Hilton Winnipeg Airport Suites {CAN}

Old Jan 18, 05, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Winnipeg Airport Suites {CAN}

This is of interest for Canadian Hilton guests.

On Feb 7 05, the Radisson Suite Hotel will be rebranded as the Hilton Winnipeg Suite Hotel.

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=YWGWIHF
Old Jan 18, 05, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
Thanks for the tip

Airbus320:

Thanks for the tip! Will be attending family function in Winnipeg this June, and certainly will consider this property.
Old Jan 18, 05, 9:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat 1MM
The only downside of this is going to Winnipeg.
Old May 4, 10, 6:47 pm

Programs: HH DIA, SPG Plat
Hilton in Winnipeg

I have a trip to Winnipeg coming up this summer and my preference is to stay at a Hilton Hotel.

Looking at the website comes up with 'Hilton Suites Winnipeg Airport'. In general the word 'Airport' is a dealbreaker for me.

Is this really the only choice in town for HHonors stay?
Has anybody stayed there before? I'll be in town with my family. What is it like?
Old May 4, 10, 7:07 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I have not been there, but I share your anguish. Hilton should have a better presence in Winnipeg and many other major Canadian cities esp Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. Options are very inconvenient in these cities and I am a DIAMOND always looking for ways to renew my status which is difficult in Canada.
Old May 4, 10, 7:46 pm

Programs: WJ Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Accor Platinum
I've stayed there many tiimes..most of the rooms are suites so it's great for family travelling. Restaurant is good (actually the food is quite good!), pool & gym standard but they do the trick. Neighbourhood, well..yes it's by the airport, however close to Polo Park (large mall) by car if you're doing shopping, etc. There's nothing of interest (that I'm aware of) within walking distance, but if you have a car, I would say it's a good stay.

The past few stays I've felt the hotel feels like it's trying to cheap out a bit (i.e. fewer towels in rooms, full set of toiletries not set out, no tablecloths in restaurant, etc.). That being said, when I travel to Winnipeg, it still is pretty much my #1 choice. And you are correct, no other Hilton properties in the city (or province for that matter). Hope it helps.
Old May 4, 10, 11:20 pm

Programs: HH DIA, SPG Plat
Thanks for your responses. I agree that west of Toronto, Hilton's presence isn't so hot.
Old May 4, 10, 11:29 pm
alc

I know I am a bit off topic. But I just want to say I really missed the Hampton Inn at Winnipeg. I think it was far better than the Hilton at Airport.
Old Dec 15, 11, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL/CCR; Virgin Gold; Hilton Dia; IHG Plat; Marriott Amb; Hertz PC
Just completed a 1 night stay.

At the Airport, then you need to call the Hotel for the Shuttle using the freephone near doors 1&2 on the baggage reclaim area. The drive to the hotel is less than 5 minutes - the shuttle back to the airport is on demand.

Received ,very friendly welcome and the suite room was a very good size and well-appointed - the rooms at the front of the hotel have a view across to the airport / runway.

Received a Diamond Continental Breakfast voucher which entitled me to "anything on the buffet table as far as the toaster" - selection IMO was poorer than I would expect at a full service Hilton.

There is a bus stop right outside the hotel, and you can take the #15 bus (every 20mins) into the central area - it's about 25mins to Portage. You can also get the #20 bus from the same stop.
Old Sep 9, 13, 10:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
There is a new Hampton Inn Winnipeg just down the street from the Hilton Airport in Winnipeg. It's brand spanking new and everything you want in the latest Hampton Inns. Very nicely done, beautiful lobby, and clean and nicely appointed guest rooms.

No upgrade as a diamond to one of their suites, but honestly I didn't expect one since it's not a Hampton perk (some Hamptons do though!)

Would absolutely stay here again.

Neil
Old Sep 24, 19, 3:51 pm
Community Director

Any updates on the Hilton?

Our first night, we'll be at the hotel without transportation. Does Uber Eats operate in Winnipeg? Do you recommend any restaurants that deliver?
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:01 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, HH Diamond, Aeroplan Diamond
I have stayed here a number of times over the last several years. A lot of it has to do with getting a good corporate rate, but when travelling with family it is nice to have a suite to separate people and calm nerves. It is slowly renovating to keep up with brand standards. A few of the fixtures go back to when the hotel was built but nothing major. Corner suites with a balcony are roomier than standard suites. Unless you are really set on being convenient to the not so large pool I would not choose a pool-side room due to noise.

Once you get your bags just call the front desk to get the shuttle to pick you up from the airport. It is a very short drive. I rarely arrive in time for the weeknight snacks and booze in the lounge. Usually there are replacement coupons for use in the restaurant if the lounge is closed.

The restaurant/room service is generally good in the evening. However, breakfast has been a weakness. Gold/Diamond benefit is continental breakfast with a four dollar upcharge to the full buffet. Ordinarily a good thing, but given that this is a physically small property composed almost entirely of suites there aren't a ton of rooms so the buffet usually gets stale. I have always been allowed to order off the menu instead with somewhat better success. The last time we were there I commented that you would never know that you were eating in the same restaurant when comparing breakfast with supper.

As a sports fan, I like the fact that they have all five TSN channels (Canada's version of ESPN) and at least most of the Sportsnet channels. Torque Brewing has a taproom across Wellington where you can try their different varieties of beer.

Winnipeg is actually the headquarters for skipthedishes.com. While they have been bought by Just Eat, they have over 2,000 employees who are not drivers in the city.

Just to update some of the dated info above, this is now one of four HH properties in Winnipeg. A Hampton Inn is across Berry and a Homewood Suites is near-ish by. A HGI recently opened at the main outlet mall near IKEA. If you need to be close to the airport and are not Gold or Diamond and a suite is not important, the newer Hampton Inn across the street may be an option depending on the rates available. Unfortunately, none of the four are downtown. If the Sparrow family ever converted their properties to one of the Hilton soft brands I would always stay at the Inn at the Forks.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by DavefromSt.Vital; Sep 24, 19 at 10:54 pm

Search this Thread