Property in UK??

Looking for recommendations for any Hilton group property in the UK that is more of a "english countryside" type place. A place with great walking and a bit of the Downton Abbey/Sherlock Holmes old school feel. Open to any part of the UK...Thank you!!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:59 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Hi, as others haven't yet had a crack at trying to answer your post, thought I would chime in and at least give some points that others can have a go at...

I think I know what you are after, (I imagine you want a large country house set in some impressive grounds in the countryside) however, I'll be provocative and come right out and say I don't think that Hilton have such a property in the UK (a shame really)...For that reason, you can either stay (sorry for the pun!) with Hilton and accept the compromise or consider any number of independent (or other chain) hotels that do offer such a 'country retreat'. I won't go into the second choice here as this is the Hilton forum but plenty of places to ask/look for those if you decide to go that route (the luxury forum or the UK/Ireland forum for example and ask there)...

My immediate thoughts on what comes closest to your wish in the UK (and admitting that I have not stayed in all the UK Hilton chain hotels but have been to a fair few) would be (and why):

-WA Edinburgh.
-Hilton Brighton.

These may not be what you are after but they do provide plenty of character in the building itself (so meeting the Downton/Sherlock criteria) with some good (but not countryside) walking from the door. The Caley in Edinburgh allows you to explore the city and the castle on foot and come back to a grand old dame to relax and get that scale of majestic building that just isn't done anymore (and isn't often owned or renovated by a major chain). Brighton is a second choice but has its own charm as its right on the beach, allows great walking on the coast and some exploration of this quirky UK seaside town close to London. Neither is going to provide a 'countryside' feel though by any stretch of the imagination. There are several places in the UK with Hilton that are in the countryside and allow access to the walking areas but they are not grand houses (although some do have some small amount of character)...not sure if you would rather have the hotel as the prominent point or the location (countryside) as the main criteria?

Hope that at least is contentious enough to get someone else to post with some thoughts as well and that it provides food for thought...please do post further comments if you feel I have missed the mark completely!

Safe travels, hope you find a place that suits your criteria, whether with Hilton or elsewhere for this trip.
uggboy likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by musikdude
Looking for recommendations for any Hilton group property in the UK that is more of a "english countryside" type place. A place with great walking and a bit of the Downton Abbey/Sherlock Holmes old school feel. Open to any part of the UK...Thank you!!
Hilton Bath ? Very mediocre property but the city and it's surroundings are great.

Canals to walk along (no cars!) , great Parks ... and at least 4 National Trust Manors accessible by Bus (eg: Dryham Park https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dyr...ceMapClick=119)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

@musikdude: I agree with what BotB has said. However, the following Hilton properties may fit your criteria (in no particular order):
You can find a list of Hilton properties in the UK in this FT thread.
SanDiego1K and uggboy like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by paul00
@musikdude: I agree with what BotB has said. However, the following Hilton properties may fit your criteria (in no particular order):You can find a list of Hilton properties in the UK in this FT thread.
Id definitely recommend these two but they may be a bit far away for you, however both were featured on a Hilton promo email I received the other day and have cracking offers available, although they are mainly midweek.

£99 DBB at Coylumbridge and £109 DBB at Dunblane per night for two people.

IMO Dunblane has one of the best Hilton restaurants in Scotland and Coylumbridge has the best Hilton breakfast in the country.

Lots of walking around Coylumbridge but it's not countryhouse style, however Dunblane is the big old building on the hill. If you are able to hire a car there is lots of walking places such as Callander and The Trosachs nearby.

Link to the offer is below for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://hiltonscotland.com/prosecco/
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
My original post was very similar to pall00 , but just to mention hilton St. George's park is very nice, yes the complete opposite of old style country manor but some beautiful countryside to explore and a great spa too.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The properties you are looking for used to exist but no more. Dunkeld, Keswick Lodore, Conrad Mount Juliet (ROI).

In England, I think there's nothing.

Dunkeld was the most recent after Hilton/owner let the property go into the ground, as usual! It had truly exceptional grounds of any Hilton property worldwide- over 300 acres next to the River Tay.

Only Dunblane is a bit like that, but you can't walk out the door and go on a proper walk. If you choose to stay there, make sure you get a room in the main hotel-not the annex. DBB rates have been enhanced to only two courses. Book your table on the website because it can be super busy and IME when its busy, the restaurant is not so good. The spa is quite tired and not connected to the hotel. As mentioned, you need a car.

I would never stay at Coylumbridge. It has terrible reviews on TA and is a kids resort. There's nothing relaxing about that hotel.

Craigendarroch has a very high standard of accommodation, but as its a HGV there's no Gold benefits of any kind.

I quite like Hilton Templepatrick in NI (you did say UK). They have some suites over the golf course that are quite nice and you don't need to go outside to use the pool. Just be aware its really a gold resort. A car would be best to visit.

Many of the Small Luxury Hotels have what you're looking for http://www.slh.com and while it would cost more you will just have a nicer time. If you free yourself of brands, and given you're only Gold its a no-brainer IMO.

Last edited by hugolover; Sep 21, 2017 at 10:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.