Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Earn Bonus Hilton Honors Points When Renting a Car: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2000, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

Do HH members get the car rental bonus at Embassy Suites? How about other members of the Hilton family besides Hilton itself? I haven't been getting them at Embassy Suites and they tell me that they don't participate in the car rental bonus?

Any one out there have any experience with this issue?
Old Dec 28, 2000, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
TrojanHorse,

I have been getting my car bonuses for Hilton Garden Inns, but I don't see why Embassy Suites wouldn't give you these either.

Now, I doubt if Hampton Inns would be as willing, however.

Thx
Jamester
Old Dec 28, 2000, 4:15 pm

Originally posted by Jamester:
Now, I doubt if Hampton Inns would be as willing, however.
Don't doubt it - every HHonors hotel (including Hampton Inns) gives car rental bonuses. Unfortunately, you almost always have to tell a front desk clerk how to do it - they need to put your car rental company's 2-letter code (e.g., NA for National) in the "CR" box on their screen.
Old Dec 28, 2000, 4:51 pm

I almost always have to explain the airline bonus (as distinguished from the double dip) to the front desk staff as well.
Old Dec 28, 2000, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Yeah, you both are correct; at times my statements don't have the car rental bonus in them. (you could tell whether they put in the bonus by looking for the 'CR:' notation on the bottom of your charges; and for the airline, it should have your FF# printed on it)

For example, a good/solid posting is when you see the following line on your statement (each hotel may have slightly different format):

HH:xxxxxxxxx AL:yy A#:zzzzzzzz R:a CR:bb

Where
  • xxxxxxxxx is your HHonors number
  • yy is the airline code (UA for United, DL for Delta, AA for American, etc)
  • zzzzzzzz is your Frequent Flyer # (for Double Dip posting
  • a is (I think) the number of rooms
  • bb is the car rental code (NA for National RentACar, AV for Avis, HZ for Hertz, etc)

Most of the time when any of the above fields are blank and I'm already miles away from the hotel, I managed to get some help from the Great Adam Burke himself, by emailing him the hotel stay dates and the breakdown bonus amount I believe I'm entitled to. He may be found lurking anywhere on this board, where you may also find his e-mail address.

Thx
Jamester

[This message has been edited by Jamester (edited 12-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jamester (edited 12-28-2000).]
Old Dec 29, 2000, 3:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I believe that the Avis bonus is no longer available at the hotel. This changed sometime over the past year. I think that now you must provide Avis with your HHonors number and thus can't receive airline miles from them (Avis) if you go this route.
Old Dec 29, 2000, 9:02 am

For example, a good/solid posting is when you see the following line on your statement (each hotel may have slightly different format):

HH:xxxxxxxxx AL:yy A#:zzzzzzzz R:a CR:bb

Where
  • xxxxxxxxx is your HHonors number
  • yy is the airline code (UA for United, DL for Delta, AA for American, etc)
  • zzzzzzzz is your Frequent Flyer # (for Double Dip posting
  • a is (I think) the number of rooms
  • bb is the car rental code (NA for National RentACar, AV for Avis, HZ for Hertz, etc.
Also, don't forget the "AB" block - 250 bonus points for a flight taken within 24 hours of the stay on one of HHonors partner airlines (if applicable). Your "preferred" airline for double dip (in "AL") doen't have to match the one you were actually flying (in "AB").

HH:xxxxxxxxx AL:yy A#:zzzzzz R:a AB:nn CR:bb

Old Dec 29, 2000, 9:08 am

Most of the time when any of the above fields are blank and I'm already miles away from the hotel, I managed to get some help from the Great Adam Burke himself, by emailing him the hotel stay dates and the breakdown bonus amount I believe I'm entitled to.
A simple call to the HHonors Customer Service (800-548-8690) always (at least in my experience) fixes little problems (e.g., no CR bonus) right over the phone.

Old Dec 29, 2000, 1:55 pm
Original Member

I just had the same problem at the Embassy Suites downtown Denver. The front desk person stated that this particular hotel doesn't give points for car rentals; was she just ignorant of the CR field?

--BBQ
Old Dec 29, 2000, 2:29 pm

BBQ -- If your car rental was from National or Thrifty, your bonus points should have been added by every HHonors hotel.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 2:57 am

Do you actually get both the car rental bonus AND the airline bonus or do you have to choose one of them?
Old Dec 30, 2000, 4:42 pm

Originally posted by Lasse:
Do you actually get both the car rental bonus AND the airline bonus or do you have to choose one of them?
You get both. But you only get the former if you ask for it during check-in. The latter should be automatic, but I always ask them to double-check all the time.

Jamester

Old Dec 30, 2000, 5:51 pm

Ditto on Jamester's comments above.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 9:28 pm

I remember the reply I got the one time I rented a car and checked into the NY Hilton. I asked for the rental car points, to which the clerk replied, "You actually drove into Manhattan! Wow, you deserve points for that!.

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 10:22 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Although Hertz was mentioned in a previous post, I don't think you can get miles with them either. I know Alamo was dropped also. The National key chain I carry quit working for me at one Hilton...they demanded to see the contract. I gave the previous week's National contract since I knew they would ask and they actually checked the date on the contract. I had an Alamo that week and mumbled that I thought it was a National. This was the Southfield, MI Hilton Inn...they know all my ploys now...sheesh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.