Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn Clearwater/St Petersburg Airport {US-FL} (no longer Honors)

Old Jan 20, 05, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum

Hello fellow FTers,

I need to spend 3 nights in Tampa area in mid May. I did a search and many hotels came up, most of them for 60,000 points up and up(for all 3 nights).

EXCEPT the Hampton Inn Clearwater/St. Petersburg Airport which came up at ONLY 22,500 points (7,500 per night).

I will be driving to Tampa downtown every day early in the morning for a conference and driving back at night and crashing before waking up to do it all over again.

Flying in and out of Tampa airport.

I did a search here and am also watching the Priceline bidding forum for clues.

My main question is: Is this Hampton THAT Bad?? The savings in points appears to be very worth it.

I have been trying to get a 3* in the Tampa area for less than $50 but no success so far. At which $ per room is the threshold that you would rather pay instead of Pricelining it/booking it directly??

Any feedback appreciated
Old Jan 21, 05, 10:30 am

Well...

That depends on your definition of "that bad." I stayed there one night while doing business at the St. Pete/Clearwater Airport. It is an outdoor motel-type HI with very limited service. It's located in an industrial part of town with no view, etc. If you are just using it as a crashpad for full business days, and you want to maximize points, it's fine IMHO (I'm a cost-cutter). I'm not so sure I would spend points on it, though. If you're taking your wife on the other hand...
Bottom line - its a clean motel...figure what your commute to Tampa will be, and judge it that way.
Old Jan 21, 05, 11:40 am
Original Member

The new Renaissance hotel near TPA has ben coming up for about $60-65 per night on Priceline. Pretty nice deal for a 4* hotel in Tampa...
Old Jan 21, 05, 1:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
Avoid the Doubletree on Rocky point. It is a dump and they treat Diamonds like crap.

Will never stay their again.