FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Coylumbridge {GBR} (no longer Honors) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/365316-hilton-coylumbridge-gbr-no-longer-honors.html)

djb25 Oct 21, 2004 9:05 am

Hilton Coylumbridge {GBR} (no longer Honors)

anyone have any experience of this hotel? VIP benefits, best rooms, club floor etc?

Wudy15 Oct 21, 2004 2:38 pm

What can i say- Not the best Hilton in the UK. The rooms are small,no exec floor and if at weekends or at school holidays mobbed with tiny terrors!!

Have stayed there as Diamond on a few occasions and always felt very welcome by the Highland staff. Room was upgraded to a "Clubroom" which is a normal room with water,fruit,cookies,chocolates and wine (small items).

The hotel has a 60's/70's feel about it but as i say is friendly and quiet if midweek or outwith holiday season.

I used to prefer the other Hilton in the village but that was recently sold to Macdonald hotels.

Any more info or specific questions get in touch.

Cheers

Alan

Baze Oct 21, 2004 3:01 pm

I stayed at the Hilton Aviemore in 2001. Not sure if this is the one you are talking about or the one that was sold. This is the one that is up on the hill above the train station with the big field between it and the road next to the train station.. Hotel was kind of old but in a quaint way. Staff was great. Greeted by name everyday. The food in the restaurant was great. Would recommend it. Not much to do in Aviemore out of ski season but good jumping off place to go to surrounding areas by train. Dahlwhinnie Distillery is close by train and has a good tour and sampling of their wares.

Caledonia Oct 21, 2004 4:00 pm

If you are not set on the Aviemore/Speyside area, I would recommend the Hilton Craignedarroch a little further south. Earlier this year I was upgraded (as a lowly gold) from a standard room booked on a cheapy 'uk break' rate to one of the one bed suites with private car parking space.

If you are set on Aviemore, from distant recollection of family holidays gone by I remember the coylumbridge to be a superior hotel to it's 'in town' sister but I cant attest to any recent vip benefits.

Either way, enjoy your trip!

djb25 Oct 22, 2004 9:20 am

thanks guys. doesn't sound too bad. pity that a VIP upgrade seems unlikely. can anyone comment on the leisure facilities?

Wudy15 Oct 22, 2004 3:13 pm

There is a swimming pool/sauna in the hotel. If you like walking there are some great walks through Rothiemurcus Forest of which the hotel is set in and the village is a 15 minute walk.

Baze. Yes the one in the village overlooking the train station has been sold(Hilton Aviemore).

The other comment about Craigendarroch is great but this hotel is based on the east side of the Cairngorms (mountain range) and the transport links to the Aviemore area are pretty dire.

So if you are not bothered what area of the highlands you are in yes go for Craigendarroch, but it is pretty expensive.

More info check out www.rothiemurchus.net/

Cheers

Alan

Baze Oct 22, 2004 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Wudy15
Baze. Yes the one in the village overlooking the train station has been sold(Hilton Aviemore).

Thanks for clarifying.

PaulC Jul 24, 2007 4:05 am

Recent Stay

Just finished a reward stay at this hotel over the weekend.

I am a gold VIP.

Got the following Upgrades/Amenities

- Upgrade to Family Suite
- Comp Breakfast for 3 both mornings
- Comp Dinner for three one evening
- Usual Wine/Choclates/Some nice biscuits and tablet waiting for me in room.

Room was OK - bathroom was v nice. Rest of room was OK. But starting to look a bit tatty. Overall for a reward night was treated pretty good.

seacow Jan 27, 2014 6:23 am

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

Thought I would tag onto this one rather than start a new but had a really great stay at this property over the weekend.

Bascially needed one more stay to get Gold under fast track offer that I found a code for somewhere at the end of last year! Usually go to Glasgow but done that recently so a weekend at Aviemore was planned.

Had realistic expectations to be fair given what I had read about this being a little dated and not the usual property. The place was heaving at there was the annual dog sled racing on but our experience was great. The common areas looked up to date and fresh. We ate at the main restaurant during family dining time and couldn't fault the food. Drinks service was a bit slow but staff friendly and a warm bottle of white wine was replaced very quickly with no fuss.

Breakfast was superb - period!

The room was great - we had the family suite with a second bedroom with bunks. Again this must have been refreshed recently as the bathroom had been updated - decor was nice and fresh.

Pool was super - the roof looked like it needed attention but clean and big enough etc.

This is certainly a family resort with lots of kids so some running in corridors etc - we were there with kids so no problem for us. Plenty to do.

So surprisingly good experience and we will certainly be back!!

Flying Low Feb 19, 2014 1:50 am

It's for sale - [URL="http://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/News/Strathspey-hotel-put-up-for-sale-with-65M-price-tag-18042013.htm[/URL]

Still in Hilton's hands 10 months later. I like this hotel. Yes it's looking a bit worn around the edges, but the location s superb for the Cairngorms (I usually stay here if I've got meeting in Inverness the following day), great food at both ends of the day, and VERY good upgrades (I usually book cheapest room and get their best suite). Great welcome & service too.

FL

lifetimeblue Feb 19, 2014 9:28 am

I wonder why they are selling it? The hotel always seemed busy when we've been.

Maybe the lodges aren't doing that well?

adobbing Feb 20, 2014 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Scott Mooney (Post 22377392)
I wonder why they are selling it? The hotel always seemed busy when we've been.

Maybe the lodges aren't doing that well?

?

Didn't think they had lodges, I thought the only lodges were at http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/uni...RGV/index.html at Ballater

seacow Feb 20, 2014 8:35 am

nope lodges there too

http://www.hiltonaviemore.com/aviemo...nd-lodges.html

adobbing Feb 20, 2014 8:55 am

Originally Posted by seacow (Post 22383903)

No idea they existed along with the lodges at Dunkeld House!

It would probably help them if they put links on the webpages for the relevant hotels, it may well be that people who are in the market for a lodge don't even know they exist!

little_dc Feb 10, 2015 1:31 am

I have a booking this weekend at the Hilton Coylumbridge. From the reviews I'm not expecting much at all.

Any recent Diamond experiences? Drink vouchers? anything?

Thanks