London Hilton on Park Lane {GBR}

Old May 17, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
So i was here this past weekend for leisure. Two rooms, one booked with points and one with weekend certificates. Diamond benefits afforded both rooms/all 5 guests (and a serendipitous 90 minute session with 3 visitors in the lounge one evening.) Both rooms upgraded to exec rooms. That was the good part. But the lounge was rammed every night, only got a table by waiting patiently for 45 minutes. And breakfast was heaving, in the lounge and in the Podium. To compensate they had an overflow area set up downstairs in the Trader Vic space, which was a .... show- cold food/coffee, poorly organized in a space that does not lend itself to self serve buffet (crowded tables and large/clunky chairs.) Net net I am going back to the Conrad or trying the Bankside next time i am in the centre (back in London next week for work but staying out by LHR.)
I suppose there are pros and cons . It is generous and rather kind of the hotel to offer Diamond benefits to all of your party but It would not take many Diamonds with 4 guests to fill the lounge .
Old May 18, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by saaveraward
none. zero. zip. zilch.

Be happy if you don't get downgraded to a pre-reno room.
Ouch. Bankside is not a preferred hotel for our company even though cheaper by 30 GBP. My only Hilton choices are Waldorf and CW.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I'm here now on a last minute points booking that I booked on Monday or Tuesday I think. Sorry for any typos.

Definitely pretty happy with the choice. It was this or Marble Arch given my state of mind, trip coordination, et cetera. Marble Arch was running 70k per night, here 80k. My errands were in this general area and I refuse to take the tube in the summer... it was a very odd booking to say the least. I like thre Marble Arch in this situation when it's not an absurd amount cash per night which was the case this time.

It seems thehotel is pretty much fully booked? I called ahead about early check-in which created some chaos when I arrived. Initially they put me on the 20th floor which is all smoking rooms... yikes. First the key didn't work, then I realised it was not just the room, but the whole floor that was smoking. Moved to the 24th floor at the end of the hall by choice - good thing possibly as my neighbours are all over the place. It's not the greatest room that I could get view-wise (hello, BT Tower!) but it's spacious enough, cosy enough, absurdly clean, well lit, and all the switches are in intuitive locations. It does have one of those crappy rolly beds though - I really expected better bedding. But it suits my needs and I honestly don't care (too much).

The lounge has been decent. I've been in there for most snacks/meals given I'm really not suitable for the general public. Canapes were the same yesterday and today. Quality was good but I wasn't in the mood even though it was a lot of stuff I like - veggie moussaka, fattoush, hummus, a fried cod something, an onion soup, other stuff I can't remember. Excellent cheeses. Best Hilton cheese I've had in England (Bankside let me down). There were only four but they were all delicious and don't ask me what they were. There's a reasonable Italian pinot grigio right now, the sparkling rose is meh. I skipped the liquor selection entirely. Skipped tea today, but was down yesterday. They have some really cool looking desserts. It's not a huge selection but it's delicious. Teas are Twinings. Breakfast in the lounge had smoked salmon. I've been fortunate on timing it seems as even though it's been busy, seating hasn't been an issue. We'll see how Sunday breakfast goes...

On a fun note, while I was in the lounge I inquired about getting a massage thinking they'd give me a list or call somewhere. But that's right, there's an in house spa. Third party, pay cash or card only. They had immediate availability so I had a very very much needed massage about 10 minutes after leaving the lounge. It was good, too. That or I was just very out of it. But there were distinct aspects that were sincerely appreciated regarding sore feet and calves. On the pricey side but we all have our things that we'll pay for... and mine is this.

The staff have been pretty great - which I needed. Somehow, dry cleaning here is not just faster but less expensive (by a fairly significant amount for certain items) than the place near my flat up north. Laundry service - not such much. But it was returned to me folded, in a box, with paper.

Housekeeping keeps giving me more water bottles throughout the day. I appreciate this a lot. They've also refreshed my room more frequently than I'm accustomed to which is appreciated but honestly feels a little creepy.

There's a Pommery bar in the lobby right now that's ridiculously cute. Yesterday, I had a lovely chat with a woman who was working at the Podium and came over to serve me a glass as the space was completely empty. Managed to eat dinner at the Podium tonight given the repetition of the lounge offering - pretty good. Seafood veloute was a bit on the salty side, the lamb was tasty. They could tidy the ladies room in the lobby more frequently.

I would stay again if the points v cash situation works in my favour. This was a last minute odd stop and purely coincidental. It all worked out in my favour for sure.
hugolover, wizla and MoodyB like this.

Last edited by AStarr; Jul 13, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Windows at this property CAN be opened for fresh air.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Had a recent stay here.
Some good and some bad things:

GOOD:

-At check-in we were automatically upgraded to a room on the 18th floor and were asked what kind of view we preferred. (Hyde Park or Westminster/London Eye). Really appreciated that they gave us a choice.

-The views over London are really good provided your room is high enough. No other buildings block the view. (However, anything lower than floor 7 and you will not see much)

-Our bathroom smelled of fresh paint....perhaps a refurbishment/rennovation had recently been done.

-A special service request I made with the guest relations manager was done correctly and for free. Was impressed with this.

BAD:

-For a hotel with such a fancy address (Park Lane is considered the very top of London hotel locations) that typically charges 400 GBP to 600 GBP per night, most of this hotel seemed painfully average. Nothing apart from the address and the nice views felt or looked like a 5 star property. The 4 seasons Park Lane and the Intercontinetal Park Lane a bit further down the road, both look LOT more elegant in their overall apppearance. Just walk into either of their respective lobby areas and you will immediately notice a huge difference.

-The carpet in our room was a old and a bit dirty. The room & bathroom looked very average.

-Breakfast buffet offerings were limited and the overall atmosphere felt way too casual or cheap somehow. For a 500 GBP per night hotel, I expect a much better buffet and nicer eating area.

-The lounge did not feel in any way special or executive. Also, it really should be on a much higher floor to enjoy the views of Hyde Park....it's wasted being on the 1st floor.

-Evening turn-down serice was not done at all in the 2 nights I stayed there.

-At no point did I feel like I was staying at a 5 star property except when I was enjoying the view from our room, or when I would tell the taxi driver our hotel address. The London Conrad St James and Hilton Bankside do a much better job of making you feel you are in a special/fancy hotel.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Sep 24, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Had a recent stay here.
BAD:

-For a hotel with such a fancy address (Park Lane is considered the very top of London hotel locations) that typically charges 400 GBP to 600 GBP per night, most of this hotel seemed painfully average. Nothing apart from the address and the nice views felt or looked like a 5 star property. The 4 seasons Park Lane and the Intercontinetal Park Lane a bit further down the road, both look LOT more elegant in their overall apppearance. Just walk into either of their respective lobby areas and you will immediately notice a huge difference.

-The lounge did not feel in any way special or executive. Also, it really should be on a much higher floor to enjoy the views of Hyde Park....it's wasted being on the 1st floor.

-At no point did I feel like I was staying at a 5 star property except when I was enjoying the view from our room, or when I would tell the taxi driver our hotel address. The London Conrad St James and Hilton Bankside do a much better job of making you feel you are in a special/fancy hotel.
100% agree with the points above. I'm not a fan of the Mayfair area but if one likes staying in an area where billionaires own townhomes then this is the right neighborhood to be in. Other than that, there's not much remarkable about the area.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by triplefives
100% agree with the points above. I'm not a fan of the Mayfair area but if one likes staying in an area where billionaires own townhomes then this is the right neighborhood to be in. Other than that, there's not much remarkable about the area.
There are some great restaurants and bars in the locale and it is very well positioned for Jubilee and Piccadilly lines as well as being fairly central in town.

It is an odd property, I do like it on balance and I have on all recent stays had brilliant suite upgrades, on the other hand the regular rooms are not very large and distinctly average, the lounge is really not to my taste (being a long way from the standards of Bankside) and breakfast in the restaurant is a total zoo.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by triplefives
The Animals In War memorial is very close by... but yes, unless one is into Mayfair type things, it's not great for location
NoY, wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
There are some great restaurants and bars in the locale and it is very well positioned for Jubilee and Piccadilly lines as well as being fairly central in town.

It is an odd property, I do like it on balance and I have on all recent stays had brilliant suite upgrades, on the other hand the regular rooms are not very large and distinctly average, the lounge is really not to my taste (being a long way from the standards of Bankside) and breakfast in the restaurant is a total zoo.

That's pretty much my take on PL...Some fantastic restaurants in the area.
When you get a good upgrade, it's generally a great experience and it harkens back to when it was at the top of it's game. Regular rooms do feel past their sell-by date.
The lounge offerings *can* be very good, but the lounge itself could use a re-think IMHO.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by MoodyB
That's pretty much my take on PL...Some fantastic restaurants in the area.
When you get a good upgrade, it's generally a great experience and it harkens back to when it was at the top of it's game. Regular rooms do feel past their sell-by date.
The lounge offerings *can* be very good, but the lounge itself could use a re-think IMHO.
Completely agree...... when I was there last year the lounge was awesome!, probably the best offerings I’ve ever seen ( check my photos a few posts back ) , however I’ve heard some stories of it being mediocre too from trip advisor and a few colleagues too.
I had a great stay when I was there.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:17 pm

Having had afternoon tea offerings at both PL and Bankside lounges, I'd say PL wins out on this oddly specific lounge category based solely on the sweets (seriously - where are they getting those?)

Breakfast at both lounges can be crowded

The PL lounge booked me a jetlag massage downstairs within 5 minutes of walking in the door so I'm a bit biased... it's also one of the very few lounges I've ever seen staffed (albeit rarely)

I'm also keen on the elevators at PL. And the Pommery pop-up - but again, champagne bias.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just had an unpleasant stay here and will not be returning again. My colleagues and I were super disappointed with the hotel. In no specific order -
  • Revolving door has been broken for the entire week. No big deal where you enter from, but it kind of shows how serious they are about their appearance. The doorman was just standing around smoking when my colleagues got off the cab with their luggage
  • Rooms - I reached at noon. My checked-in room was not ready. I was given another one which was dirty and got it changed. Throughout check-in experience, it seemed like the agent was lazy and hence lying that nothing else is available. My colleague had flooding in his bathroom from the shower and when he asked for a room change he was literally told "So you want a room with a working shower?"
  • Room carpets were dirty and stained.
  • Smell - well I knew what I was getting into when I chose this hotel
  • Breakfast - this one was the most disappointing. 3 out of 4 days I got regular omelette after ordering egg white omelette. Service was painfully slow, even though Podium was about 25% busy. One one of the days we had to wait 30 minutes for a coffee. Spoke to manager to get it to us in take away cups as we were now late to work and literally 2 minutes later the waiter and manager bring the coffee in normal cups. Again - they were not that busy
  • Had some issues during checkout with charges but that was sorted right away.
There was nothing premium about the stay here. Yes, the location is good. Everything else was really sad about the place. The HH promos were good. Next time, I'll try the Waldorf or Canary Wharf.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are so many “terrible” (1/5) reviews on TripAdvisor for this hotel I wonder how much longer it can stay flagged. It’s supposed to the flagship Hilton in the UK and it’s being slated every week.

Management responses are quite unprofessional, not the usual format, like a guest house replying to reviews.

There’s a lot of voucher and discount website deals for the restaurants and bars. It’s not necessary to pay for anything full price here!

Wonder if Hilton are winding it down to become a Britannia .
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Merry
All rooms are the same size (except for bathrooms). There are 6 floors of Executive rooms which have slightly different furniture.

It is a good hotel, but I think is very over-priced.

If you can, I would suggest changing to the Conrad. It is only marginally more expensive but very much superior.

The Hilton Park Lane has 'Windows' restaurant on the top-floor (28th I think) and Trader Vic's in the basement. There is a cocktail bar which is nice but pretentious.

One word of caution - Many people turn up at the Hilton Park Lane to discover they are actually booked in the Hilton Mews (which is behind the main hotel). The Hilton Mews is very much inferior.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about the room too much. Of course there are plenty of suites, if you could swing one of them....

I hope that helps.
MF
I stay at the Park Lane Hilton often. There are very nice high floor rooms facing Hyde Park and the Buckingham Palace gardens, available as an upgrade if you have status. The hotel has a good gym. People watching in the lobby can be fun. Executive Lounge is on the second floor, facing the street and Hyde Park. Yes, it's expensive, but the location is excellent.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
There are so many “terrible” (1/5) reviews on TripAdvisor for this hotel I wonder how much longer it can stay flagged. It’s supposed to the flagship Hilton in the UK and it’s being slated every week.

Management responses are quite unprofessional, not the usual format, like a guest house replying to reviews.

There’s a lot of voucher and discount website deals for the restaurants and bars. It’s not necessary to pay for anything full price here!

Wonder if Hilton are winding it down to become a Britannia .
I got chatting to a guy in the Executive lounge at Hilton Bankside in March 2018, he claimed he was good friends with the head CEO of a cluster of Hilton’s in London and Hilton park lane will be wound down and removed from the chain within three years .
Apparently Bankside will become the new flagship Hilton in London .
At the time I didn’t take too much notice but looks like it could be true....... shame I actually like the park lane Hilton.
hugolover, gav0106 and MoodyB like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.