Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Why the shock?

I, too, am disappointed that the "ceiling" has been lowered regarding breakfasts. It is a differentiator when one "achieves" Diamond status, for sure.

The "full" breakfast was *never* a Diamond benefit. But how many threads and posts complained about the "inconsistency" of some hotels extending the courtesy of a full breakfast, either cooked to order or buffet, while others offered exactly what the program promised? Answer: too many to count! Over and over, WE posted, "I am (angry, p1ssed, furious, leaving, never staying again) because xxx Hilton "only" gave me a continental breakfast when yyy gave more." Instead of APPRECIATING the (over-) extension of the extra benefit, WE b1tched that we were somehow being deprived at hotels that properly delivered what the program stated they would (and should).

If I was a Hilton manager/owner who honored the HHonor specs, it would bother me that I was being villified for living up to the deal. One of FT's favorite mantras is "Consistency, consistency, consistency." Except when we DON'T want consistency; when we want SPECIAL, MORE, EXTRA. Well, it's either one or the other, folks. WE, through the petulant, ridiculous behavior of some, created the conditions that resulted in this "enforcement" of "Consistency, consistency, consistency."

On any day, we read posts by our self-declared, all-important selves that we "deserve," take your pick: free food, free drink, free upgrades, free parking, free internet, free lounges, free upgrades, special checkin, free boot licking. And did I mention free upgrades?

There are many Hiltons that oppose even the limited breakfast benefit. To them, "giving away" their product devalues it. Full service hotel restaurants don't serve pre-made "food" on styrofoam plates with plastic utensils in a cafeteria environment and prepared (warmed up) by the janitor. They have investments and costs and overhead, and believe that their menu is not for freeloaders (not my term or belief). If it's worth eating, they posit, it's worth paying for. So, the continental "solution," while not thrilling anyone, seems to be the middle ground.

My own opinion is that hotel owners are battling back against the "unfunded mandates" that have been imposed on them by franchisors who make edicts but don't have to pay for them. The brands created a gigantic monster with free-to-guest internet and a big pain in the as$ with the upgrade policies that turn front desks into battlegrounds nightly. "Free" food may be their line in the sand. I once was told by a hotel manager, "I would love to give away all my free food. Problem is, it's NOT free. It costs. A lot. And I have to order it, receive it, properly store it, prepare it, serve it and clean it all up. When that's all free, come talk me."

I expect this is the future.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by tennster
I, too, am disappointed that the "ceiling" has been lowered regarding breakfasts. It is a differentiator when one "achieves" Diamond status, for sure.

The "full" breakfast was *never* a Diamond benefit. But how many threads and posts complained about the "inconsistency" of some hotels extending the courtesy of a full breakfast, either cooked to order or buffet, while others offered exactly what the program promised?...

On any day, we read posts by our self-declared, all-important selves that we "deserve," take your pick: free food, free drink, free upgrades, free parking, free internet, free lounges, free upgrades, special checkin, free boot licking. And did I mention free upgrades?
My original post was (1) meant to inform my fellow travelers of a major change at Hilton Checkers, and (2) to express my disappointment with the breakfast decision. As I said, depsite the change this particular Hilton property has earned my loyalty not because of the breakfast, but because the rooms are comfortable and quiet, the staff is courteous (when I walk through the door every staff member welcomes me by name), the price is right and the location is convenient.

Clearly, Diamond status does not entitle me to a full breakfast. Nevertheless, for the past year Hilton Checkers consistently has been giving it to me. Management -- either local or corporate -- made a change that is a takeaway. I don't think it is self important to be disappointed or dissatisfied with the decision. Hilton and the rest of the travel industry for years have been tellling us that if we are loyal to a certain brand, then we will earn certain rewards. So yes, in certain circumstances I do believe that I "deserve" the certain perks -- whether it be at a Hilton or on an airline -- that I am told I will get by spending my money regularly on a certain brand. In this case, breakfast is not that big a deal to me. (My reaction would be different and stronger, however, if free Internet access was taken away as well.)

Last edited by thumbun; Apr 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'd be happy to waive breakfast altogether for the 1000 points, but unfortunately the room upgrade goes along with it!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: Southwest CP A List, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Pure Platinum, Body Shop VIP
Please Explain This Then....

@Tennster, I carefully read your rationale on behalf of Blackstone.

Please explain to me why you can now stay at a Hampton Inn (and pay one half or one third the price of the cost to stay at a Hilton branded property) and they are happy to provide a hot breakfast to everyone....

Where is the rationale to your best and most loyal customers who put thousands of dollars into Blackstone's pockets... at the most expensive Hilton properties?

And "Consistency" also means staying the course even when things may get tough- sorry that eggs and milk cost more- maybe Hilton will get it on the front end by raising rates for a one night stay or parking charges...

Taking away a breakfast and giving 1000 points is just UNAMERICAN...

Isn't this worth a further investigation- rather than shrugging your shoulders and saying "oh well"...?

And by the way, Hyatt does not believe in your rationale...

Last edited by Thomas Parke D'Invilliers; Apr 11, 2011 at 3:42 pm
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'd be happy to waive breakfast altogether for the 1000 points, but unfortunately the room upgrade goes along with it!
Saw what?

At one penny a point, that's a nominal $10 and a full breakfast at Checkers costs much more than that ---- to say nothing of the fact that the points may not even be worth a penny.

Bob H
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: United 1P, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
How about the amenity card for wine, cheese, movie or fruit for diamonds? Is that still there?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BobH
Saw what?

At one penny a point, that's a nominal $10 and a full breakfast at Checkers costs much more than that ---- to say nothing of the fact that the points may not even be worth a penny.

Bob H
That's assuming that the full breakfast at Checkers is worth (to each individual) what it costs. Obviously it is for some as they choose to pay for breakfast. For someone such as myself, whose ideal breakfast is some scrambled egg on toast with a banana and OJ, its probably worth taking the 1000 points, just picking up a banana and OJ somewhere, and wishing I had the scrambled eggs as well. To each his own.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: Southwest CP A List, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Pure Platinum, Body Shop VIP
Let Me Put A 1000 HH Points In Prespective...

A thousand HH Honor points may really only be worth a half a penny per point if you use them at a property that requires 40,000 points for a one night stay and the rack rate is $200/night. If you are able to use it for a night where the rack rate is higher your point per penny gets closer to a penny. So, we are talking 5$ bucks here.

But you should know this, as a HYATT Diamond member upon checkin you receive a choice of an amenity (food and beverage- red/white wine bottle- fruit/snacks) and if you waive the amenity you receive a 1000 Hyatt points. Sometimes they will give you the amenity and the POINTS- because they value you as a Diamond member- they understand the business of hospitality.

By the way, you still receive a full hot American breakfast at Hyatt, and to get a free night in a high end Hyatt Regency property costs you somewhere between 12,000-20,000 points.

I think as a Hilton Diamond Member you are getting ripped off if you take their 1000 points in lieu of breakfast. Really a disgrace by Hilton/Blackstone to play this shell game.

Just my 2 cents which is still worth more than a HH Honors point.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I reiterate I'll not call "the sky is falling" or even a piece of it until it's proved ALL Hiltons have been instructed to, and will, eliminate full breakfasts for Diamonds. I do understand ONE property here has been reported to do so, and that they have claimed it was the devil, er, Blackstone / Hilton that made them do it, but I'm going the route of the Missouri mule on this one and hold my dudgeon until I see the proof it's universal.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The "full" breakfast was *never* a Diamond benefit. But how many threads and posts complained about the "inconsistency" of some hotels extending the courtesy of a full breakfast, either cooked to order or buffet, while others offered exactly what the program promised? Answer: too many to count! Over and over, WE posted, "I am (angry, p1ssed, furious, leaving, never staying again) because xxx Hilton "only" gave me a continental breakfast when yyy gave more." Instead of APPRECIATING the (over-) extension of the extra benefit, WE b1tched that we were somehow being deprived at hotels that properly delivered what the program stated they would (and should).

If I was a Hilton manager/owner who honored the HHonor specs, it would bother me that I was being villified for living up to the deal. One of FT's favorite mantras is "Consistency, consistency, consistency." Except when we DON'T want consistency; when we want SPECIAL, MORE, EXTRA. Well, it's either one or the other, folks. WE, through the petulant, ridiculous behavior of some, created the conditions that resulted in this "enforcement" of "Consistency, consistency, consistency."

This is FT. It attracts people who want to rant. Most of us understand what we are entitled to, and know when we are getting something extra, and appreciate the extra. And if I were a hotel manager, I would know that a percentage of guests will villify my hotel regardless. I would look to see if their complaint was valid.

My own opinion is that hotel owners are battling back against the "unfunded mandates" that have been imposed on them by franchisors who make edicts but don't have to pay for them. The brands created a gigantic monster with free-to-guest internet and a big pain in the as$ with the upgrade policies that turn front desks into battlegrounds nightly. "Free" food may be their line in the sand. I once was told by a hotel manager, "I would love to give away all my free food. Problem is, it's NOT free. It costs. A lot. And I have to order it, receive it, properly store it, prepare it, serve it and clean it all up. When that's all free, come talk me."
I'm not so sure that it is the "unfunded mandates" that is at fault here. The The last couple of years have been really rough sledding in the hotel industry. Properties that have had 75% occupancy have seen that go to 65%, and have seen a 15-20% decrease in their average daily rate in addition. They are looking for any way they can find to minimize their losses.

The front desks should not be upgrade battlegrounds. What makes this so is hotels that do not upgrade elites despite having space available in the upgrade category. Good hotels that do not do this get tarred with the brush of the bad hotels who do it. Many people think that Hilton runs the hotels, rather than just the booking system, so if they have a bad experience like this one, they think that all Hiltons will do this. Since they are basically put in the position of taking the front desk clerk's word for the availability of a space-available upgrade, and in the past have found the word of Hilton front desk clerks to be worthless, they are skeptical. I don't see this as the fault of the people who run the booking system.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I just came from a 3 night stay at the checker, very nice property.

We had the offer of an upgrade to a suite, however we needed two beds and only a king suite was available.

Was very disappointed as many were about breakfast. One of the reasons we chose this hotel and paid a higher price for it than the JW Marriott (which was much closer to the convention center) was the internet and the breakfast, which we had calculated to offset some costs.

When I went to the desk to complain, her response was very scripted 'we confirm to hhonors policy, etc' but did tell me that this is not the first complaint she was received.

She did offer to send something up to our room as an apology, which was appreciated (and declined). Decided to have breakfast at the starbucks across the street for the next two days. Nice hotel...would have been much happier if I had paid $100 less per night to stay loyal to the brand.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:50 am

Blackstone Mandate- Not House Decision

Originally Posted by JDiver
I reiterate I'll not call "the sky is falling" or even a piece of it until it's proved ALL Hiltons have been instructed to, and will, eliminate full breakfasts for Diamonds. I do understand ONE property here has been reported to do so, and that they have claimed it was the devil, er, Blackstone / Hilton that made them do it, but I'm going the route of the Missouri mule on this one and hold my dudgeon until I see the proof it's universal.
I know for a fact that this is Blackstone walking through the interior of the property and telling house management that they are being too generous in providing a full breakfast to their Diamond and Gold Honor members.

Blackstone is effectively gutting the Hilton Diamond status and if you remember only begrudgingly offered "free Internet" late last year after every other property was offering it free to their most loyal guests.

Let me reiterate- Blackstone is not a hotelier. They have no idea about hospitality. They are right now positioning HILTON for a public offering and could care less about the Honors loyalty program. They are simply trying to squeeze every last nickel of profit when they flash the books to the Wall Street underwriters.

Does any Hilton/Blackstone representative here on FT want to dispute this with me?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are a frequent guest there, then I am sure if you have the right word with the right person that you will continue to have your free breakfast.

The funny thing is that several years ago, one of my frequent and regular hotels changed chains, before it did so I was assurred by their CS person that I would continue to receive all the same perks, etc as I had become accustomed even though they were not given by the new chain. One of which was breakfast, something which quite frankly I do not eat in 99 out of 100 stays. The only time I generally use it is either if I have to have a breakfast meeting or I am travelling with my family.

Low and behold, two years later I was travelling with my family and had breakfast and was surprised to see at checkout that I was billed for it. Of course my protestations fell on deaf ears as by now there had been huge staff turnover and they had changed computer systems, etc and there was no record existing that I had been "promised" free breakfast. They did not relent, and I no longer stay there.

My assistant received a call from them not too long ago inquiring as to why I no longer stay there. She mentioned the breakfast thing, and was immediately told that could have it again and they would even CREDIT me the amount from before. That's nice, I am not staying there.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by hfly
My assistant received a call from them not too long ago inquiring as to why I no longer stay there. She mentioned the breakfast thing, and was immediately told that could have it again and they would even CREDIT me the amount from before. That's nice, I am not staying there.
Cutting off your nose to spite your face, eh? Oh well...your choice. But I would have taken into account the massive changes inherent in any brand change, and if I still preferred the property, would stay there again, especially given their apparent willingness to win back previous guests.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I am actually happier now in the two other properties that I stay in in that city. Its very competitive out there, and they blew it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.