Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2003, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
You try Bath (a lovely city)
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=BATHNHN

BRISTOL:
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=BSTBRHN

SWINDON:
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=SWIHNHN

Tewkesbury
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=BHXPHHN

Old Feb 18, 2003, 9:40 am

Thanks for the reply - Bath looks good I will check and see if they have any award availability.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 4:34 am

"Nicest" UK Hilton

Hi there,
I'm after a bit of advice. I have 103,000 points and I want to use them all for a GLON stay at the end of April. I'm in the UK and have promised to take Mrs apx068 somewhere nice.

Here's the sort of thing we're after:

UK based property (For a change I don't want to fly!)
Preferably countryside location
Large pool
Fitness centre
Nice views
Older traditional buildings

I've hunted through the web and come up with a few options in the Lake District and Scotland but I'd be really interested in others opinions.
So, where would you recommend?

Many thanks,
Jason
Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:42 am

Hi Jason. My wife and I toured the UK last fall and stayed at several Hiltons. Using your criteria, the nicest Hiltons that were older buildings that we stayed in were the Dunblane Hydro in Scotland and the Lodore in Keswick in the Lakes District, the Moorside Grange near Manchester in the Peaks District and Pukrup Hall in Tewkesbury in the Cotswolds.

Of these, the Dunblane was the most attractive as it is a renovated Victorian hotel with beautiful grounds. It has a pool and exercise area but in a separate building not attached to the hotel, which was a minor irritation for us. We were upgraded to a beautifully appointed large suite but I'm not sure what the regular rooms are like. (I'm only a gold).

The Lodore is also a renovated older house but the rooms were quite small. The hotel is across the main road from Lake Derwentwater and right behind the hotel is a picturesque waterfall (Lodore Falls). Lake Derwentwater has a boat service that you can use to tour the lake. One of the stops is right by the Hilton. As I recall, for 5GBP, you could get an all-day pass. You are in the midst of the Lake District, with numerous hiking trails all around. The hotel has a small pool and smaller exercise room.

The Moorside Grange had the nicest pool/ exercise facilities, including a day spa. It was much more a modern building, however, so probably not what you're looking for.

Pukrup Hall is a golf resort. It is an older mansion with beautiful rooms, depending on which room you get. We had to move around a bit to get one we liked. We spent our 3 days there exploring the Cotswolds and didn't check out the pool and exercise facilities but the grounds were beautiful and the golf course looked excellent.

For your information, the Dunblane is an Executive/Cat. 2, the Lodore is a Select/ Cat.3, the Pukrup is Select/Cat.2 and the Moorside is an Exec./Cat.2

Have a great time, Robert.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:10 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I know you said you don't want to fly and you want to stay in the UK but maybe teh Conrad in Ireland. (Not the dublin one)

I have heard great reports about it.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 1:31 pm
Original Member

I would second all of what greatwhitenorth has said. Not knowing where in England you are, I would also perhaps add Bath - whilst not a country location nor an old building, the things to do in the area could make up for it. You could also consider York.

If I had a choice, it would be the Lodore, simply because I live in the lakes and love it here !

What do you want to do during you 6 days ??
Old Mar 27, 2003, 1:43 pm
Original Member

And I forgot this place

http://www.hiltonworldresorts.com/Resorts/Dunkeld.html

I've not stay here, so can't comment, but it looks like it has a lot to do during 6 days of scottish weather.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 4:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
IMHO If it is somewhere in the country then it is the Dunkeld Hilton- No contest- i spoke to one of the Glasgow Res staff who said it is where they all try to go but it's always sold out on staff rates.Have never tried Keswick Lodore- Any comments?

Cheers

Alan
Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:06 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:
I know you said you don't want to fly and you want to stay in the UK but maybe teh Conrad in Ireland. (Not the dublin one)

I have heard great reports about it.
</font>
Conrad Mount Juliet, Ireland one of the best Hiltons in Europe meets ALL your criteria.
However is a premium property so you will need a GLONP for 6 days. 100k points will only get you 3 days.
mike
Old May 13, 2003, 3:13 pm

UK Hilton HVAC?

Recently stayed at the Hilton Metropole in London and then the Hilton at Manchester Airport.

The facilities, in general, were fine. However, both seemed to have HVAC problems. Specifically, I wanted more air conditioning and they just weren't able to deliver. In London, I moved from the east wing to the new west wing and while the new wing was better, you could hold your hand up to the air exhaust and barely feel any air come out even when things were cranked tot he max.

I thought it was just a problem with London but Manchester Airport had the same issue (but at least it had a window that opened).

Is this a general problem or was it just a bad time for this as they are transitioning from heating to cooling or something like that?
Old May 13, 2003, 4:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Same problem at the Glasgow Hilton.
Old May 13, 2003, 10:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
This is the UK - HVAC is not one of our strengths. Heavens, the chillers are often turned off in winter.
Old May 14, 2003, 7:54 am

Same problem at the Hilton London Mews last August on a rewards stay. I complained and they restored most of the points to my account.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 3:15 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
UK Hilton's now available through Priceline

Looking at http://www.biddingfortravel.com/ and http://www.cleverbidding.co.uk it would seem that (finally) UK Hilton's are now showing up on Priceline. I bid £60 (2 night total £143 including tax and charges) for a 5* and got the Langham Hilton. I know there are very mixed reports about this hotel and how it treats Diamonds but this price for Central London at the height of Summer is excellent.

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Aug 1, 2003, 5:18 am

But dont expect any upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.