Hilton Buenos Aires {ARG}

Reply

Old Jun 16, 19, 7:01 am
  #526  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 11,795
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
Yes, but it is USD $85 each way. You can take a private car service ("remis") for about USD $35, or $28-$30 from Taxi Ezeiza but they take only cash, while the private car services accept credit cards. We used a private car ("remis") service called Tienda Lión which accepts credit cards. With these services, you make a reservation online or by phone (I had to do it by phone because the web form didn't let me select how many people or what date), then go their window in the arrivals hall at EZE, identify yourself, pay, and your driver appears and shows you to your car, helping with luggage. The price includes tolls and fees and driver tip. You could also just show up at their window without a reservation and likely they will have a car and driver and take you. There are also shuttle busses from companies such as that run by Tienda Lión. Then there's Uber, which estimates about half of what the private car services cost. I ended up not opting for Uber because of the FUD surrounding them (some people say they operate in Bueonos Aires, some say they have been shut down, others say they do operate but drivers will cancel once they realize you will pay by credit card as it must take Uber some time to pay the drivers. These people say Uber has an option, valid in Argentina, to pay in cash.
I've been to Buenos Aires quite a few times.

Uber worked well enough last week at EZE. OK, it's relative - I had to go over to Terminal C. I reckon it's a case of YMMV. But the driver I got was perfectly happy with the credit card reservation, and the drive - including tolls - was less than AEP700.

Taxi Ezeiza takes credit cards AEP1290. Cars can be shabby.

Booking and paying for Tienda Leone remise by credit card at the airport took only a couple of minutes. Drivers were waiting. New car, helpful driver: but it's pricey at almost AEP1600. Even these divers will try to avoid confrontation with regular taxi drivers by not dropping you off by the hotel doors.

The Tienda Leone bus (AEP400) is fine, but best if you are staying close to the terminal, and only if you are relaxed about time. The Hilton is easy walking distance if you are not encumbered by lots of luggage: so is the Hoiday Inn Express.
There's an onward transfer service from the terminal to other hotels, but there can be a considerable wait time. Taxis are available of course, and fares are very low within the city.

Back to the airport I took Uber. Kind of easy from the Hilton, but if you are staying in the centre you'll have to agree a designated pick-up spot just outside the centre (private cars need a permit to enter those streets).


On all journeys back to the airport, be aware that drivers might try to avoid tolls. This is particularly the case on fixed fare trips (eg Taxi Ezeiza), where "accidents on the toll road" are the excuse.





But really, the Hilton is a terrible disappointment. The big brands are badly represented in Buenos Aires. The Hilton's rooms are old, and getting decidedly shabby. Executive rooms are, of course, no different to regular rooms, just as shabby as the rest. And there'll be no fruit in your room, no coffee machine, no drinks in the mini-bar, no glasses for drinks and there'll be paper cups for making tea. It isn't in anyway the luxury hotel it self-promotes.

Of those big brands, the IC is about the best of a not very impressive bunch.
RafKa likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 8:43 am
  #527  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: ORD and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 72,455
The Park Hyatt is not too shabby.
ILuvParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:19 am
  #528  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ATL, LAX
Programs: Delta PM, MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premiere
Posts: 461
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I've been to Buenos Aires quite a few times.

Uber worked well enough last week at EZE. OK, it's relative - I had to go over to Terminal C. I reckon it's a case of YMMV. But the driver I got was perfectly happy with the credit card reservation, and the drive - including tolls - was less than AEP700.

Taxi Ezeiza takes credit cards AEP1290. Cars can be shabby.

Booking and paying for Tienda Leone remise by credit card at the airport took only a couple of minutes. Drivers were waiting. New car, helpful driver: but it's pricey at almost AEP1600. Even these divers will try to avoid confrontation with regular taxi drivers by not dropping you off by the hotel doors.

The Tienda Leone bus (AEP400) is fine, but best if you are staying close to the terminal, and only if you are relaxed about time. The Hilton is easy walking distance if you are not encumbered by lots of luggage: so is the Hoiday Inn Express.
There's an onward transfer service from the terminal to other hotels, but there can be a considerable wait time. Taxis are available of course, and fares are very low within the city.

Back to the airport I took Uber. Kind of easy from the Hilton, but if you are staying in the centre you'll have to agree a designated pick-up spot just outside the centre (private cars need a permit to enter those streets).


On all journeys back to the airport, be aware that drivers might try to avoid tolls. This is particularly the case on fixed fare trips (eg Taxi Ezeiza), where "accidents on the toll road" are the excuse.





But really, the Hilton is a terrible disappointment. The big brands are badly represented in Buenos Aires. The Hilton's rooms are old, and getting decidedly shabby. Executive rooms are, of course, no different to regular rooms, just as shabby as the rest. And there'll be no fruit in your room, no coffee machine, no drinks in the mini-bar, no glasses for drinks and there'll be paper cups for making tea. It isn't in anyway the luxury hotel it self-promotes.

Of those big brands, the IC is about the best of a not very impressive bunch.
How recent was your visit to the Hilton, I was there April 2018 and had a completely different impression. The Lounge was comfortable, seldom crowded and the food and drinks were plentiful and the service was excellent. I found nothing wrong with the room on the Executive level and, as a Lifetime Titanium Elite, I have seen my fair share of rooms. I would surprise me if the hotel deteriorated in such a short tome.
danola is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:20 am
  #529  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 25,358
Originally Posted by danola View Post

How recent was your visit to the Hilton, I was there April 2018 and had a completely different impression. The Lounge was comfortable, seldom crowded and the food and drinks were plentiful and the service was excellent. I found nothing wrong with the room on the Executive level and, as a Lifetime Titanium Elite, I have seen my fair share of rooms. I would surprise me if the hotel deteriorated in such a short tome.
Lifetime Hilton Titanium Elite? I don’t think so...
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:37 am
  #530  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ATL, LAX
Programs: Delta PM, MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premiere
Posts: 461
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I've been to Buenos Aires quite a few times.

Uber worked well enough last week at EZE. OK, it's relative - I had to go over to Terminal C. I reckon it's a case of YMMV. But the driver I got was perfectly happy with the credit card reservation, and the drive - including tolls - was less than AEP700.

Taxi Ezeiza takes credit cards AEP1290. Cars can be shabby.

Booking and paying for Tienda Leone remise by credit card at the airport took only a couple of minutes. Drivers were waiting. New car, helpful driver: but it's pricey at almost AEP1600. Even these divers will try to avoid confrontation with regular taxi drivers by not dropping you off by the hotel doors.

The Tienda Leone bus (AEP400) is fine, but best if you are staying close to the terminal, and only if you are relaxed about time. The Hilton is easy walking distance if you are not encumbered by lots of luggage: so is the Hoiday Inn Express.
There's an onward transfer service from the terminal to other hotels, but there can be a considerable wait time. Taxis are available of course, and fares are very low within the city.

Back to the airport I took Uber. Kind of easy from the Hilton, but if you are staying in the centre you'll have to agree a designated pick-up spot just outside the centre (private cars need a permit to enter those streets).


On all journeys back to the airport, be aware that drivers might try to avoid tolls. This is particularly the case on fixed fare trips (eg Taxi Ezeiza), where "accidents on the toll road" are the excuse.





But really, the Hilton is a terrible disappointment. The big brands are badly represented in Buenos Aires. The Hilton's rooms are old, and getting decidedly shabby. Executive rooms are, of course, no different to regular rooms, just as shabby as the rest. And there'll be no fruit in your room, no coffee machine, no drinks in the mini-bar, no glasses for drinks and there'll be paper cups for making tea. It isn't in anyway the luxury hotel it self-promotes.

Of those big brands, the IC is about the best of a not very impressive bunch.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post

Lifetime Hilton Titanium Elite? I don’t think so...
You missed the point, it was for the number of times I’ve been in hotel rooms not that my status is with Hilton.
danola is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:00 am
  #531  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: UK & Ireland
Programs: BAEC Silver; KLM Flying Blue Gold; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I've been to Buenos Aires quite a few times.

Uber worked well enough last week at EZE. OK, it's relative - I had to go over to Terminal C. I reckon it's a case of YMMV. But the driver I got was perfectly happy with the credit card reservation, and the drive - including tolls - was less than AEP700.

Taxi Ezeiza takes credit cards AEP1290. Cars can be shabby.

Booking and paying for Tienda Leone remise by credit card at the airport took only a couple of minutes. Drivers were waiting. New car, helpful driver: but it's pricey at almost AEP1600. Even these divers will try to avoid confrontation with regular taxi drivers by not dropping you off by the hotel doors.

The Tienda Leone bus (AEP400) is fine, but best if you are staying close to the terminal, and only if you are relaxed about time. The Hilton is easy walking distance if you are not encumbered by lots of luggage: so is the Hoiday Inn Express.
There's an onward transfer service from the terminal to other hotels, but there can be a considerable wait time. Taxis are available of course, and fares are very low within the city.

Back to the airport I took Uber. Kind of easy from the Hilton, but if you are staying in the centre you'll have to agree a designated pick-up spot just outside the centre (private cars need a permit to enter those streets).


On all journeys back to the airport, be aware that drivers might try to avoid tolls. This is particularly the case on fixed fare trips (eg Taxi Ezeiza), where "accidents on the toll road" are the excuse.





But really, the Hilton is a terrible disappointment. The big brands are badly represented in Buenos Aires. The Hilton's rooms are old, and getting decidedly shabby. Executive rooms are, of course, no different to regular rooms, just as shabby as the rest. And there'll be no fruit in your room, no coffee machine, no drinks in the mini-bar, no glasses for drinks and there'll be paper cups for making tea. It isn't in anyway the luxury hotel it self-promotes.

Of those big brands, the IC is about the best of a not very impressive bunch.
:@IAN-UK Thanks for your feedback; you does not sound very positive on this hotel. Any feedback about the breakfast? I'll be in Buenos Aires in September and choosing between the Hilton and the Curio
MP001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 11:08 am
  #532  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 11,795
Originally Posted by MP001 View Post
:@IAN-UK Thanks for your feedback; you does not sound very positive on this hotel. Any feedback about the breakfast? I'll be in Buenos Aires in September and choosing between the Hilton and the Curio
The hotel is fine if you want the security of a known quantity even if it is low in either luxury or charm. In essence this is just like the run of the mill Hiltons you find in odd corners of the US. It would be totally eclipsed by DoubleTrees in many parts of the world.

Lounge breakfast is OK if you get access: nothing special - but i'm happy with coffee, cereal and some fruit. i tried once downstairs, but it was just so crowded i turned round and went back up to the lounge.

Be careful with the Curio. It looks cutsey on the corner of the square, but they tell me rooms are small and not well sound insulated. Plus the charm of having he weekend fair/maket outside your hotel might wear off quickly
IAN-UK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 11:32 am
  #533  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 11,795
Originally Posted by danola View Post

How recent was your visit to the Hilton, I was there April 2018 and had a completely different impression. The Lounge was comfortable, seldom crowded and the food and drinks were plentiful and the service was excellent. I found nothing wrong with the room on the Executive level and, as a Lifetime Titanium Elite, I have seen my fair share of rooms. I would surprise me if the hotel deteriorated in such a short tome.


I was here this week.


But let's just leave it as subjective judgements.

The place just doesn't cut it for me as even a near-luxury establishment. Paper cups, out dated bathrooms, grim furniture and brown as the signature colour in the room - just not for me.

The lounge is fine. Nothing special: cheap food and cheap wine, but helpful and friendly staff make up for a lot.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jun 16, 19 at 12:44 pm Reason: revised
IAN-UK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 1:32 pm
  #534  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CLT > CAE > IND > ATL > PDX > CLT
Posts: 2,568
Oh no. Getting nervous about my booking at the Curio for later this year due to the comments above. We are there Saturday through Tuesday.
MissJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 2:08 pm
  #535  
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 24,522
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
But really, the Hilton is a terrible disappointment. The big brands are badly represented in Buenos Aires. The Hilton's rooms are old, and getting decidedly shabby. Executive rooms are, of course, no different to regular rooms, just as shabby as the rest. And there'll be no fruit in your room, no coffee machine, no drinks in the mini-bar, no glasses for drinks and there'll be paper cups for making tea. It isn't in anyway the luxury hotel it self-promotes.

Of those big brands, the IC is about the best of a not very impressive bunch.
That is a shame, as that review is quite different to what I experienced greater than 14 years ago.

I cannot believe that much time passed since I posted about my experiences earlier in this discussion.

I also stayed at The Plaza hotel property when it was once a Marriott; and that was a good experience as well...
Canarsie is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 4:09 pm
  #536  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 11,795
Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
Oh no. Getting nervous about my booking at the Curio for later this year due to the comments above. We are there Saturday through Tuesday.
Note: I didn't stay there, I just picked up some friends who were guests. My comments reflected what they said about room size and noise. But I DO know you wont be able to get in and out by car while the fair/market is on - but that's probably not a bad thing And the market is loads of fun, IF you like that sort of thing! I don't but I know many do .....
IAN-UK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 8:02 pm
  #537  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: EZE
Programs: UA Gold,Delta Silver Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, HH Diamond, EENational, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 389
Originally Posted by catcher1 View Post
We used Uber several times a couple of weeks ago, including EZE-Hilton. For a pickup at Hilton, the bellman told us that Uber often avoids pickups at the hotel entrance and picks up on the adjacent street, because taxi drivers have power and don't appreciate the competition. Once, the Uber driver asked one of us to sit up front to disguise the service. But everything always worked out, and payment was by CC.
yes if traveling solo you do need to sit up front.
Brandinho1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 19, 8:04 pm
  #538  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: EZE
Programs: UA Gold,Delta Silver Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, HH Diamond, EENational, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 389
Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
The Park Hyatt is not too shabby.
would say The Park Hyatt is by far the best chain property in Buenos Aires
Brandinho1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 19, 8:58 am
  #539  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CLT > CAE > IND > ATL > PDX > CLT
Posts: 2,568
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Note: I didn't stay there, I just picked up some friends who were guests. My comments reflected what they said about room size and noise. But I DO know you wont be able to get in and out by car while the fair/market is on - but that's probably not a bad thing And the market is loads of fun, IF you like that sort of thing! I don't but I know many do .....
Market sounds fun to me.

Okay, that's not bad. I was hoping it wasn't another one of those "reviews look great but prepare to be really disappointed" scenarios. I had one of those not too long ago and amounted to my worst hotel stay in quite a while. I left a calm, honest, review and it magically disappeared.

We booked one of the larger room categories.
MissJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:42 am
  #540  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: VPS, previously SEA and PIT
Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
Oh no. Getting nervous about my booking at the Curio for later this year due to the comments above. We are there Saturday through Tuesday.
We REALLY enjoyed the Curio last year when we were there. Yes, the rooms are a bit small and it wasn't soundproof, but it also wasn't that loud. The property, especially if for a leisure trip, is well located in the San Telmo neighborhood, with great restaurants and places to drink nearby. It's definitely a bit easier to get to via taxi instead of public transit, but it's also not extremely far (6-8 blocks?) form the subway. The property was definitely unique and I'd recommend it.
MissJ likes this.
dmarge18 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread