FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   London Hilton on Park Lane {GBR} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/394082-london-hilton-park-lane-gbr.html)

stugart Jan 26, 1999 9:20 am

London Hilton on Park Lane {GBR}

I am booked in this hotel in early May for a few days. Any comments or recommendations regarding room locations etc?

Thanks in advance.

Merry Jan 26, 1999 11:37 am

All rooms are the same size (except for bathrooms). There are 6 floors of Executive rooms which have slightly different furniture.

It is a good hotel, but I think is very over-priced.

If you can, I would suggest changing to the Conrad. It is only marginally more expensive but very much superior.

The Hilton Park Lane has 'Windows' restaurant on the top-floor (28th I think) and Trader Vic's in the basement. There is a cocktail bar which is nice but pretentious.

One word of caution - Many people turn up at the Hilton Park Lane to discover they are actually booked in the Hilton Mews (which is behind the main hotel). The Hilton Mews is very much inferior.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about the room too much. Of course there are plenty of suites, if you could swing one of them....

I hope that helps.
MF

Rudi Feb 3, 1999 2:42 am

I kind of like the (Hilton-) Mews, it has "old" english touch and is "hidden" behind the Hilton.

The Hilton has (also for breakfast-buffet, included in weekend rates) a nice panorama-restaurant just under the roof with a good outlook on London and Hyde Park. As Merry says, the Hilton (as most London Hotels) is overpriced and I prefer a small bed & breakfast accomodation (reminds me of my student-trainee-times in London some 34 years ago).

TheAuditor Feb 3, 1999 9:01 am

I stayed at the Park Lane last year and was quite happy with it. The room size is very nice, and as stated by Rudi, the Hyde Park and Greenway Park both are near by if you like the walk and the fresh air. The Palace also is within walking distance. Hong Kong Park Lane, however, is much better. Stay there if you go that way some day.

Catman Feb 3, 1999 12:36 pm

Many hotels in many of the World cities like London and New YOrk are overpriced. I was lucky to have U=A 50 percent off certificates for the Kensington Hilton (my company also thanks me for my efforts to save a few cents!)

I have stayed at bed & breakfast hotels in Key West and Southern New Jersey. I do lvoe them, but in need of miles I'll often take the often sterile brand name hotels.

Unless HOlly is traveling with me.

Will post a report on teh Kensington Hilton
when I return from LONDON.

FYI: If anyone's coming to New YOrk and needs reasonable rate for hotels I can help. Just e-mail me with dates and I'll give codes.
CATMAN

TheAuditor Feb 3, 1999 2:12 pm

Catman: I can't help nOticing that "O" is very special tO you, as sOme receive special attentiOn when you type. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Don't miss the "O" shOw at BellagiO when you gO tO Vegas.

TheAuditOr http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by TheAuditor (edited 02-03-99).]

GeorgeJ Mar 1, 1999 9:40 am

Anybody ever had any luck in getting a HHonors full week award at the Conrad in London? Tried to book it a couple years ago with a 300,000 HHonors point award with airline included and was told that is was not available on an award for anytime over several months but the Park Lane was; had absolutely no trouble in booking 2 seats to London on AA by giving them the booking code for that award (wasn't going to claim it if I couldn't even get a room..) but getting a reservation for HHonors points at the Conrad was impossible. Pretty sad that the partners have more availability on HHonors awards than Hilton..

Rudi Mar 1, 1999 10:04 am

GeorgeJ: you probably refer back to times when Hilton USA (with the Conrad brand outside US) was owned and managed 100% seperately from Hilton International (that was the trademark reason for creating the "Conrad" brand outside the Americas).

Eastbay1K Sep 26, 2000 10:01 pm

London Hilton - Park Lane

I last stayed there in 1992 and was very disappointed. But now I'm HHGold, and am considering a stay there soon. I am curious as to recent experiences, and how they treated you as HHGold (or even if not gold/plat, if you enjoyed the hotel). Also, do any of you prefer a different central London Hilton more than this one? Why? Neither Cost nor using extra points are not issues with this question. Mahalo

Guy Betsy Sep 27, 2000 11:22 am

You'll get a nicer room, but will not be upgraded to the Executive Floor as that is 'extra'.

The hotel has gone through a renovation recently and everything looks newer especially the gym.

However, be aware of the the very high cost of local phone calls. Like most London hotels, calls are still billed per 'unit' and a 15 minute local call (whether to an internet ISP or not) , I was charged over 15 pounds (US$20).

Be extra diligent in asking that your HHonors points be credited as this hotel is infamous for taking over 4 months in posting accounts. I had to post both of my stays manually.

mike turnbull Sep 27, 2000 4:00 pm

If it helps, I received my statement today. Printed on it is a special offer available at both the London Kensington and Olympia. Available through Dec 31st Single £119, Double £144, both including taxes, (which in the UK is only VAT or sales tax), and includes full breakfast, buffet dinner and half bottle of wine. Both hotels are OK but not what I would call top notch. They both cater for the local exhibition halls and so are patronised by exhibitors.

Eastbay1K Sep 27, 2000 10:39 pm

Thanks, Mike, but again, cost/points is NOT an issue with this stay. Just the hotel's quality, and if any of the "lesser" ones are actually better.

Eastbay1K Nov 15, 2000 10:18 pm

London Hilton - Park Lane

I haven't stayed there in about 8 years, when I had a marginal stay. But I'll be back next week and am curious as to recent feedback. I'm a HHGold, so I'm also curious as to whether they give you a special floor, breakfast, and so on. Thanks for your input.

paris Nov 19, 2000 2:34 pm

I stay there every week and ask for a room on higher floor (24 for instance) they have been renovated and they look fabulous. It is one of my favorite place to stay inLondon. Still, if you are upgraded you still won't benefit from the club lounge or whatever it's called.
I'll be there 4 nights starting Dec 1 : let me know if you are around http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif)

MisterNice Nov 19, 2000 4:11 pm

It is a fabulous hotel, but it has a downside too. I had a recent wonderful stay there during Oct 2000 on the 26th floor (where the lounge is located). I had reserved a Exec Level room for a week. I gave the hotel and lounge a ****** rating. Wonderful!!

Since I had been so nicely pleased, I stopped by a week later to make some new reservations and was told by the front desk clerk when I mentioned possible upgrades and that I was a Diamond HH, "we do not upgrade, even Diamond HH members". The bloke beside him volunteered the same thing. Then I stopped to inquire with the close-by hotel concierge to get a third opinion, he, acting very "British-bored", repeated the same mantra. I booked elsewhere at 1/3 the cost.

Has anyone recently been upgraded there? The HH Diamond T&C sez you should be upgraded to the Exec Level if rooms are available......and a call that day to the Hilton "800" sez many rooms were available.

Is Hilton lying to me again

[This message has been edited by MisterNice (edited 11-19-2000).]