Hamptons that have Bitten the dust

Old Jan 4, 05, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hamptons that have Bitten the dust

word was that if they didnt ship up they were to be out. when I went to book for PHX I noticed that the infamous HI along I-17 North bound wasnt listed. Exterior corridors- heck I didnt think that Motel 6 would have kept 'em. anyway called and its not only no longer a HI but didnt sound as if they are with any chain at all.
any others out there?
Old Jan 4, 05, 9:38 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I cannot believe it, but the Hampton Inn in Hays, Kansas still seems to be open.

This property has exterior corridors, unless this property underwent some major construction and somehow now has interior corridors.

Anyway, it was one of the worst Hampton Inns at which I have ever stayed, but that was a few years ago...
Old Jan 4, 05, 9:49 am

Programs: DL, US
I noticed recently that the Norfolk Airport Hampton Inn is now a HoJo or something equally cheap. It was an exterior corridor hotel.
Old Jan 4, 05, 10:32 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by craz
word was that if they didnt ship up they were to be out. when I went to book for PHX I noticed that the infamous HI along I-17 North bound wasnt listed. Exterior corridors- heck I didnt think that Motel 6 would have kept 'em. anyway called and its not only no longer a HI but didnt sound as if they are with any chain at all.
any others out there?

Yah its gone - this was my favorite place to get cheap "stays" . Over the summer it could be had for 32 a nite. Wouldnt want to actually sleep in the place though
Old Jan 5, 05, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G, HH Dia, MR Platinum, IHG Amb/Plat, Hyatt Exp
I miss the Hampton Williamsburg Historic District, VA. It was within easy walking distance of Colonial Williamsburg. The others are further out. Sure it had exterior corridors, but was in a nice part of town and well-maintained.
Old Jan 5, 05, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I am making a prediction that the old Oxford, AL HI will bite the dust soon if it hasn't already. A brand new one was under construction one exit up the Interstate with a scheduled opening in December. Mourners will be few. Since it's only 20 miles from Talledega, it will remain open under some lesser moniker - possibly Hobo Inn or Hangdog Inn.
Old Jan 12, 05, 1:36 pm

Yep, older properties are being phased out of the system

any others out there?
I think the fact that most of you are seeing some of the older properties flying competitors' brand flags is primarily due to the new "Make It Hampton" brand initiative. It is my understanding that if the ownership group of the individual properties did not want to or did not wish to renovate their location to be more in line with the newer Hampton locations, their license was not renewed. I stand to be corrected on this issue though.

The Hampton Inns brand recently turned 20 years old and it was decided to "renovate" the brand, so to speak. Result: Make It Hampton. This included the updated and upgraded breakfast, Purity Plus (shampoo, lotion,etc) amenities, curved shower rods, lap desks, etc.. Another benefit is consistency of the brand.
Old Jan 12, 05, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HitonGuy as nice as that is 'Make It Hampton', it did get rid of some shall I say seedy places. However it also brought a rate increase with it . So although I didnt complain too much of HIs in the past, I feel that they are simply Glorified MOTELS. And no way am I willing to pay upwards of $100 (as I found most to be charging lately) for a Motel. In some locals the HI was more $$ than a full service hotel or pretty close to it in rates. I guess it was nice being a Diamond for the past 5-6 yrs, but if the rates stay as is (I assume they will), then I doubt very much if Ill be Diamond come 3/06.
eg; needed a hotel for a night next week by the Orlando airport (bed and shower) HI was $129 Best Western $71. Where did you think I booked? There were places alittle less. But BW has a promo 3X on AA miles. So not only will I save $60+ with tx. But I get 750 AA miles rather then pay an extra $60 and get 100 miles. Had HI been in that same rate range I would have stayed there instead.

Last edited by craz; Jan 12, 05 at 5:42 pm
Old Jan 12, 05, 6:45 pm

Programs: Starting over :( DL Silver National Exec, and Hilton Gold.
another outdoor hampton is the hampton in south roanoke VA....what a ****hole
Old Jan 12, 05, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: WN AL+/CP, IHG AMB/Plat, HH/Mar Gold, UA Dirt
HitonGuy as nice as that is 'Make It Hampton', it did get rid of some shall I say seedy places. However it also brought a rate increase with it .
Agreed. I really like the updated touches, I really do. But several I've looked at are up significantly (+$20-$30/night).

Re PHX, another "cheaper" option is the I-10 West location on Latham. But even that has had its rate jump recently!
Old Jan 13, 05, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
The HI in Oakland, just off of Hegenburger, closed sometime last year. It was good for hotel hopping but was nothing special. The rates were generally okay, but nothing special for a Bay Area Hampton. Now, for a cheap mid-week HI fix during a hotel-hop trip I have to go to Hayward.
Old Jan 13, 05, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G, HH Dia, MR Platinum, IHG Amb/Plat, Hyatt Exp
So although I didnt complain too much of HIs in the past, I feel that they are simply Glorified MOTELS. And no way am I willing to pay upwards of $100 (as I found most to be charging lately) for a Motel. In some locals the HI was more $$ than a full service hotel or pretty close to it in rates. I guess it was nice being a Diamond for the past 5-6 yrs, but if the rates stay as is (I assume they will), then I doubt very much if Ill be Diamond come 3/06.
The only real bargain at Hampton these days is an Opportunity award redemption for 7,500 HHonors points, which I value at around $45 - with no tax and a stay credit. I won't redeem a 20K+ point award there, or pay $100+ for a revenue stay. As at Embassy and Homewood, Diamonds/Golds staying at Hampton are paying extra to cover the free breakfast provided to all patrons including large families - even though Diamonds/Golds get comp breakfast at other Hilton Family brands. And the Hampton in-room amenity is minimal. This is why I prefer competitively-priced Hiltons and Doubletrees where those brands are options in a market.
Old Jan 13, 05, 9:11 pm

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
Burlington NC

The Hampton Inn in Burlington, NC is now a Comfort Inn. Property was redone two years ago and is not too bad.

First thing done to the property after changing the sign -- painting the outside to match the Comfort Inn color scheme.
Old Jan 13, 05, 9:15 pm

There used to be a HI on South Circle Drive in Colorado Springs that got worn out and had definitely seen better days, but I drove by there the other day and it's re-branded as a Comfort Inn and is being re-habbed.
Old Jan 13, 05, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I wish the Dulles Airport property was part of this program. This property is worse than the average motel 6, and they still charge close to or more than $100/night.

Search this Thread