Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort {US-AZ}

El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort {US-AZ}

Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Update

Everyone still pays resort fee ($20/day) which includes many things that we never use. The property is still relatively inexpensive so we just pay the $20 and don't complain.

Diamond receive upgrade to one bedroom casita (if available)
Gold receive upgrade to pool or mountain view room (if available)

Gold still receive continental buffet breakfast
Diamond now receive full hot and cold buffet at no additional charge (as reported on breakfast thread)

Property still well maintained but rooms are going to need a refresh soon I think. They started doing all inclusive rates with pretty good value during high season if you don't want to leave the property to eat.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
They started doing all inclusive rates with pretty good value during high season if you don't want to leave the property to eat.
It would be a tragedy to visit Tucson and not try the local mexican food. Carne seca chimichanga ftw!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:57 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kacee
It would be a tragedy to visit Tucson and not try the local mexican food. Carne seca chimichanga ftw!
That's true--but I am always amazed by the number of people who never leave the resort . . .
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
I have a few days booked here for next week. When I made the reservation the planned renovations to the main pool were supposed to be done by the end of 2015. Now the website says the main pool is closed until mid-January.
I'm not really going for the pool but would have liked to sit there a bit. Should I change properties?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by HelloItsMe
I have a few days booked here for next week. When I made the reservation the planned renovations to the main pool were supposed to be done by the end of 2015. Now the website says the main pool is closed until mid-January.
I'm not really going for the pool but would have liked to sit there a bit. Should I change properties?
Could be too cold anyway. The villa pool is a nice venue anyway if you need a place to relax (provided it is not too crowded since main pool is closed).

Property has been good to us over the past 10 years or so -- one of our Tucson favorites despite a bit of wear and tear here and there.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Could be too cold anyway. The villa pool is a nice venue anyway if you need a place to relax (provided it is not too crowded since main pool is closed).

Property has been good to us over the past 10 years or so -- one of our Tucson favorites despite a bit of wear and tear here and there.
Thanks for the quick reply!
The expected highs are in the low-mid 60s so definitely not great pool weather but nice to know that there will be something. I'm actually visiting family and between them they have 2 pools (!) but just hoping for somewhere to sit and have a drink when hiding away from them.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recent stays here? Hard to believe a Hilton resort in the USA could have no discussion for 3 years!

I'm trying to decide whether to stay. Does anyone know what the current Diamond perks are? Is there a lounge? I guess I'd get hit up for the resort fee even if staying on points?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I believe the resort fee is waived on point stays, but it's been over a year since we were last there. I don't think there is a lounge, but we did get breakfast as diamond last time we stayed there. It's one of my favorite places in Tucson to stay as the views of the mountains from the big courtyard between the buildings is really nice. We got upgraded to a large suite on a 3 night point stay last year. Our daughter loved the pool with the slide.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinMike
I believe the resort fee is waived on point stays, but it's been over a year since we were last there. I don't think there is a lounge, but we did get breakfast as diamond last time we stayed there. It's one of my favorite places in Tucson to stay as the views of the mountains from the big courtyard between the buildings is really nice. We got upgraded to a large suite on a 3 night point stay last year. Our daughter loved the pool with the slide.
Thanks. I'll have my kids with me too. Did they comp your daughter breakfast, or just give you 2 free breakfasts?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Member

My recent (in the last year) point stays have been resort fee free.

They might be knocking down some of the privileges again. Breakfast is back to continental (cold) with upcharge for hot breakfast (see breakfast thread).

Casitas were automatic upgrades for diamonds before (even said so on the card handed out at registration) but last time we had to ask. They would have put us in a junior suite in the main building. Maybe they thought we were too old to walk up and down the hills (which we love to do). Anyway, they had no problem upgrading to casita (which we have stayed in every stay since it reflagged from a Sheraton).

And yes, it is still one of our favorite stays anywhere given the location close to hiking and decent food.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyinMike
No lounge, but I have twice been upgraded to a wonderful 1 br casita, there are good outdoor restaurants, and as you say the mountain views are spectacular, especially when the moon is rising between the hills. Fun hikes up the mountains and bikes to ride for miles add to the experience. But avoid the hot season!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Chose this hotel instead of the JW due to the rather good reviews here. However, disappointed with my experience so far after checking in. I was told by a FD agent who was helping a trainee that I would need to pay $40/night for a Junior Suite even as a Diamond. Like others mentioned, breakfast is only for the continental spread with a $7 upcharge for the hot spread.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Chose this hotel instead of the JW due to the rather good reviews here. However, disappointed with my experience so far after checking in. I was told by a FD agent who was helping a trainee that I would need to pay $40/night for a Junior Suite even as a Diamond. Like others mentioned, breakfast is only for the continental spread with a $7 upcharge for the hot spread.
What is the consensus here? Faced with a comment like that, would you simply accept it and walk away or would you attempt to escalate it to someone more senior in the hotel?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by puchong
What is the consensus here? Faced with a comment like that, would you simply accept it and walk away or would you attempt to escalate it to someone more senior in the hotel?
I had family waiting for me so I decided not to escalate it. However, I will probably mention this on TA after my stay.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just returned from a stay here and loved it! We have traveled and stayed at many Hiltons and a few Hilton resorts and felt this was the best vacation we've had yet. FYI we traveled with a 3yr old and everything was super relaxed with minimal people. I don't know if it's considered off season or what, but we often felt like we had the whole resort to ourselves, especially in the pool where we were often alone. As a Diamond, I booked a 2 bed patio and was auto upgraded to a king bed junior suite which was PERFECT for us as it gave us much more space to spread out (perfect for our kid whom slept on the pull out sofa near the big tv). We made full use of the free Diamond breakfast (kids under 6 eat free) which was wonderful. Yes, there was a $7 upcharge if you want to partake in the FULL buffet, but only my son did that as wife and I just ordered from the menu. There was a resort fee of $25 which was not charged on the night we used our free weekend night certificate, but we were charged the fee even on the days we used our points (I thought stays booked on points did not incur the resort fee?). One point of confusion was that the resort had signs for horse stables, tennis, etc and those items are not part of the resort anymore (stable no longer in service, but dilapidated stable structures still stand near the tennis courts). The tennis courts are not part of the resort which was confusing due to the marketing material stating it was. There is a free 2hr golf course amenity as well as 2hr bike rentals (Diamond back models) , free shuttle to parks, etc. Great views all around and there is an hiking trail nearby.

The AMEX Aspire $250 resort credit came in handy as it took care of all of our dinners at the hotel for the week .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.