Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Hilton on Park Lane {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2003, 3:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
The tube needs more time, but is more convenient.

Piccadilly Line from LHR to Hyde Park Corner.
Expect a 45 min. ride (1 hr from terminal to hotel).
Old Mar 7, 2003, 5:10 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Depends on a number of factors:-

When you are travelling?
What is your budget for transport?
How many are travelling?

If arrving on an early flight the roads in to central London from LHR are very busy. Taxi's, but not car services, can use the priority lanes which helps.

Tube is convenient but a pain in the ar5e if you have bags. Heathrow Express and then a taxi is better but if there is two or more of you then the cost of HEX (£14 single) plus a taxi (approx £5) starts getting close to a taxi price and if you add in a bit of cost for the hassle factor then there is not much to choose.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:18 am

I took the tube last time with one bag. It was easy, until I got off the train and went out the tunnel in the wrong direction. I had to walk way out of my way in order to cross the street because there is a rail along the side of the road. Just make sure you go through the part of the tunnel that crosses the street and it's a piece of cake, an easy 5 minute walk.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:56 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyByMike:
I had to walk way out of my way in order to cross the street because there is a rail along the side of the road.</font>
been there done that.

Tube is cheapest but will take about 45 minutes. I would still go w/tube unless you have multiple bags/people travelling w/you. In that case taxi.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 8:51 am

Does this mean a taxi is around 35GBP ?
Old Mar 7, 2003, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Tube is probably the fastest total elapsed time - as described above, Hyde Park Corner Station isn't the most user-friendly and can be very confusing the first few times you use it. You have to do all of your street crossing underground at that intersection. There are stairs that you need to use (a few times) so if you have a lot of luggage it will be inconvenient. Also, the traffic patterns just in front of the hotel are odd (no matter how you get there). You may find yourself using Green Park station later in your stay for trips around town.

The tube ride is under £4.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 9:11 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tube becomes very crowded but since it starts at Heathrow you have plenty of time to get a good seat and arrange your bag(s). Temp control not the best in the tube, either, but overall far faster and certainly very cheap. Once you figure out the tunnels, this stop is very simple to use. Don't miss Apsley House right at the corner (res of Duke of Wellington).
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:41 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Travelling solo, I always take the tube. Some tips:
--get a zone 1-6 all day travelcard for the off-peak fare of £5.10 and you'll be able to travel from 0930-2400 on your arrival date on other London transport in addition to the ride from LHR.
--avoid the ticket machine queues and get your ticket from the office across from the tube entrance. Credit cards accepted.
--check www.thetube.com for expected service outages.
Rich
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
I would agree with others, the tube is the quickest, cheapest mode of transport. Plus, it goes almost right to the hotel. Be sure to bring rolling bags however, and I didn't see an option to the stairs, although there must be an elevator/lift somewhere?

Also, beware that arrival later in the evening can bring an "interesting" crowd aboard the tube. A lot of people from all parts of the world seemed to take the tube from LHR, some rougher looking than others.

As a Caucasian man I felt a little out of place, and would have been more intimidated had I been dressed for business.

All in all I would suggest that for low-cost adventure take the tube, but if you have bags and are more interested in comfort do a taxi.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Last August was my first time there and I also stayed at the Park Lane. I took a limo from this website:

http://www.euro-chauffeur.com/

No hassles. Prepaid before I left using CC. Driver waiting for us at the airport. Nice mercedes S Class cars. Very profesional.

I hope the Park Lane has faster internet than when I was using dial-up in August. You may also notice there are like 10 Hilton hotels within a couple blocks but I think Park Lane is the nicest. Nice breakfast spread. Check your bill. They charge you for breathing in this hotel
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:37 pm

Thanks for the link...{40 foe the E-Class and {65 for the S-Class...is that what you were quoted?
I'll remember your advice about the bill at the Park Lane..Diamond status mean anything?
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:58 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Depending on when you're arriving, you may want to consider the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and then a taxi.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:35 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forgot to add this station has up escalators, but not down and the steps go deep into the bowels of London, not fun with luggage. Because of we took a cab to the train station for our return.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
I personally do the Heathrow Express and a cab every time I go to London - unless I arrive super-early in the morning and it's a weekend - then I take a cab.

HeX is clean, fast, efficient, and there are always plenty of cabs at Paddington.

Note: if LHR access is super-important to you, I'd suggest staying at the Hilton Paddington (above the stn) or the Hilton Metropole (a couple of blocks from Paddington). They are both great business-class hotels, and, imho, have much nicer and more functional rooms. I always stay at the Metropole for the great staff, excellent corner rooms, and good transit access.

&lt;G&gt;
Old Mar 8, 2003, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beach4444:
Thanks for the link...{40 foe the E-Class and {65 for the S-Class...is that what you were quoted?
I'll remember your advice about the bill at the Park Lane..Diamond status mean anything?
</font>
This hotel is a bit snobbish. The week I was there, I must have seen at least 50 $100,000 + cars going in and out of that place. The S-class won't even get a stare from the doorman but you get better service than if you got out of a cab. I noticed this firsthand myself. They don't gurantee anything for any of the levels but it never hurts to ask. The breakfast spread was pretty nice. Basically, it is an expensive hotel no matter how you look at it. Have fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.