Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn Key West (1st one) {US-FL} (no longer Honors)

Old Nov 30, 04, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC

I searched for reviews on this place but didn't find any. Maybe somebody else knows better terms to search? I'd be surprised if there are no reviews on the place. Anyway, has anybody stayed there? What were your thoughts?

We have reservations at both the Hampton Inn and the Doubletree Grand Key in Key West. I've found plenty on the Doubletree to know that it's nice but not without faults. Our rate at the Doubletree is $247.50 for 12/29 to 1/2 and $188.10 for 1/2 to 1/4. The rate at the Hampton is $229 for 12/29 to 12/31, $249 for 12/31 to 1/2 (Diamond Guarantee Rate) and $132.05 for 1/2 to 1/4. Both are for a room with 2 beds and 3 people. Each property has confirmed they have rollaways because we would all like our own bed.

As a diamond I'm going to get breakfast at the Doubletree, but we would have to pay for the 3rd person. At the Hampton breakfast is free for all. The Doubletree is more of a resort, but it appears the Hampton has a better location to downtown. The Doubletree has a beach but from the reviews it smells like sulfur so isn't too usable. Both have pools with bars which is very important. I like that the Hampton has bicycle & waverunner rentals on-site.

Given that there are 3 single wage earning adults, the rate isn't too important because it's split in 3. While a good room is nice, we are more concerned with proximity, staff and relaxtion & fun. I had tentatively decided on the Hampton but in another thread a member advised to stay at the Doubletree. I am a Diamond member but given the time period I doubt that will get me much preference at either property.

Has anyone stayed at the Hampton and can advise? The reviews on Trip Advisor are much better for the Hampton.

http://www.hamptoninnkeywest.com
http://www.grandkeyresort.com
Old Nov 30, 04, 1:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
Did you do a search here for info on the Hampton? I haven't stayed there but have driven by it often - it looks like a dump. I have nothing against Hamptons, stay at them all the time on business. It's older, with outside entrances for each room I believe. The DoubleTree is very nice with a nice pool/bar area and a decent restaurant. The Hampton is "closer" to downtown, but not close enough to walk. The DT runs a shuttle downtown all day, I think until around 11:30PM. The DT has some very nice suites, maybe over New Years they'll be booked, but at least you may get upgraded. Likely NO chance of that at the Hampton.
Old Nov 30, 04, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by arctictraveler
Did you do a search here for info on the Hampton?
I did and I couldn't find anything with searches of:

1. Hampton Inn Key West
2. Hampton Key West
3. Hampton Inn EYW
4. Hampton EYW
Old Nov 30, 04, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold, *wood Gold, USAir, Delta
I stayed at the Hampton Inn for one night seven years ago. At the time it was a convenient place to crash while waiting for my other reservation to open up. No glaring deficiencies or problems, other than the management seemed to be having problems with locals using the hot tub. As stated earlier, neither location is within walking distance of Duval St. If it were me, Id go with the free shuttle I recall a late night cab ride being much higher than expected.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 30, 04, 8:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Be careful about the Hampton Inn in Key West. A couple years ago I had a client who was attacked by bed bugs at that property. I had to actually sue them. I still have the corpse of one of the little critters in the file.
Old Nov 30, 04, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL FO, UA Silver, IHG Spire IC, MR Gold, RCL D+, X Elite
I stayed at this property about a year ago. It wasn't luxurious by any means, but there was nothing wrong with it. The staff was nice, and breakfast was good....and free.

Search this Thread